Commercial Fishing on Mountain Island Lake

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Buckedup, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    My son and I just came off the lake from getting bait and ran into a commercial (?) boat leaving too. He said he had about 1500 pounds. Didn't talk to him but for a second, I know it is legal but I didnt have anything positive to say. Plenty of Gizzards in Mcdowell Creek.

2. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Ok - no body else is gonna bite on this, I'll go ahead and stir the pot. I'm not sure what your complaint would be against commercial fishing, so I don't know exactly what to address. Perhaps you just feel an instinctive hurt at seeing so many fish being taken out of the water that you haven't had a chance to catch? :wink:

Or, perhaps you worry about how commercial fishermen treat the waterway? I know that every person is different, and that there are bad apples in every bunch, but having been a commercial fisherman myself, and known quite a few, I can say that - at least the ones I've known - are respectful sportsmen who got into the business initially from a love of being on the water.

As far as people worrying about commercial fishing depleting the waterways, commercial fishing has been going on since long before you or me. And those that sit back and say that there aren't as many fish now as there were when I was a kid, I believe that to be true. But I blame it on tampering with the waterways and introducing breeds into water that is not their native habitat. And, of course, pollution - pollution is a biggie.

And those dang cormorants (cumorants? comurants? Those dern black ducks from Japan) eating up all of the bait. Those things put a hurtin' on the bait supply.

When all was said and done, I think if you were to look into it, you'd find that commercial fishing is a good thing. Especially if you planned on going to the fish camp for dinner. :roll_eyes:

3. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    i hate water turkeys....they are bad,......and shouldnt be protected...i believe it ought to be a law that before you can catfish that you have to kill 10 water turkeys first..................mack

4. fish-n-pitch

fish-n-pitch New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I don't think he is knocking the commercial fisherman just that Mt. Island is a very very small lake and was a great up and coming trophy bluecat lake in NC but due to its size, and the commercial haverst on such a small body of water those guys have just about wiped out the trophy fishery. Before the commercial guys found out about the lake 25-35# fish were common now catching a fish can be hard to do.

5. bowler man

bowler man Active Member

State:
    nc
    i agree 100%, i used to commercial fish myself when i was a kid in misouri, on the mississippi river, and on a body of water that size i think that com. fishing has very little affect, but mt island is way to small a lake for the commercial fisherman, i know i know if it is legal than we don't have the right to say anything but just because it is legal don't mean it's a responsible thing to do .

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I wish they would post here how they caught 1500 on MTI. Sounds like a talented gang of fishermen:smile2:

7. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well i'm a long way from NC but here's my 2 cents. sportsmen in arkansas pay $10.50 for fishing licenses and the limit on catfish is 10 fish per day. commercial fishermen pay $25 for licenses and can harvest an unlimited amount of commercial fish (catfish included). on the section of river where i fish there are at least 5 commercial fishermen that have the river covered up with fiddler traps, hoop nets, and gill nets. every spot that a fish would hole up on this shallow river comes complete with some kind of fish trap. this river would and has been in the past a great trophy flathead and blue cat haven but the commercial guys have ruined it for us sports fishermen. newer faster jetboats have allowed for covering more water up and down the river for the commercial guys. i still catch a good fish on occaision and release him back to probably be swallowed up tomorrow by someones hoop net.

8. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Flathead catfish will get no sympathy in these waters and are probably under fished. I don't know what method the commercial guys used but I would bet they didn't haul many flatties. It would be interesting to know how that kind of fishing would impact a 3200 acre lake. Maybe it has been commercially fished for a while now--who knows. I read a source on this board that quoted an ungodly amount needed to be harvested per acre to keep status quo healthy balance. Not real sure where Mac got his data. I am not a biologist and even those guys admit that they do not know the answers yet.

9. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    They are catching blues and channels on cheese based bait in baskets. They have been hitting this lake for years and taking the fish to Hwy 321 flea market and selling them. Back in the day they they used cottonseed meal for channels or government cats as the old timers call them. They took out the smaller fish, the likes of salt/pepper catfish one would get at a fish camp. While the current fisherman are catching the 12inch fish they are also catching the larger 5-15+ pound fish and selling them. These fish are the breeding stock and with no oversight from NC Wildlife it gets to be a slippery slope.

10. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice post Buck. I fondly remember people calling channel cats Government cats too. I had one of my best days ever at MTI back in January. Went back 3 weeks later and caught only one 9 pound blue. I have found the lake to be very easy at times and sometimes couldn't buy a bite. It can be a tough lake to fish.

11. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    not a lot of flatties but they are starting to keep bigger fish

12. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Mudkip, you are wanting to know how they catch 1500lb per lake. It's with traps - or baskets, whatever you want to call them. They have a 3 1/2" muzzle to keep the bigger fish out. In the past, you had no sales for bigger fish. The dinks were where you made your living. Any of your bigger fish that got through the muzzle were thrown back. Very few were kept for people that wanted fillets or to make stews. But as far as your fish markets and restaurants, they wanted the dinks. It's moved to a little bigger fish, now, but it's still smaller than what you'd want to fillet. So, if you see a commercial fisherman with a lot of big fish, he's likely selling them at something like a flea market or on the roadside. Therefore, he wouldn't really be taking that many fish. (not a large customer base) Personal opinion, it seems a shame that that many breeder fish are being taken.

It's two times a year that you can make money in commercial fishing. You have a bullhead run, and a channel cat run. For bullheads, your bait was herring - occasionally you would catch flatties, don't know if they were after the herring or the bullheads. For channel cats, you used cheese and meal-cake.

As for the different license prices for commercial fishing - the license here, when I was doing it, was $50.00. You had to have a tag for each trap, too. ($3 -$5) Best I can remember, you're only allowed five traps per body of water. But bodies of water were defined sometimes by county or state lines or dams.

Don't have much information left in the o'le memory, but figured I'd throw what info I had out there.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Commercial fishing for catfish in NC will not be a concern of the NCWRC unless it affects the largemouth bass or striped bass population.

14. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Removing small fish will benefit the catfish population. Selective harvest of larger fish will probably help the fish population too. NCWMRC is still trying to learn more about managing catfish populations but they do not turn a deaf ear to people with a voice and opinion.

15. John Porter

John Porter New Member

State:
    Murphy,North Carolina
    I have been a commercial fisherman for the past 10 yrs, 2 yrs here in NC and the rest were in other states that allow commercial catfishing. The only species that I fish for are channels and they can only be about 1-1.5 pounds or I don't have a market for them. I have been approached by owners of pay ponds and asked to catch bigger fish--but have declined as I only have some much time in a day and don't care to mess with bigger fish.
    John
    PS-- I only fish during the summer months as I take up fur trapping during the fall and winter months. You can see, I will never be rich.

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    1500 pounds of what? He never said what before he went on to say something about the gizzard shad population.

Maybe it was 1500 pounds of bait.:eek:oooh:

17. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Mark it was 1500lb of catfish!

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I never saw where he said it was catfish. It was just 1500 pounds.

While we're on the 1500 pounds. Wonder what kind of boat he was on.
    We're talking about a boat with somewhere around a 2500 pound weight capacity.:wink:

19. GatorT

GatorT New Member

State:
    Camden, South Carolina
    Good point!!!

20. Buckedup

Buckedup New Member

State:
    NC
    Catfish and a 24' Carolina Skiff.