Concealed Carry Law

Discussion in 'LOCAL NEBRASKA TALK' started by strohcephus, Apr 3, 2006.

1. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Whats everyones take on the concealed carry law that passed, I guess Heinnaman (sp) is going to sign it.

Just wonderin....

2. foreverflathead

foreverflathead New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am kind of split on the idea. On one hand I see no reason why law abiding citizens should not be able to carry a weapon for protection, but I also believe that they should be required to go some form of extensive training so that we dont have a bunch of inexpierienced people running around with weapons and pulling it out everytime some one insults them or upsets them. With every right also comes alot of responsibility.

3. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I definately believe in the right to self protection, but I also agree with stringent controls to make sure only compitent, responsible, and trained citizens are walking around with concealed weapons.

Do you happen to have the actual legislature number for this? I've been on my 5th deployment to the sandbox now since mid January, so this is the first I've heard of it.

SudDawg

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Suddawg is like the Barney Fife of AirForce Security Forces, they only give him one bullet, and make him carry it around in his pocket :sad: Just kiddin, I think that it will be a great thing if taken care of right. Who knows how many people already carried concealed illegally, maybe it will kind of even the odds.

TA2D

Aaon

5. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Who knows how many people already carried concealed illegally, maybe it will kind of even the odds.

TA2D

Aaon[/quote]

There are plenty who carry illegally. There is no need to discriminate against law abiding citizens. Good citizens should be able to carry too. What do we have now, about 40 states with CCW? All I know is that mine is not one of them. Send thank you letters to my governor. His address and contact info is on another one of my posts.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I belive historically if weapons are taken out of the hands of the free law abiding citizens, crime rate actually jumps drastically, because you can take the gun from the taxpaying law abiding citizen, but the criminals will still have their piece, Mac 10, UZi, the list goes on, the criminals have the guns that are not supposed to be here, and no one knows until its too late. With firearms in the hands of citizens, it will help to even the odds, make that scumbag think twice before he tries to mug the sweet innocent looking granny! Sorry had to vent!

TA2D

Aaron

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I live in PA where we have the right carry. I have a carry permit and am glad for it. I wish it was legal in all the states to be legal.

8. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I am a police Officer in the state of Nebraska and I have read the final bill. The only good thing about it is that it has a lot of restrictions. The only way that it will work is if the state will allow us to enforce them with strict penalties. I am all for CCW as I used to be a gun dealer and am very pro firearms.

Although I do believe that the government needs to teach gun safety in school. They teach sex ed, why not gun safety. I think I would rather kids have sex(as they will regardless of what they are told) than accidently shooting someone or them selves.

9. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Being a Deputy myself, I'm right in line with Aaron, couldn't have said it better myself! Took a 45 off a drunk driver tonight in fact!
    Thanks for the great posts!

10. strohcephus

strohcephus New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    It's LB 454, sponsored by Jeanne Combs of Milligan. It will cost $100.00 for a 5 year permit. Included is firearms training and a background check.
    Basically you cannot carry in a public place.
    In short, If Ernie is against it I'm all for it!!:p

11. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    Missouri got their concealed carry law two years ago, and so far it has been great. I am an instructor and as such are the first person in the line up to weed out the people who have no business carrying a concealed firearm. After passing our class, the student must then pass an FBI background check and be approved by the local sheriff. They don't necessarily have to have a criminal record, if the sheriff knows them and knows they have a hot temper or are otherwise unfit to carry, he can veto them on that.
    I am also an NRA instructor for Basic Pistol, Personal Protection, and Refuse to be a Victim and have incorporated information from all three classes into my concealed carry class. Most classes don't contain that much information. I cover what physically happens in a gunfight, I am probably one of the few instructors in MO who has actually been in a real gunfight. Anyone can stand there and say "Well I'd blow that scumbag away if he tried that with me!", but it's a totally different ball game when your adrenaline is pumping, your heart feels like it is coming out of your chest, you can't hear, you can't swallow, everything goes into slow motion, you see the fire fly out of the gun barrel pointed at you, you feel your gun bucking in your hand, it feels like there is a weight sitting on your chest and you can't get your breath. Then if you survive, there is a whole different spectrum of physical and mental issues to deal with. Not to mention the legal questions that will be asked. One of the first things I tell my students is that after taking my class, they may change their mind about carrying a concealed handgun.
    If done correctly and responsibly, I feel it is every citizens right to carry a handgun to protect themselves or a loved one from being a victim. I think the biggest disappointment I see is that once you pass the initial training required for the license there is no further training required. I feel like the required training is only the tip of the iceberg and in no way makes you an expert at carrying a concealed firearm. It is only the basic minimum required by law. I think everyone should be required to take at least one more class within a year or so of getting their permit. There is so much to know about carrying a handgun responsibly that you can't possibly teach it in an 8 hour class. Our class normally runs ten hours or a little more and we put out ten times more information than most instructors do.
    I became an instructor because my wife, daughter, mother, sisters and other loved ones are going to be in contact, whether they know it or not, with people carrying concealed firearms. I wanted to have some input as to how those people are trained so if they have to use their concealed handgun, my loved ones don't become an innocent bystander hit by a stray bullet. Thanks for listening, feel free to email or IM me with any questions. Remember, the best way to win a gunfight is to be somwhere else! Boog

12. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    With the strict requirements that are going to be required, what are some of the prerequisites: FBI background check, training, etc. I am an armed security officer for a nuclear plant, and I carry a Glock 17 everyday when I am at work, I have had extensive training with this pistol, and know its capabilities. I also did four years in the Marine Corps, and did alot of firearms safety and handling classes and drills there. I know that this will help me out alot, and I am not expecting a waiver of the classes, because the more knowledge that I have the better off that I will be. I can't imagine that the requirements are going to be any worse than what I have had to put up with here at work.

Aaron

TA2D

13. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Barney Fife huh!

Now if memory serves when I was working with Army MPs in Alabama they were astonished that Air Force Security Forces carry their M9s with a round in the chamber and the weapon on fire at all times while on duty.

And also if my memory is correct a member of you're beloved Marine Corp shot the clearing barrel with his M9 two days ago, so I guess he get's my one bullet. Granted he was a stupid butter bar LT.

And again I'm all for the Concealed permit, I know it scared the crap out of me when I was stationed in Montgomery, Alabama.