Composite Props?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fattiresc, Jan 26, 2006.

1. fattiresc

fattiresc New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Anyone tried composite props? I have a prop to replace and have been told this is the way to go. Seems a little weird to me, but technology is always progressing. My prop is below is in the conversation "tore up from the floor up, banged up props" http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6673&page=2 ... Scroll down to the bottom for an ugly picture.

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i have one and havnt had any problems with it they are supposed to break before tearing out the lower end whish is a good thing in my opinion. as for price yea they are a lot lower in cost. as for performance i didnt see any when i tested it agasint the metal one i have.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The way your prop looks, I think you'll be spending a fortune in composite props.

Build or buy a prop guard and get a quality prop.

Getting your trim fixed would help a bunch.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have run them on 2 motors and like them. but make sure you keep a extra one in the boat. AS you break them if you hit something. but there a lot less $$ then the othes.
    Pete

5. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    To save ya some money see what a rebiult prop costs. There just as good as new but cheaper.
    Bill:cool:

6. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Look on ebay/ I bought a new in the box stainless prop that retailed for around $500 for less than $150.

7. fattiresc

fattiresc New Member

State:
    South Carolina

Yea, I just bought this boat last summer. That damage was done by the previous owner. The rest of the boat is in really good shape, not sure how he was able to beat the prop so bad....

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The dealership outboard mechanic told me not to put a stainless steel prop on my Yamaha 25hp 4-stroke because it would transfer too much shock to the lower unit, drive shaft, and powerhead. I've got a new composite prop on it now; the old aluminum prop is still good enough to run at low speed to limp back on, should I shear the blades off the composite. I'm going to wait and see how well this one holds up before I go to the trouble of installing a prop guard.

9. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    the comp-prop work good but if they hit anything they will break one outher t5hing they will turn more rpms becouse of the weight may red line if not real careful.