Commercial Fishing

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by BigB, Dec 3, 2007.

1. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Anyone go fishing this weekend between Barling and Ozark? There are nets every 50 yards both sides of the river.That makes 2 years in a row they netted this pool. I thought they were suposed to change pools every year. I know last year fishing really got poor when they were thru. And now i'm sure its gonna get even worse. What do ya'll think about this?

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I don't know anything about changing pools every year , but I do know that commercial fishing does put a hurt'n on the fishing after their through. Whether it's a lake or a river it takes a long time to recoop.

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Those commercial guys could care less about the damage they do to a system as long as they get that almighty dollar. They are raping the ohio river as well and there is no end in sight.

4. O2Bfishing

O2Bfishing New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    in every state every where you go. there they are ? what ever happened to fish farms ?

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Big B i was between ozark and Dardnelle pool no nets. It happens when the current is non-existant a lot in the river. The pool was really down too so it makes netting easier for the folks that do it. The guy i met a couple years ago puts out nets but he only keeps rough fish..gar carp.drum etc..sells it to the cat-food plant, so i dont know about that end of the river and what there target is.... i hate it when they stretch them all the way across the channel i have hit a few in the past they tried to hide and it is not fun getting them out of the prop. Big B i just thought that it may be spoonbill season too i bet that is it. It dont last too long though. Them boys are after the eggs.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Thats why me and Big Sam do the bulk of our fishing in Oklahoma. In my opinion they should be outlawed. They are against the law in Oklahoma and thats why the fishing is so much better on the Arkansas River as soon as you cross the state line into Oklahoma. The commercial fisherman hit this section of river hard and it's a wonder you even catch a catfish in this stretch around the Fort Smith area.

7. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I talked to the game warden last week. Spoonbill season run from Dec. 1 through Jan.I also noticed fishing got bad after the nets were put out last year. he said they monitor the boat dock for the first week and only one guy had kept any catfish other than spoonbill. He said the game and fish comm. wanted just 1 month but the legislature set it for 2 months. Last year I talked to a comercial fisherman, not a spoonbiller though. He said they were getting over 100 dollars a lb. for spoonbill eggs and a large one would have around 71/2 to 10 lbs. i can kinda understand why these guys are doing it. It may have been just the colder weatherand the shad die off we had but fishing sure wasn't good here when the season on spoonbill was over. I don't put a boat in water with all of the nets, and can't really find a place to bank fish. I haven't been since last wed. and probably won't go till Feb. lol

8. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Sam, it is just in this pool and yes it it is spoonbill season but you know their keeping catfish to.Last year started out good catching lots of fish with good size to them the week they set them nets it was over didn't catch much over 10 lbs. and the biggest iv'e caught this year was 20lbs. The year before i had days when 20 was the smallest fish....................................... Johnny iv'e never fished Oklahoma mainly because i know nothing about it and always done so well over here. Maybe come Jan. i'll go get a licence and start exploring.

9. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    That's one reason Johnny and myself fish over there. 42.50 for 1yr out of state:eek:oooh::smile2: 5 bucks of it is save the wildlife or soilconservation, or....:tounge_out:

10. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Hrmm.. seems like we need to band togethor and get the laws to change..example you wnat ot be a commercial fisher in a state NOT bordering a body of Salt water you can buy your own land fill your own pond and only harvest your OWN fish for sale .. and make the tax's heaving to only go back to restocking and conservation... all in favor of electing JW to take on this task..raise your hand! ( raises hand!)

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I live here in SE Iowa 4 blocks from the Mississippi River and I know what you're talking about when you're talking about commercial fishermen ruining the fishing for us rod & reel fishermen. I have personally witnessed ton after ton of catfish taken from Pool 19 here where I live at. I can speak from experience that the rod & reel fishing here is nothing compared to 5 yrs. ago.I know of 2 commercial fishermen who fish over 100 hoop nets every winter under the ice and in the spring when the ice goes out I have witnessed with my own eyes as much as 10 tons,that's right 10 tons of catfish come out of those nets. Thats not even counting the dead fish that they dump out of those nets every spring. About 3-4 yrs. ago I seen those 2 guys bring in a boat load of at least 10-12 flatheads that were all over 50#. What are you going to do though when the DNR won't do anything about it. All the DNR cares about is the money they get from those guys for their licenses and tags. I haven't even mentioned the commercial trot line fishermen that fish every day of the week in the summer time around here. I can't imagine that any of you anywhere has it any worse than we do right around here. If you do I certainly feel sorry for you.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, it's not a matter of convincing the DNR; they don't make the laws. What you do have to do is get the attention of the politicians and the state dept. of tourism. You get the attention of the politicians through increased revenues for the state, but even more so, increased votes for the politician. After all, the politician's first priority of business is not to represent the people, but to get reelected. Find out how many signatures it requires to get the question put on a ballot. Get up some petitions and get the signatures. The dept. of tourism? They exist solely to get tourist dollars spent in your state. One way of doing that is to make the catfishing there so attractive that catters come from out of state to fish there. Visiting fishermen spend money just like any other tourist. Most states spend millions of dollars trying to attract tourists, so it's a given that fishing tourists attracted by excellent catfishing would spend a lot more money than the state gets from commercial licenses and fees. And don't be afraid to play a little dirty pool; after all, it's politics. Consider supporting the goals of other groups in return for their support of your goals. Even PETA (ugh!) might very well consider that killing a few catfish for sport is the lesser of two evils when compared to the huge number being killed by commercial fishing.

13. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission is appointed by the Governor. It is independent from the legislature. Now, the majority of the AGFC funding comes from a 1/8 cent sales tax that is split between, Parks and Tourism, AGFC, and picking up litter, with the AGFC getting the lions share.

In my opinion, to stop commercial fishing, you must get the attention of the commissioners. The best place to start is with letters. Letters not only to the commissioners but to the press.

I do not believe catfish are considered a game fish by the AGFC. If not, they should be. Restrictions on the Mississippi River are minimumal. It would take all states bourdering the Misissippi River to effect change. I feel it is important that Arkansas, Tennessee, and Mississippi sportsmen ban together and be heard.

In my opinion, commercial fishing has outgrown its usefulness. Sportsmen and conservationist (if you are not a conservationist, you are not a sportsman) suffer when wildlife has commercial value, other than the right to pursue it. One of the best examples are ducks,up the the early thirties, and the white tail deer. During the depression, the deer population, in Arkansas, was estimated to be five hundred.

Before federal regulation stopped the practice, ducks were slaughters and sent to market. My grandfather told me how ducks were shipped, in ice packed barrels, north to restaurants. My family is from Stuttgart. We hear about market hunting on the Chesapeake Bay but it was very much alive and well in Arkansas, especially on the White River.

I will do my best to determine the process of getting catfish recognized as a game fish and promptly post it.

A good start would be to notify the press and the AGFC of every catfishing tournament in the state. In my opinion, if the powers to be knew that there are people, like us, actively fishing for catfish, things would change. The first step is to educate people about our sport. The blue cat is the third largest game fish in North America and they are fun to catch.

Grits

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't just let them know about the tournaments here in Arkansas; show them how they are losing tourist dollars because of tournaments in neighboring states. Another aspect to bring to their attention is the tourism created by catfish guides in the state. Arkansas & Tennessee compete hard for the same tourist dollars. There are several nationally known catfish guides in Tennessee, attracting fishermen from other states. Those visiting fishermen spend a lot more money than just buying out-of-state licenses. Now, I'm not knocking Arkansas guides, but I personally don't know of any that have a national reputation. Other than BOC gatherings, and the occasional tournament, I don't know of many catfishermen visiting Arkansas just to catfish. If I'm not correct in any of this, please bring it to my attention. If I'm going to get up on a soapbox, I'd at least like to be right.

15. Big Sam

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Sorry Big B there are nets out down this way now also:eek:oooh: Went last week and they have one out down from the Ozark dam about 8 miles south. Stretches about 200 yards at least! The boat showed to run it. At first i thought it was a trotline then i watched them pulling it up and pulling the fish in. nothing but rough fish though i was glad. When i left that area i began catching fish though:tounge_out:

16. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    speak up about it!!!!!! we all have to bug the people that make the laws! look online for petitions for up graded regs,and send emails to dnr. eventually it will change just not fast enough.

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    I noticed the nets the other day crossing the river. Couple years ago it was plastered all on the front page of the Fort Smith News paper, Fella was a spoonbill netter but he was holding up a 50+lb Flathead..... It was nice to know that a flathead of that size was in that stretch of water, but sad to know that many of them will die due to those nets. Im not a fan of nets, but I understand a man has a right to make a living. A short season would definantly help, but as long as these fellas are making that kind of money for the eggs it wont stop, that wheel has already been greased I gareentee it. All we really can do is pitch our speech and hope someone will listen. Perhaps when the catfishing sport gets as large as the bass sport (which it is well on its way!) Then it will get more attention. I am like Big Sam I like fishing in Oklahoma, and I like fishing on the Mississippi River, but the last time I was on the sippi last month most of the rock dikes were covered up with nets so not much better there. Mac

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The only thing that will stop these netters is extinction of the targeted fish, or laws to stop them...I know of people who have fought for years to get them stoped and with no results...It will take a major effort, and time, and money..Most of us dont have the time or money...Sad I know!..Bass fisherman banded together many years ago to get laws in place to save there fish, are catfishermen willing to do the same?

19. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Several years ago Florida sportsmen and businesses that worked with sportsfishermen(tackle and bait shops, marinas, fishing magazines, boat makers ect) were successful in a fight to get most gillnets banned from our waters. Since then the fishing has improved tremendously and is getting better every year. Commercial fishing had all but wiped out the redfish, mullet, seatrout and several other species throughout Florida.
    BAN THE NETS !! was our war cry. Stop them now before you lose all your big breeder fish.

20. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    sounds like what you lack is organization. call for meetings state wide, get petitions out in every sporting goods store , bait shops, gun shows, it wouldn`t hurt if one of the bigger news papers to get on you band wagon. in order to get the average person on your side they must be educated about the unfair advantage the use of nets are to the fish, they don`t just catch rough fish they catch any thing that swims into it. it seems to me bass fishermen are the ones with all the money, some what like golfers (if you know what i mean)get these bass fishermen all stirred up and you might get some thing done. GOOD LUCK!