Completly lost. Just moved.

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by E.T., May 15, 2009.

1. E.T.

E.T. New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I recently moved from Cambridge,OH where i had Sencea & Saltfork @ my back door, to Canal winchester (Columbus) where i have no clue where to start. I have been on a couple web sites and have noticed a few pointers, but i have no clue where to go and fish where i can have a little confidence in knowing i'm not waisting my time. My question is: Can someone one here help a country boy find a few good places to catch a Kat or two up around the city??

2. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Off the top of my head, I know the Scioto south of Columbus is good, there's also Buckeye Lake, Dillon isn't too far, and I don't think Deer Creek is either... depends on how far you want to travel... heck, Seneca and Salt Fork aren't too terribly far if you're willing to drive a little.....

I'm sure there's more than that, but I'll leave it to the big city fellas to tell ya... Good Luck!

3. claymont

claymont New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ive had some luck the past few times ive been to delaware res. nothing big just a few small cats

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Ok. Here's a little info for ya. I've listed these by size and distance from where you live (Canal Winchester). Hope this helps and good luck!

Larger Lakes & Reservoirs/(Acres)/Distance from Canal Winchester(Miles)
    Buckeye Lake (2847) 20
    Griggs Reservoir (364) 24
    Rush Creek Lake (300) 24
    Hoover Reservoir (3272) 25
    Alum Creek Lake (3387) 30
    O'shaughnessy Reserv. (1330) 35
    Deer Creek Lake (1277) 35
    Lake Logan (400) 35
    Delaware Lake (963) 45
    Dillon Lake (1325) 55
    CJ Brown Reservoir (2120) 56
    Paint Creek Lake (1190) 60

Major Rivers/Area Of River/Distance From Canal Winchester
    Scioto River @ Rt 762 16
    Scioto River @ Greenlawn Dam (Columbus) 16
    Muskingum River @ Zanesville Y-bridge 50

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    And let me know if you need any help finding smaller lakes/ponds/streams around the city where you can catch some cats. I know a bunch of 'em.

6. E.T.

E.T. New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the help fella's. I need & will take all the help i can get over in this kneck off the woods (or lack there of) LOL!!

7. E.T.

E.T. New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well that helps me narrow down several lakes and a couple rivers, but my question is now this: What is going to be the better of the the two existing catfish species for those locations and which do you think would be my better locations to target trophy Flats & Channels???

8. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Your close to Canal Win. I would probably start out trying Alum Creek.
    Nice Cat's of both species there along with some real nice walleye near the damn

9. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    dont be afraid of alum creek 71 North to polaris turn right and then left on Africa RD just a thought you may hook up with a few BOC fellers and get turned on to a few good spots

10. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Check your pm box.I Sent you more info on all the waters i posted about.Hope it helps.

11. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Off the top of my head...for big lake channels i'd rank Alum Creek,Dillon,Hoover,Deer Creek& CJ Brown near the top of the list with Paint Creek,Griggs and O'Shaughnessy being decent as well.The Scioto and Muskingum obviously also hold some whopper sized channels.
    For Flatheads i'd rank the Muskingum number 1 and the Scioto number 2 (The farther south of Columbus the better).
    Lake Logan,Deer Creek (Especially the tailwaters),Dillon (ditto the above) and Paint Creek would be my top 4 of the lakes for Flatheads (in no particular order) within 60 miles of your location.

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,lot of good channel lakes around ya.i would say some of the flat fishing is best in the scioto.
    if ya want some lake flats,don't know much about the lakes up there,but rocky fork would be first and paint creek would be second down around here.and both of those lakes has some really nice sized channels in them also.
    rocky fork is only about another 10-15 miles if that from paint creek.

13. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    I didn't include Rocky Fork because i had to cut it off at a certain milage from where he lives. If i'd gone to 70 miles i'd have had to include another bunch of lakes.:roll_eyes:

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Good luck fishing. A lot of good locations listed. I would try the Scioto river! I have had many good trips on that river. Highly recommend