Commonly Found catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by sgreen3827, Oct 30, 2006.

1. sgreen3827

sgreen3827 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Hi Everyone,
    My wifes sister lives in Hoffman Estates Illinois and there is a pretty large lake right behind there house at least 1/4 mile long, I did some fishing there this past summer when we went to visit and caught some smaller bullheads on hotdog as well as a few nice sized carp on Corn. My question is what other kind of catfish could I expect to find in there next time we go and visit...is there a likelyhood of Channel cats or any other breed being in there? I'm from Philadelphia so I am not really up on what may be commonly found in Illinois lakes. I dont want to waste my time targeting fish that most likely aren't in the lake but as I said I really have no idea on what could be in there, my brother in law doesn't fish so he's of no help. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    steve welcome to the BOC,
    i dont know where hoffman is exactly but if its not close to a river ,
    i woul;d think maybe channels and bullheads may be about all the cat species in the lake,

some shrimp , crawlers , and cut bluegill oughta let you know if channels are in there.
    hope this helps.

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I know where Hoffman is...What lake are you talking about?Is it the one next to Harper College?Anyways...if it is,i have caught some channels there.They all took it on shrimp and cut up pieces of large roaches.I wouldnt be surprised if you end up catching a Flat there or any large body of water in Illinois.There was a 38lb Flat that was pulled from a decent size lake in a forest preserve nearby my house about a month ago.There was also a 48lb pulled from another forest preserve lake about 3yrs ago.You`ll never know what exactly are in the lakes these days...

4. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Welcome Steve. From Philly huh. Fish the delaware much?

5. sgreen3827

sgreen3827 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not positive what the lake is called..it's in a park directly behind my sister inlaws house...There is a school right by it but I dont think it was a college. When we visit next summer I will try some cutbait and see how I make out, given the size of the lake and the size of the carp I saw in there I figured there may be a chance of some larger cats lving there. Thanks!

6. sgreen3827

sgreen3827 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the welcome. I don't fish the Delaware as much as I would like as I don't have a boat and to be honest the areas I am aware of on the PA side of the river where you can access the bank aren't exactly areas i want to hang in for too long. I am looking into buying a boat this spring so Hopefully I will get to log in some hours this summer.