Common Courtesy on the Water

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    These days, it seems that a lot of folks that use our publc lakes and rivers have forgotten the meaning of the word, courtesy. I am sure just about everyone has a story or two to tell on this subject. I am on the lake a lot and I have enough stories to write a book. Just when I think I've seen it all, something else happens that I can't believe. Some of the stupid things I've seen people do are even dangerous, to themselves and to innocent people around them. The bottom line is, we should all do our best to set a good example for the ones that don't know any better. We have boating laws for good reasons and they should be followed to the tee. We also need to show all of our fellow fisherman (and everyone else that uses our public waters for that matter) a little more common courtesy.

2. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    i totally agree with ya when i'm out on the waters usually at night but come the morning hours people start gearing up and heading out. well needless to say i'll see um gun it hard in the no wake zones tear up past ya like they want to drag, and throw all their garbage in the water like its a damn garbage can. trust me if i was on duty and a water cop trust me i would be out citing and arresting some of these folks, unfortuatly the game wardens and local county sheriffs aren't out on most of the lakes when they are they hit um up pretty good. but yes there should be harsher laws and at least 1 mabey 2 officers or wardens on duty at night near the larger waters. but until that happens i guess the most we can do is yell flip the bird and hope that their boat sinks or that one that keeps getting away eats um up. i'm sure someone will tell me i'm young and stupid and should not have wrote this but i'm voicing my opinion just as fishwestpoint has, we all have been there though young somewhat if not really stupid but as we grow older we mature well mabey for some of us. well i'm down i gots to get my gear ready for tonight take care brothers

3. jafacman

jafacman New Member

State:
    byron (macon area)georgia
    Something needs to be done but with limited on duty officers nothing will change :crazy: Early morn bassers have almost sank me with there high speed wakes...Ive learned to protect myself and expect stupidity from others....And know that nothings gonna change in the near future without the resouces(funding) to staff the larger reservoirs 24/7 ...just my 2 cents.........

4. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I don't even know where to start here. I've seen some really stupid people and some real jacka$$e$. When I'm on the water I try not to do anything I wouldn't want anyone else to do.

5. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    Go ahead Bumper, Let us know what you really think. I've been waiting all day for your reply on this matter.:big_smile:

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    David I could not have said it no better or put it together so well

7. LureheadEd

LureheadEd New Member

State:
    Geogia
    Well, I might ruffle some feathers, but I truly believe that we should have to have a boaters license... There's just too many idiots with no knowledge of the basic safety or courtesy rules of the waters...Kinda like the Hunter Safety course, it would'nt stop some people from acting the fool, but at least they'd have to read the rules once...

8. altamahajon

altamahajon New Member

State:
    Jesup, Georgia
    I agree one hundred percent on this one. You would really be surprised at the number of people that have never even looked at Rule or Navigation book. For instance. When I bought my boat I immediately took the course online, pass the test got my certificate and took it to my insurance agent when I put insurance on my boat. They asked me what this was. I told them from what I was told that if you take it and carry the certificate to the agent you get a reduction in rates. They called Atlanta and sure enough... I received a 15% discount. Now if an insurance agent doesn't know what it is first of all either no one insures there boats......and or no one has ever presented one to them and not many people are taking it. I know this because of the navigation and things these folks are doing on the water that is dangerous and ridiculous.

It's cheap and well worth the information and knowledge.

AJ

9. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Not to make this into a high intensity forum, but some of the stuff I've witnessed on land or water, really chaps my a$$! I've had jet skis come within 2' of my dock and tangle or bust my lines. Yelling doesn't help, but it feels good.:roll_eyes: Heck the most stupid response I get is " sorry I didn't know you were fishing there".:tounge_out: You mean to tell me that you have the whole entire lake to jet ski and you have to come and almost deliberately hit my dock? Dumb A$$es!!!:angry::confused2: I would just like to see some cooperation on the water and land. RESPECT each other. Give them some distance. You see someone fishing, SLOW DOWN and go the other way!!! I don't mind jet skis, if the operator can show some respect and stay the HE!! away from me or other fisherman. And this same rule applies to pleasure boaters and some fisherman too, that think they own the lake.

Just my thoughts!!
    Thanks!!
    Mark..

