Commerical fishing?

Discussion in 'LOCAL FLORIDA TALK' started by MattW, Oct 20, 2006.

1. MattW

MattW New Member

State:
    Florida
    Any of you boys Commerical fish the rivers and lakes here in Florida?

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Not technically, I do posess a commercial freshwater license but only so I can put more hooks in the water. It only costs about $20.00, which is much cheaper than a fine.

If I was really trying to operate commercially, I'd go broke quick:embarassed: ,no more fish than I catch.

Sad.........But true........

3. MattW

MattW New Member

State:
    Florida
    It was just an idea I was tossing around. a few hundred pounds of fish over a week end would buy alot of fishing gear!
    Running about 500 + hooks.

I would think that there is a strong market here in Central Florida. I could be wrong though!

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I talked to a few commercial guys & they are mainly using fish traps, they keep the areas chummed up, since they live in the area that's no problem for them.

The most hooks I've had in the water @ one time was 121, It was a full moon & I didn't catch crap:sad2:

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    With all the fish farms for cats and talapia,I'm thinking it would be tough to make more than you spend on gas and equipment.The way to go is providing bait for the saltwater fishermen.Check out some of the prices they get for pinfish,shrimp,porgies,shiners,etc...,then compare to what you would get for the freshwater fish your targeting.

6. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    I've been curious about this for a while also... I read an article by Phil king I beleive, that said he started his career by commercial catfishing. I wonder, how do you get into something like that? Not that I would harvest cats commercially, just asking.