Common toads?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by LakeHoustoncatkiller, Mar 6, 2008.

1. LakeHoustoncatkiller

LakeHoustoncatkiller New Member

State:
    TX
    Anybody tried those old common toads for bait? Think they would work? Just an idea.

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The common toad is a land toad it will not last all that long under water. Also when threatened it will put off a hideous tasting foam from the two big warts just behind its eyes on its back. That is the toads defense. So, in answer to your question, I say no I don't think they would do good as bait but , also, you never know till ya try.

3. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i use sand toads they work for me caught alot of channels on them and bullheads open there stomach and put them on a hook u can catch alot on just one

4. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    I never used toads but suspect they probably aren't that good. I know they secret a mild toxin from the two nodes on either side of their head when they are aggavated or injured. It's a sticky milky fluid that just slowly oozes out. I know it will cause a dogs mouth to get all foamy if he messes with one and I think that's why dogs and cats usually leave them alone.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    a few years back we went to the great salt plains lake in oklahoma and it seemed that toads were the bait of choice by all the locals.there were toads all around the lake so it made sense to me to catch a few and try em.my first fish was a 15lb. channel within 10 minutes.we used toads and grasshoppers all weekend and tore em up

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    When I was in the Boy Scouts and working hard to EARN my Merit badges I used tiny bull frog hoppers as bait. Caught enough blue gills to manage to clean, cook and make the required meal from them. It was a very windy day and my troop leader did not dock me for the dust and dirt that he had to eat while judging my (Fantastic meal). Thanks for helping me to grow to be a MAN... (Thanks to all Scout leaders)!!!

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have used small common toads for channels for close to 50 years. they are great bait. catch them when they are the size of your thumb. I fish them both on the bottom and under a float. I have caught channels up to 20+ pounds on them.

8. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have never used toads, but I love the Grass frogs and so do catfish. Used them on bankpoles and rod and reel fishing,very good bait.