10. Bait Bandit

Bait Bandit New Member

State:
    West Georg
    I feel yalls pain and agree. As for the boating course I thought the state was going to that for the younger kids like they started the Hunter Ed program, my son took one back last year for boats under 16 ft/35 hp and Pwc's from the DNR and my understanding was to drive you had to have the class, not that this helps,just look at the people driveing now a days .

11. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    I feel a license to boat wont change a thing look at the way people drive cars..... Drunk or in a hurry it doesnt matter we have turned into a me me me society who cares if they tip you over they were in a hurry to the honey hole I dont like it but it is the truth All a license says is you passed a test that doest mean some of these goofballs we run into will heed what they have learned

12. Sultan of Slime

Sultan of Slime New Member

State:
    GA

x2
    And dont even get me started on the GLITTER boat guys:beat_brick:

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've been a bank fisherman most of my life. Some of the things that I have seen is just simply amazing. Just when you think you've seen it all, someone else comes along and blows it away. One of the biggest problems I've seen is a total disregard from boaters to the bank fisherman.....they blast by you like your not even there or your fishing isn't as important as theirs. I've seen them hang into my lines on purpose, I dont know why, but they do it anyway. I had them to drop anchor right on top of my lines and when I said something about it they just ignored me. Me and a friend was fishing from the bank one time on Old Hickory lake in Tennessee, and a couple of hot shot striped bass fisherman come flying up to the spot we were fishing. They were throwing a 3' wave and just as they got to our lines, they threw out an anchor and was sitting right on top of our lines. They cranked up the radio so loud that they couldn't hear us swearing at them. My friend was some what of a hot head anyway, and since they couldn't hear us, he picked up a 10 lb rock and threw it at the bow of the boat, just barely missing the $30,000 boat. They looked around and started cussing us. My friend started cussing them up one side and down the other and threatened to put the next rock in the boat with them. They cussed some more and then decided to move on. I always try to be polite to other fishermen when out on the water. Sometimes polite just doesn't work. I handle it on a personal basis. If someone is being polite to me ...I will be polite to them. If someone is being a jerk...I will be a jerk too. If this doesn't work, and all other tactics have been used. Then it just might be time for some " RAMBO " style tactics!!!!!!! This seems to get attention real quick....LOL:crazy:

14. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    A paint grenade might get their attention. They spew out bright green paint to a 30 foot radius. They are available wherever paintball supplies are sold. :crazy:

15. Fivebraids

Fivebraids New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree with most of the replies here.

Our BIGGEST issue is with WAKES! I mean sheesh, we're in a little flat bottomed jon, and when some reckless fool goes flying by at WOT, half the time we end up scrambling trying to reset our anchor, or reclaim our limb clamp that's now sinking in the river!

We always SLOW DOWN when we see another boat...anchored or drifting.

Everyone should do the same!

- Marty -

16. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I cant believe that I never even thought of that.............AWESOME IDEA!!!!!:big_smile:

17. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I thought you would like it. :big_smile:

18. armyfisher

armyfisher New Member

State:
    georgia
    great idea with the paint grenade, heck even one of those cheapo paintball gun for 20-30 bucks would do the trick to. either that or a patato cannon, then again you might sink a boat or 2. i got a bunch of paint ball rounds for a 9mm berreta with the adaptable barrel, that is if you have the army berreta if so let me know i got more rounds than i know what to do with. :big_smile:

19. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    There was a time around here, way back in the day, when the waters were populated only with rednecks, semi-rednecks, and a few of the well-to-do who liked to get out of their crowd and hang with real people now and then.
    For the most part it was a small crowd, and if you did not know someone, someone you did know, knew them. Often, it was impossible to have a day to yourself on account of folks recognizing your boat, or you on the bank, and motoring by to share a cold one. Yep, spontaneous parties were the rule rather than the exception. And yes, the alcohol flowed like the river.

Yet, courtesy reigned because, number one, your Mama taught you, with a switch or the back of her hand if you needed it, not to be an ass. And number two, if Mama's lessons did not take, there was always someone with a tire tool who was happy to give you a remedial course in manners if you needed it.

Different days I guess. I wonder if it is just the fools who are to blame?