complete bull...

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bad_fisherman21, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Bad_fisherman21

Bad_fisherman21 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use circles they dont get hooked.I use js i try to snagg them they dont get hooked.I try hitting the water with my fishing pole ): didint do much good either.What the heck am i doing wrong? I mean really only catch small ones and if i do it takes 15 tryes before i hook into one.If you got any tips tricks or ideas let me know.

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You might try a new spot!!! Or you can give the Eagle claw King Kahle hooks a try. My hook up rate went way up, when I left the circles and went to the Kahles.:smile2:

3. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    that was a fast reply and also i would like to add that this has happened in mutiple conditions and lakes so either i just suck or im doing something wrong

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    All I use is circle hooks. What size hooks and bait are you useing? I use 8/0 with whole live and cut shad and also bluegill. If your after smaller fish try down sizeing your bait and hook. A 5/0 would be better suited with a small piece of shad about the size of a quarter or smaller. Make sure to leave the hook point exposed, wait for them to bend the rod down, than reel down fast a few times on your reel before taking it out of the rod holder. They should be on for you at that point. You will still miss some but its usally because they dont have the bait all the way in there mouth yet.

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Relax there Ryan. LOL! What are ya targeting? Do ya have enough hook point exposure or is it burried in the bait? Are ya usein a knife at a gun fite? Evaluate what ya are doin and give us a bit more info to chew on. :wink:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Maybe, just maybe, your expecting too much. It's called "fishing" not "catching". All of us go through dry spells. The time of the year, the way a fish hits the bait, the type of bait, and many other small, almost insignificant things, add up to catching a fish or just "having a bite". If your table fishing, it does get expensive. If your fishing for pleasure, a bite is ALMOST as good as a fish.

7. switchback

switchback New Member

State:
    Illinois
    i have had that problem i dropped hook size by a lot and found out it was smaller fish

8. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What type of rig are you using (rod and reel)? You may need a stiffer rod for a better hook set.

9. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    When all else fails maybe you could go back to the down sized ole Carolina rig. 10-12 lb main and 8-10 lb leader with # 2 or even #4 bait holders "J's"and some crawlers.
    One heck of a fish catching rig.
    Your gonna find some drum ,bullheads and smaller channels but ya should find fish and your going to get a bunch of practice with those "practice" targets.
    Circles surley do require some serious adjustments to the process but they do work. Darnest no attention fish catchers you ever saw. Just leave them be till the rod loads up and put the smallest pressure on them till they tell you they felt the steel. Thats all. no more no less..

Good luck and get back after them. :wink:

r green

10. Bad_fisherman21

State:
    illinois
    I either use chicken liver loose line or bluegill tightline.hook tip always exsposed

11. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I would not give up just yet. Perhaps experimentation in needed or perhaps you need some different tackle, maybe a different spot. Each individual will have to find what works for them. I prefer circles. Good luck

12. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Try using treble hooks with that liver.If your setting the hook real hard try easing up a bit and wait a little longer before setting the hook.

13. clarkcfish

clarkcfish New Member

State:
    illinois
    get smaller trebles and try liver or some dip proly small channels just suckin ur bait not bitin it like that at lake argyle i just wait for pull to go in let them play till they almost swallow ur bait lay ur pole on a tackle bo lett em try to take it from u

14. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I'd have to agree with duckpoor completely.

Downsize until you start catching fish and go back to basics. Once you start catching fish you can start learning when to tighten up and set the hook. Once you have your confidence back you might try slowly increasing hook and bait size looking for bigger fish.

I taught my wife Cindy and our friend Sheila this year to fish the river. Started them out with light/medium spinning rod/reel, #4 hooks and nightcrawlers. They catch a bit of everything, and are having a blast doing it. They still don't have the confidence to want to fish for monsters yet. But both have hooked and landed 5lb plus fish, and lots in the 2 -3 lb bracket. Not bad for a pair of lady's over 50.

Myself I have looked at the circles, read, researched, looked, and read more. And I just don't think they are for me. However I just bought some Kahle's by Eagle claw that I really like the look of a lot. Can't wait to see how they hook up.

15. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    try not to tight line that bluegill,u gotta let him run a little bit,set your drag,or open your bail.which means when the fish hits,dont set ur hook,let him take out a little line.ive used liver all my life,and i got good with it until i started fishing for big fish.they have these assorted hooks in a catfish pack at walmart, well in that pack is a hook that looks like a kahle hook its shaped all weird, they work perfect with liver.but the big key is u have to use big chunks of cold liver on them,dont let the liver get hot,and i loose line while fishing with liver as well.and u will have them days where u will miss fish,thats just fishing.

16. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    After fishing a couple of times with them I am very pleased with the Eagle claw Kahle hooks. Getting more hookups than with J's, and it always seems to be nicely set in the corner of their mouth.

Keep experimenting, trying new spots, new techniques, new presentations.

One thing that has been a big help to me is using this tool to look for good locations to fish.
    http://maps.live.com/

Its a lot like google earth, only I don't have to install anything. Runs in Firefox or IE browser. Some area's have better detail than others. It won't show you everything, but it will show you where potential good spots are that are in easy walking distance.