Concealed carry weapon

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by Believer, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Now that I live in AR i'm going to get my CC permit. A guy at work teaches the classes and highly recommended the Smith & Wesson M&P series.
    What do you guys think of these?

thanks!

Eric

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    nice, but I would have to get a kimber 1911, I want to get my cc this year aswell

3. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Don't just go off of what people recommend, go to some gun stores and gun shows and pick up and hold everything you think you might like. If a gun doesn't fit you good you will give up a lot of accuracy and overall shootability. You could also go to some ranges that have rental guns and shoot alot of the ones you think you might like and get an even better feel for them. Good luck in your search.

4. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I agree with you and I will check out several. I'm just trying to get some input on this gun. One thing I like is that it comes with 3 different grips, small, med, large to fit different hand sizes.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I will make an assumption the M&P is for "Military and Police". My limited knowledge of these weapons are they basically are revolvers. A revolver has less moving parts and in some circles is felt to be better than a semi automatic. All my handguns have been revolvers, and I guess, until my dying day, all of them will be revolvers.

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    You're wrong and right. It is military and police but it is semi-auto.

7. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I am not familiar with the exact model you stated but as a general rule it's hard to beat a Smith & Wesson firearm. They are well designed, made, and finished. They are also very smooth operating. I also like a revolver when it absolutely has to fire. My caliber for up close and personal is a .38. Best of luck.

:cool2:

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Ditto what Lawrence said..I own both semi auto and wheel guns,single and double action.Both are great and will do the intended job.KILL !!! I chose to carry a wheel gun,snub,double action hammerles,38 special, as i know it will work first time out of the pancake holster in the small of my back.The reason i chose the revolver over the semi auto is simple,I don't have to think,Did I cock the damn thing? Does it have a round in the chamber.If I am ever in a situation where I have to use deadly force I don't want to be worrying about those things.The reason for cc are many and varried depending on ones circumstances.I for one don't even tell my friends that I'm packing and I keep it concealed,If you can imagine being in a grocery store and bending over and somebody sees the grip of your weapon or the gun itself it's katty bar thr doors cause the do- gooders will be calling the cops ASAP on there cell phones,then you have that situation to deal with!! (Hit the Floor and don't move) the Police will be Yelling.I'm Sure you get my drift,So Keep it compleatly conceled at all time,and if your not ready to take another persons life if need be leave it at home.JMHO.Be Safe and God Bless,J.D.

9. catfish10101

catfish10101 New Member

State:
    Des Allemands,
    I took the class but have not gotten my permit yet. However, I will not recomend any gun to you. That is a choice you must make for yourself. Take into consideration, size, weight, ability to conceal, capacity, availability of ammo etc..
    Most importantly, whatever you choose (especially if you get a Baby Glock or something like that), spend the time at the range getting to know the gun and get used to drawing it from your concealed position and shooting it.
    Pay good attention in class, I really enjoyed taking the class and if I never get around to applying for my permit, I am still glad I took it. Trust me, you will learn alot from the class, more than you think you will.

10. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken

Here in Ky,,After the class and the range, the director automatically sends the paper work in for your permit..:wink:

OH!! The Baby Glock..LOL..Is a sweet gun,,Its not all that small,but a great little gun, And its the choice I made, and I have'nt even shot the thing,,Pick it up and played with it for a minute or two,,It'll work..Nice gun.. cannow wait to start popping the rounds ..

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah thats a tough one to answer cause everyone has there favorites.But i will say i shot some with the m&p and i didnt like it,to me the sights didnt fit the gun that well,you could see light between the rear sight and slide and i didnt care for the trigger pull either.
    If i were a new shooter id go with a revolver its simple to use and they make them now that almost hold the same amount of rounds as an auto lol.Of course it dosent matter how many rounds you got if you cant hit with it.
    I carry a glock 23 which is a .40cal and sometimes i carry a springfield 1911 which is a small 1911,but it just depends on what im wearing.Id also recommend a springfield xd or the new xdm im thinking about getting one myself.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Here is what we carry and have for the last ten years. :wink:

13. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Shoot as many diff. guns as possible and get what you feel good with, but also think about howit will be carried. Check out diff. holsters and diff. ways to carry with the guns you like. Make sure it carries comfortable and not too heavy. The main purpose of a carry gun is to carry it. Its not doing any good at home on the dresser because you dread toting it.

14. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    In cold weather I carry Kimber Compact Stainless in a inside waist band holster.In warm weather it is a Colt .380 Pocketlite in a holster sewn in a tee shirt under the left arm. The best summer carry is something like a KelTec or a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster, in my opinion.

15. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I went to Academy Sports tonight and held the Smith & Wesson M&P 9MM, a S&W Sigma .40, a Glock subcompact .40 and a Glock .45
    The M&P felt the best by far in my hand but I don't like it not having a safety.

Eric

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Eric, I picked the Baby Glock for it's designed for carry. The handle is short but again it's made to carry concealed. For target we shoot Colt Pythons 357. They are too heavy and large for carry. Also because I reload 357/38.

Good luck with you gun choice.

17. fishinnut

fishinnut New Member

State:
    S.C.
    The M&P is a fine firearm with good pointability and ergonomics, fits the hand well, and with high capacity magazines ( which you should buy several if you can before they become banned again) as far as the safery goes revolvers don't have them either, it's just a mental thing, or another option would be leaving the chamber empty and racking the slide when you draw it, but you would need to practice this to become proficient. But then again like everyone else has said it going to come down to your personal choice, what you feel good with, what's comfortable with you.

18. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Personally I carry a model 66 SW and I think it is the best weapon I have ever had..being a snub nose I do not get the accuracy at large distances but it has been shown that most of the time weapons are used at close range. As other brothers have said and I would add is practice, practice, practice. I have worked with many people who carry weapons and it is amazing to watch some of these people shoot..some can barely qualify!! Another thing is I would recommend that when you feel you are proficient with the weapon, what every you carry, go to a safe place...run a hundred yards (or as far as you can without passing out) then try shooting reloading and shooting again. Your body acts totally different under stress and I was taught if you can control your weapon after the run you will handle yourself better if you ever have to use your weapon.

19. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    We won't face the same task as law enforement officers do. And I was a lil disappointed that S&W calls that unit the M&P. It will never be the M&P for anyone who's handled one of the old fine ones, when craftsman still made em and they were steel.
    Try and shoot what you buy. Go to a range that rents them, or a gun shop that permits that type of selection. You'd test drive a car. No difference.
    And concealed puts a whole new light on the matter. A duty size pistol gets left home too much, or left in the truck too much. Have some fun picking one out. Be safe.

20. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I own one Glock, one S&W MP compact, and one Springfield SD subcompact. All three are 9mm. I like the Springfield the best because: it has a cocked firing pin indicator, loaded round indicator, and an easy to work on striker assembly. I was also able to purchase Crimson Trace lasers for the Glock, and Springfield, but not the S&W. I believe the Crimson Trace people are in the process of getting one out for the S&W. They have it for the standard, not the compact yet. Of course you can get all the after market Glock stuff in the world. As far a shooting the three. I've fired hundreds rounds through all three without a hitch. Over 1000 through both the Glock and Springfield, and have not had a single jam. I doubt you could go wrong with any of them.