compression question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by mandingo, Jun 11, 2008.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    what should an average to good compression be on a 96 merc 60hp?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Standard compression rating on an outboard should be 115 psi. The higher the better. Should be near the same readings on all cylinders. Lower compression does not mean the motor won't run, just you'll loose out on its peak performance. Some motors will run with the psi below 80, just not very good.

3. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    thanks Lawrence.i just bought a used 60 from a dealer.they ran it for me before they installed it,it had comp of 120 on both cylinders,they took it out on the lake to test run it,i took it for a spin when i picked it up,and 2 weeks later i go to fish a tourney and the darn thing dies on me before i even get to the tourney take off point.i took it back to the shop and the top and bottom rings are blown off of #2 cylinder.#1 still had 120# comp.to make a long story short,they are gonna replace everything and get it back the way it should be all at no charge like they should.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The main thing about compression is that you want all cylinders to be withen 10% of each other. A low compression motor will run okay but will be hard to start and top performance won't be at its peak. but is serviceable.
    As for your cylinder droping I would say someone just failed to do a good job on checking that motor out when it was returned to be sold.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    yeah i think they were trying to say that in a round-about way.