Commercial Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by price, Oct 14, 2007.

1. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    There will be a TWRA meeting at Gatlinburg this month. Check the website. Commercial fishing being banned on certain lakes, and lakes that are currently closed for commercial fishing will be brought up. The commercial fishing idiots WILL BE at the meeting. Thet (East TN) commercial fshing group has hired a lawyer that was present at the last meeting. Sport fisherman who hate commercial fishing and the commercial fisherman (I do) need to take a day off work and come to the meeting and tell the TWRA what you think. I have already ask for the day off and will be at the meetinga nd give them thelow down of what sport anglers think about them and commercial fisherman. It would help if more tahan just me woud be there. I will be there no matter what. Just remember if they are allowed to continue to sell these fish from ceratin waters I hope that you have a good cancer plan when you eat catfish at a retaurtant and do not know where it came from.

2. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    just a question, why do yall hate commercial fisherman so much? there just trying to make a living like you are?

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    There needs to be twice as many sport fishermen in attendance the commercial guys(those that are afraid to get a real job), to make this work. I wishcould be there to join you. Seeing how I live in Ky, they aren't going to listen to anything I say!!!

Can you post a link to their website or a contact email address to send them our thoughts on this matter??? It would be greatly appreciated.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    At this point and time, you are not aware of the damages that they are doing to the catfish populations in our rivers and lakes. There are those that don't abide by the rules and if it is banned in certain areas there will not be a loophole for them to use to break them.

We are trying to do this to save our rescources for future generations. How would you like to have to tell you grand children "Back when I was a kid, we could catch catfish all the time till the commercial fishermen stripped the rivers of them"!!! This is why we hate them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Commercial fishrman make a profit off PUBLIC resources. I do not go out and trap live deer in TN and sell them for profit to NC private hunting clubs. That would be wrong to all the guys that hunt, and I would take public resources and sell them (catfish or deer) for my own private gain. The other fact is that there are so many catfish farms that raise catfish we do not need them. The last item is that all the ones that I have met on the lakes I fish are jerks and routinely break the law. Make up your own mind, but my right to fish along wit 100,000 other anglers in TN outway the right of 300 people to abuse public resources. Commercial fisherman will also regret me taking the day off work and driving to Gatlinburg. I can't wait to lay into them a the meeting. I am counting the days down.

6. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I'm sure there's some good folks out that are commercial fisherman, but yeah, they seem to have an overwhelming percentage of rude jerks. But that's not really the problem. I've seen the devastation from commercial fishing in much larger bodies of water then our inland rivers and lakes. These folks operate without limits. The profit by far outweighs any potential consequences in their eyes. Really, we can make all the rules in the world, but without enforcement, which seems to be an even bigger problem, what's the point? Practially the only time I ever see TWRA guys is on Memorial and Labor Day, and they're more out to harass the pleasure boaters.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Personal habits of commercial fishermen aside, a lot of the real problem would be taken care of if the states would simply classify the catfish as a game fish. I don't know if any state allows commercial fishing for game fish such as bass or crappie, but I sincerely doubt it. If they do, they need to don't! I also happen to think that nets should be clearly marked with floating buoys every 20' or so, so people can avoid them. This seems like it would work in the commercial fisherman's favor, because he's got to know that whenever anybody gets a net in their prop, they cut the net all to pieces. I really can't sat that I have any problem with commercial fishermen taking out all the carp and buffalo they want, even though carp are considered a game fish in some parts of the world.