Commercial Fishing in Arkansas

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by BigB, Jan 14, 2006.

1. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    going over the 540 bridge this week i noticed 100's of jugs on the river. they were marking gill nets apparently the g & f comm. opened up a section of the river for a special season on spoonbill. it showed pics in the paper (times record) of commercial fisherman (catfish assassins) pulling out flatheads, blues& spoonbills some of these fish were 50# plus. i am very angry about this! it is time to make a stand with our state to put an end to this. what can we do to stop this?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Brian, pm Lindsey Lewis user name[ictalurus]. he will help you out. I think he point you in the right direction. The sad thing is we have nets all in the hotwater outlet here and I have not seen a person run them yet and I check often. In Louisians the spoonbills were protected because they were almost all caught out of the state.

Thanks for your concern!!

3. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    Verlon it will take alot more than me to change the laws. the sport of catfishing is getting more well known. maybe if all the arkansas brothers come together we as a group could get the laws changed

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If we dont do something to protect our favorite sportfish, it will soon be to late.

5. BigB

BigB New Member

State:
    Van Buren, Arkansas
    maybe all the states should stand up to um

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    in a way i kinda feel for the commercial fishermen taking heat from the "sportfishing" community, most of them have been doing this for generations and it is their way of life. im sure there are areas that can support both commercial and sportfishing but i do see commercial fishing as a dying trade now that catfishing is becoming popular. i along with the rest of the "catfishermen" welcome the death of commercial catfishing but there should be government programs and/or grants available to those that would like to pursue other occupations. one idea i heard that i thought would be great would be to move commercial fishermen into the "farm-raising" buisness. farm-raised channels are replacing the "river caught" fish that were once stocked into pay-lakes, and it might be possible to do the same with blues. i doubt flats could ever be "farm-raised".

7. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i believe that some folks overexagerate the effects the commercial fishing industry has on our catfish populations. i fish the red river in louisiana. i'd put our fisheries up against anyone's. i have done a lot of netting in the past, but have just about quit alltogether now. it's just done got to be to much work on a wore out body. been fishin the same stretch of water for the last 10 years and every year it just gets better. we have a lot of commercial guys fishing this area and they catch piles of fish. one thing everyone needs to remember is that they are a renewable resource. just because you don't do it, you shouldn't condone it. that would be like me saying that deer hunting needs to be banned because i don't do it. if the hunters and fishermen don't stick together, it's gona give all the anti's that much more ammunition to put a stop to all of it.

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I do not have anything against commercial fishermen,I had a couple as friends in Louisiana. The gripe I have is these nets are in a small fishing area. we stay hung up on these nets while trying to fish. We can still catch bait but catfishing is almost impossible. Prime winter time fishing shot to S--t.:mad: :mad:

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Although I primarily fish for sport and never commercially when the line gets drawn in the sand and I have to pick a side I'll be on the side of commercial fishermen.
    When a man is working making an honest living within the bounds of the law you dont screw with his livelyhood.
    This same thing has happened to many of an American farmer and still is.

10. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Just one thing to say, At times I wonder who is mindin the laws.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Seems to me that your fish&game people need to keep a closer eye on these netters!!! These netters seem to be doing what they want with whatever they want. Gillnets are indescriminent killers, "THESE NETS SHOULD BE OUTLAWED, PERIOD". If they were only allowed to take spoonbill why were they taking blues and flatheads also???? That is where the problem is, IMO!!!

Personally I don't sympathize with the commercial fishermen and think that if they are supporting their families by destroying a great recource, they should find another job.
    Has anyone ever thought of what these guys are doing with these fish they catch that are coming from waters that have DO NOT CONSUME ADVISORIES on them????????? And I really don't think they care who gets hurt in the long run , as long as they make their money. Family trade or not, it is going to have to stop sooner or later. They are working themselves right out of a job.

And before you crawl all over me for this, Keep in mind that my Great Grandfather, my Grandfather and his Sons were all commercial fishermen!!!!

