Comparing fishing line and leader line...a test.

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by Flat Top, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    I have broken a few lines (rods and reels too) in my day, and it was all my fault. Truthfully I really cant remember a time when I could actually place blame on any of my equipment....it always seemed to me to be human error on my part..........using line beyond its useful age, improperly tied knots, wrong weight line for the purpose, improper reel maintenance, grooved rod guides, high sticking, not checking/securing the reel to the rod, not having the drag set properly......and, just not paying attention to what I was doing...which believe me gets harder with age!

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    F.W.I.W.,
    I only use the Vanish because it's not unusual to get two even three 2-3lb skipjack on at once and the 20lb test Fluoro is pretty invisible and I find its inherent stiffness helps prevent tangles when casting the multi-hooked Sabikis.

...W

3. TexzBluz

TexzBluz Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    Great review George.
    Maybe a little,
    Well a lot.
    "OVERKILL"
    I expected no less from someone who's favorite saying is: well, you know.

Nuclear Bill and Flat Top like this.
  4. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Bluz; My next test will be "Steel Leaders for Panfish"..............you wont want to miss it!!!!:roflmao:

5. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    I love it !!!

Nuclear Bill and Flat Top like this.
  6. Herbhome

Herbhome Well-Known Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    I just want to see the fish you needed it for!:smile1:

Flat Top likes this.
  7. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Just the standard blue gill, sunfish, and the like............."overkill....is way underrated!".

TexzBluz likes this.
  8. Herbhome

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Suuurrrre, this is for the occasional black piranha one runs into on the Missouri. :smile1:

Flat Top and TexzBluz like this.
  9. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Thats right Neill!!! Ya just gotta watch your fingers when you put them on the hook!!!

10. TexzBluz

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Billy
    He's planning a Texas Trip. Everything is bigger in Texas. Even the Perch.

Flat Top and Herbhome like this.
  11. Trophy Flathead Hunter

Trophy Flathead Hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Jon
  12. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    I am crackin up here!!!!:roflmao:

13. BCT

BCT Active Member

State:
    KY
    Name:
    Chris
    So you do not use steel leader? I thought you already did that... overkill and all that ... haha

Flat Top likes this.
  14. Herbhome

State:
    Arkansas
    Name:
    Neill
    Okay, that fish is now on my bucket list!

15. Catfish_Hunter_D

Catfish_Hunter_D Active Member

State:
    Maryland
    Name:
    Damon
    Ok, so quick question. When using a leader should it be heavier, the same, or lighter than your main line? I’m just now learning about the Santee Cooper Rig to start using it. I plan on using Slime Line Hi Vis Green.

Flat Top likes this.
  16. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Excellent point Winston. I have fish for skips several times with three jigs in tandem and the fluorocarbon would work very nicely for that. Keeping tangles down to a minimum is a very good thing.

Flat Top likes this.
  17. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom

Damon, the answer can vary. First the leader is most often clear momo or fluorocarbon. Some fish are more line shy than others so we usually go with clear leader to be safe.

The strength of the leader compared to the main line has two options.

First I always have my mono leader slightly weaker than my main line. That is because I want the abrasion resistance of mono but would rather break it off on a snag that to loose a lot of main line causing it to have to be replaces. So I use 65 # test braid for a main line and 50 # test mono leader.

Some have their leader stronger than their main line because the bigger diameter line (mono) is more abrasion resistant. If they are fishing a rocky or snaggy area they feel the abrasion resistance is the bigger benefit.

Flat Top and Catfish_Hunter_D like this.
  18. Catfish_Hunter_D

Catfish_Hunter_D Active Member

State:
    Maryland
    Name:
    Damon
    I use 30# braid for the river around here and 50# braid on my rods for bigger fish. I had always just used the same line for my leaders. So I should use a 20# mono leader for the 30# rods and a 40# mono leader on the 50# rods. Is that correct?

Flat Top likes this.
  19. Nuclear Bill

Nuclear Bill Well-Known Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Bill
    The leader is not necessarily 10 lbs heavier than the main line. Secondly No matter what leader you use the entire rigging is only as strong as its weakest link. The reasoning behind using the thicker mono leader is for abrasion resistance from trophy catfish. Well at least for me it is. Now whenever I catch a bluegill that's as big as that pickup truck bed I'm definitely going to have to up my main line and my leader line. I mean you know those bluegills are vicious!

20. Flat Top

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    Its all a matter of what you think you need for the conditions you fish, what somebody else's experience encourages you to use, or whether losing tackle and line (or fish) bothers you. It also depends on the terminal tackle rig that you are using.

For long hard casting I always use a mono shock leader that is 10 lbs heavier than my braid main line. The terminal tackle leader I use can be what ever is necessary for the conditions.

In most of my fishing scenarios (like 99%) I use a 50 lb braid main line and a 50 lb mono shock leader with a 50 lb mono terminal tackle leader. For me that is a good combination for weights of 3 oz plus bait up to 12 oz plus bait (that also depends on your rod and reel ratings as well). The 50/50/50 combination allows me to lob my casts to where I need to be and is good for the conditions I fish.

Using that combination I have only snagged twice this year (so far) and that was using a dropper loop rig with a 10 oz weight tied directly to the end of the dropper loop rig without a break away clip. In one case I finally broke free, lost nothing, and in the other case I lost the leader but not the braid main line and swivel. The leader broke at the shock leader to terminal tackle rig swivel knot. If everything else is correct, the knot is the weak link and in most cases the line will break at a knot.

A fella I fish with uses a three way rig and his sinkers are always tied to the terminal tackle rig with lighter line...if the sinker gets hung up he can break off at the sinker and in most cases save the rest of the rig.

I have also been playing with using paper clips to secure my sinkers to my dropper loop rigs and it has saved me some hooks and leaders over the years...but, the size of the paper clip determines how much weight can be cast and when the sinker will break off if it gets hung up. Also any light easily bending wire can be made to do the same. You would need to "bench test" that set up to insure that it will work for your sinker weight, line weight, etc.

I dont do this but I have known of folks that use different types of knots (weaker) to secure sinkers to the terminal tackle rig...the weaker knot being the weak point if the sinker gets hung up....allowing the sinker to break free first.

I am a bank fisherman, and I have found that a shock leader (twice the length of the rod plus 5 to 6 wraps on the reel ) protects my braid under the worst conditions (especially the big rivers) that I fish, and I would recommend a shock leader to all who bank fish and use a braid main line.