Common Courtesy on the Water

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    These days, it seems that a lot of folks that use our publc lakes and rivers have forgotten the meaning of the word, courtesy. I am sure just about everyone has a story or two to tell on this subject. I am on the lake a lot and I have enough stories to write a book. Just when I think I've seen it all, something else happens that I can't believe. Some of the stupid things I've seen people do are even dangerous, to themselves and to innocent people around them. The bottom line is, we should all do our best to set a good example for the ones that don't know any better. We have boating laws for good reasons and they should be followed to the tee. We also need to show all of our fellow fisherman (and everyone else that uses our public waters for that matter) a little more common courtesy.

2. fatcat_boo

fatcat_boo New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I can be fishing on the river and somebody on a sea doo will come by wide open close to me disturbing my fishing. i wish they would stop that. It also be some guys on them ski boats.

3. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Michigan is the only state I know that requires a boat operator license. They all should.Most people drive a car 365 days a year but only drive a boat a few days a year. Those damn jet skis are the worst.They will drive right up on you when you're headed into a no wake zone.They say jet skis only make up 1/4 of the boat registrations but account for over half the accidents. Boats don't have any brakes.

4. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep seen some real inconsiderate folks on the water. There are way more good folks than bad but the few bad ones I could live without. All I ask is the same consideration I give people. As with anything in life for some people it just all about them, they don't have any consideration for others.

5. DHW

DHW New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Alabama requires a boat operators license.

6. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    I totally agree with every state requiring a license to operate a boat. My opinion is that a lot of boaters really don't know the laws and rules. If a license were required it should be qualified by a test of the boating laws just like a car license test. There would still be inconsiderate folks just like there is on the roads but at least they could not plead ignorance.

7. southernfire97

southernfire97 New Member

State:
    mississippi
    mississippi does too if your under 30 i think it is. good law, but stupid knows no age!!!!

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yes, the stories I can tell and I've only been boat fishing for a few years!! What are some people thinking......................I hate to stereotype, but if its a bass boat, they generally have no respect for the rest of us and well the recreational boats just think we are in the way!

9. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I don't think it matters what type of boat it is. There are a lot of idiots in bass boats, but I also know bass boaters that will go out of their way to be courteous. There are jerks in every type of boat. I have been catfishing up the river and had jon boats run by me wide open 20 feet away. I have a big, fast boat but anytime I come up on someone in a small jon boat I will slow down to idle speed until I get past them and they usually smile and wave and say thanks, like they can't believe someone in a big boat is showing them that much courtesy. Makes me feel good and everybody stays happy. Just wish they would do the same for me.

10. LoLo25643

LoLo25643 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I thought I would take this time and say hello to everyone here. I've been lurking around the forums for a while and benefitting from the wealth of knowledge here. I just recently bought a boat myself and I had to take the test to get my V class added to my license. I owned a boat several years ago but then a boating license wasn't required. After returning to the water and seeing how really crowded it can get I can appreciate the reasons for Alabama going this route now. By studying the test material I learned a lot that I didn't know before but still common sense and curtesy goes a long way torwards making a safe trip for everyone.

Once again, hello to everybody and thanks for all the reading here.

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Steve.

12. LoLo25643

LoLo25643 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the welcome J.C., I'm really enjoying it around here.

13. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Welcome Steve, good to have you with us on the best catfishing wesite in the world.

14. LoLo25643

LoLo25643 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks John, I think it is the best catfishing site on the net.

Great thread right here. Ya'll be careful this weekend.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Very good post and reps to you for it.......I have noticed alot of inconsideration here and there round here but there are more good then bad!

16. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Thanks Kenny and welcome Steve.