Commerical Fishing-How Much Damage?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Grits, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Hello Everyone

How much damage does commerical fishing do to our sport? In my opinion, selling game, with few exceptions such as trapping, is wrong and a determental practice.

How do the rest of you feel?

Grits

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    After my experience with those guys today I can't even comment. I need to wait until I cool down a little. I am ready to start lobbying against them!!!!!!:angry:

I'll say one word for tonight..........

GREED!!!!!!

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    They exploit a public resource for personal profit, without making any capital investment in that resource.

But then, that would apply to tournament fishermen, too.:tounge_out:

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    yes but tournament fishers are not taking any of the resource with them.

5. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    well if you all would loook or fish one of these turnament most of the time you dont make any money of these turnaments i could bet you one thing i could not make a living off fishing these things for sure its more for fun to me then any thing as for the gill nets a good sharp knife will take care of that for you

6. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    In my opinion, sportfishing promotes conservation.

Grits

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OH NO! here we go again. LOL! I always enjoy these threads. LOL! I best get another pack of smokes and some more ice. This may be better than football today. LOL!

8. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Please understand, I am not talking about guide services, tournament fishing or anything of the nature that involves sportfishing. I am addressing commercial fishing that takes large quantities of catfish and sells them at market.

I support guide services and tournaments. What would be the reaction if the large mouth bass was caught in nets and sold? I think the reaction would be the same as someone selling waterfowl.

Grits

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thats one of the problems. The water is "FOWL" and folks are payin to eat these fish.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I definitely think that catfish should have gamefish status, and therefore illegal to sell, whether dead for eating, or live for a pay pond. I don't have a problem with the theory of commercial fishermen catching rough fish, such as carp, but policing would have to be a lot better than it is now. I've often seen F&G officers waiting to see if castnetters were careful to throw back every illegal fish, but I've never seen one check a commercial fisherman. I commercial fished for a couple of years back in the late 1980s, and I was never checked for anything, even a license. If passing new laws helping to establish catfishing as a fishery attracting both local and tourist dollars is a big step in the right direction, so is enforcement of those laws, and laws already existing.

11. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I agree with George about them selling fish from our large rivers,They all have advisories against eating more than 1 meal per week/month on most.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you are going to make an argument over making money off public water or land, alot of current activities would have to stop, included guided hunts and fishing. Charter services whether flying or boat.
    Even businesses along waterfronts that rely on boat traffic.
    Gas stations on the water would have go.
    Barging would have to go.
    Even boat dealership test rides would have to go on public water.
    Tournaments would definately have to go.

You cant tell one group of people they cant fish anymore because its wrong to profit from public water. You would have to make it illegal for one and all to profit from public water.
    You know, we dont have black bathrooms and white water fountains in this country anymore.

In my opinion, gamefish status doesnt change anything.
    A state can declare a fish a gamefish and put absolutely no restrictions on it in which case you've accomplished nothing.

In my opinion if you ask what damage is commercial fishing doing you have to ask the really difficult questions like what if there were no commercial fishermen or what impact does recreational fishing or tournament fishing have on fishing.

You know BASS has its dirty little secrets its kept for years in regards to tournaments.
    2 days after all the banners , trucks, and boats were gone it wasnt uncommon for 100's of fish to be found floating within a mile or two or even the next cove down from the weigh in.
    People have tried to stop those tournaments for years.
    New livewell systems have come out and solved alot of these problems if they are employed.
    I think a certain amount of fishing is healthy including commercially.

What I'm saying is you cant take commercial fishing and say how much damage its doing without having something to compare it to.
    I mean, sometimes I look around me and I'm the only one throwing ANYTHING back. These are recreational fishermen.
    WHen I think how many recreational fishermen there are compared to commercial fishermen I have to wonder who is really causing what.

13. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I think Mark J's post was excellent. It is easy to be against what we don't do. Guides take lots of fish out. I think tournaments kill more fish than most people think, but I don't have the figures to prove it. I guess since I don't guide, tournament fish, or commercial fish, I should be against it all. I am not, I hope the agencies will be able to regulate for healthy populations and we can all enjoy the resources.

Jim

14. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Really? Its only the 267th time we've seen it. LOL!

15. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    The problem with this is customers at restaraunts and grocery stores are not told where the catfish on the menus are coming from. if there is an advisory on how much to eat, then it should be illegal for commercial fishermen to sell them to the public.

Ive personally witnessed a fish wagon with live large Flatheads being transported to, which I assume were going to a pay lake, and on the front of the trailer were 4 dead Flatheads ( all over 20 pounds). So the problem is the middle man here buying live fish from commercial fishermen to sell them to pay lakes.

I think new laws are in order here to eliminate these activities.

16. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Regulations vary from state to state. I am not talking about gas stations or bait shops, I am talking about taking catfish, primarily in nets, and selling them.

Arkansas, sportsmen have a limit on catfish. Why should not those limits apply to commercial fishermen? Believe me, I have no problem with the word profit. I run my own business. I am a capitalist. I oppose a few people selling a sportfish as I would if the same people were selling wild deer or waterfowl. In my part of the world, you go to jail for selling ducks.

Grits

17. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I think you missed what I was saying.
    Someone said something about commercial fishing making a profit off of public water.
    I said that wasnt a valid argument considering there are alot of ways people and businesses make a profit off of public water and land. You would have to cut it all out including what may benefit you.

I'll tell you, I am opposed to the sale of live fish.
    I'm not against commercial fishing. Thats not saying that I approve of unregulated commercial fishing.

18. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If I'm not mistaken it is illegal to transport live fish from one body of water to another anywhere in Tennessee. Not sure about out of state transport. I have mixed feelings toward the commercial fishers. I am self employeed and demand the right to be so. Therefore they have a right to their profession as well. The sale of fish from waters that have contamination warnings is a whole different thing. All of the nets that I see are for spoonbill. These guys are only interested in the eggs. Although I'm sure there are those that sell whatever they can to whomever will buy them. I used to go to the river to fish, having a certain place in mind and upon arriving there find that MY fishing hole had nets in it. Now I just find or try to find the fish somewhere else, instead of getting angry. Thats just me and my 2 cents.

19. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    If you are not familiar with the Pittman Robinson Act, Google it and see who is protecting wildlife and footing the bill.

We are paying for a resource that is owned by all of us for a few to sell at market. If it is okay to sell wild catfish, why not sell waterfowl, deer, elk, bear, trout, bass, crappie, sturgeon, and maybe an eagle or two. I guess everyone has the right to make a living, even drug dealers.

Everyone has the right to make a living but not at the expense of others. My rights stop where yours begin.

Grits

20. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I don't now how NC is, but in every other state I have been too, when a fish is registered as a gamefish it automatically has restrictions on it. In KY it is unlawful to sell any gamefish or any part of that fish. so if the status is acheived the restrictions automatically take effect. Vern