Commercial Fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by catfishsteward, Jul 29, 2007.

1. catfishsteward

catfishsteward New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Looks like TWRA is proposing some changes to the commercial fishing laws. See this link:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/news/commfish.html

The catfish population in Watts Bar lake would surely benefit from a commercial fishing closure (look at Loudon just upstream) and commercial fishermen shouldn't be allowed to sell contaminated fish anyways.

I also like the proposal to prohibit the export of large catfish. We need to keep these fish in our lakes. It is bad enough that commercial fishermen are now allowed to sell our big catfish but they shouldn't be allowed to sell them to out of state pay lakes.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now that is reason to celebrate!!!!! Looks like we can make a difference. The BOC has a large voice when need be. I know that alot of folks on here sent e-mails and letters along with some phone calls as I did and, I appreciate each and every one of you that did!!! Thank You Brothers for helping make this happen!!!!!

I know, I am not from Tennessee but, I do fish there from time to time!!!!!!

3. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    hopefully they will just ban the comercial fishermen from tn and ky waters that would be great

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I think it would be great to have, at least some more restrictions on the export of the "larger" fish! I really dont see the need for commercial fishermen to kill these larger fish and (in reality) hurt Everyones fishery! Theres plenty of smaller size class fish to benifit everyone. Just my opinion.

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I wouldn't buy catfish from a store because I don't know where they come from. They are still commercial fishing on the Tennessee here where the water is very very contaminated. There is a creek here that empties into the Tennessee river that has an advisory to not even get the water on your skin and they are commercial fishing just a few hundred yards down stream from the creek. I have the understanding that commercial fishermen can still only take one 34 inch cat a day but no limit under that. I may have heard wrong but I don't think so.

6. catfishsteward

catfishsteward New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Check out this article:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/jul/22/watts-bar-brouhaha/

It sounds like the commercial fishermen on Watts Bar are going to fight the commercial fishing ban: "The proposal to close Watts Bar to commercial fishing was made by TWRA at the Wildlife Resources Commission’s June meeting. Kellar said he didn’t learn about it until recently and has since joined an organization that has retained an attorney and plans to fight the ban."

It is obvious that these commercial fishermen don't care about the people who unknowingly eat the contaminated fish that they are selling. If you support this ban, make sure you let TWRA know...you can bet that the commercial fishermen are bending their ears!

7. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    as a use to be comm.fisher man i have mixed feelings about this subject.i lost my livelyhood when texas put a ban on the catch and sell of redfish and speckeled trout.so i can relate to the comm.man.but im dead set against the catch and sell of fish that has a do not eat sign on it.if these fish are contaminated to the point that theres a warning about eating them any and all comm.fishing should be stoped.not just in the general area but as far as you can find 1 contaminated fish.if the game and fish comm. of any state allows this to continue they need to replace all of them with somebody who has some sense.

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I agree with the ban, like poisonpits said one fish with toxins in it is too many, and I think many of TN's waters are to that point now. We let more waste come into our state than 90% of the other states and that I have to say is where our problem is coming from.

9. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Anyone who supports the ban on commercial fishing at Watts Bar needs to send a letter (not email) signed to all the TWRA commissioners. The new laws also satte no catfish can be transported over state lines alive (taking out the idea of selling trophy cats to pay ponds), and a no waste law. That means where nets are allowed fish can't be killed/removed from the net dead just because you don't want them. On some lakes commercial fisherman (I have witnessed this) can't take out catfish and while using nets for carp/buffalo I have seen them hit catfish, stripers, bass etc. with a BASEBALL(!!) bat and kill fish they don't want because they are in their net!! This no waste law makes that illegal. If they are in your net and you can't keep them you have to remove them alive. All three rules are great, and send a letter signed to all TWRA commissioners if you agree. You can find their addresses on the TWRA website. There is also a place to send email comments, and I would do this in addition to the letter.