Until they give the catfish the "Gamefish Status", This will continue!!!

12. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    The nets are in the channel of the out let. Boat traffic are hindered, fishing the channel is at a stand still. Yea they are smart they know the fish will be in the outlet. The hot water draws them! I over looked the nets as long as the stayed in the river but in that small area has messed up some good fishing!! I have voiced my opinion and will leave it at that!!!:mad: :mad:

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Isn't there a law that says that they can impede boating traffic with their nets? If so contact the coastgaurd, that should take care of it. Because your local DNR people appearently aren't going to do anything, it is probebly to cold for them to get out of their trucks and into a boat to enforce the laws that they are supposed to be upholding. Just a thought!!!

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First things first! If F&G officials aren't enforcing current laws concerning netting, why bother passing new laws for them to ignore? When law enforcement people deliberately ignore certain people breaking the law, we need to see that those officials are fired or jailed. Now, I know one of the officials up in Verlon's area, and he's so honest that he would give his own mother a ticket if he caught her breaking the law.
    Verlon, try calling the F&G about those unchecked nets, but bear in mind that they probably only need to be checked once per day. If the F&G ignores you, send the head of F&G an e-mail about it, with a copy to the governor's office. If that's ignored, send the same e-mail to all the local media, with copies to the head of the F&G and governor.

15. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Sam, Did you see all the nets at the outlet this weekend?:mad:

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Most of the ones here check there nets around midnight. That may be the reason you don't see them.
    Also they have the boats lit up with flood lights.
    Pete

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Arkansas has changed the rules on the mississippi to match tennessee's rules. That is on the mississippi only though. I'm sure mississippi will follow suit soon enough. One thing people could also do is push for it to be passed for the whole state. Arkansas doesn't sell non resident commercial license so we wouldn't have the problems that mississippi residents have of commercial guys fishing an area out. Mississippi residents need to go to the meetings they hold each year and speak their mind on what they want from their fisheries. Last time i checked mississippi's non resident license was 200 dollars. Thats a small price to pay for fishing a place like the big river and fishing it out. I as a resident would think that our resources would be worth alot more especially when they are leaving the state for 200 dollars but thats just me.

As for commercial fishing, its been goin on for hundreds of years. There is enough water for all of us to fish together. If the net is there we can still fish beside it. I've recently experienced the same thing out on the mississippi and fished everywhere else i could. Did i want to fish those spots? Yes But there was plenty of other places to fish. If anything else look at it as a challenge. The odds against will only make that trophy a more rewarding catch.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    J.W. I agree 100 percent on what you just said, in both post!

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As a youngster, I was lucky enough to be able to go down to the gulf coast once or twice a year to fish (mainly) for red snapper and grouper. Not only did we keep all we wanted to eat, but since there were fish market reps waiting on the docks for us when we returned, we kept and sold all we could. This practice continued at least into the late sixties, after I was in the Air Force, because my uncle and I brought in enough extra fish to pay for our trip. In 1969 I was transferred to Montana, and kind of lost track of saltwater fishing for a number of years. I can't begin to say how surprised I was that our harvests had depleted that 'inexhaustable' supply of red snapper and grouper to the point that it was hardly worth fishing for them any more. Also, while I didn't fish much for sea trout and redfish, I knew people who did, and the same thing happened to those fisheries...overharvest. We took and took and took, feeling that there was no end to the fish in that huge body of water. But there aren't fish everywhere; they're just in certain spots. And there's a finite limit to their number and the pressure they can handle. Fortunately, strict limits on these fish has resulted in these fisheries rebounding till there is good fishing for them again. Right now, Tennessee has a limit of two 15" stripers per day; Arkansas has a limit of 5 stripers of any size per day. Striper fishing on the Tennessee River is much better than on the Arkansas River, and the fish run larger. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it looks like limits make a difference.

20. hoglaw

hoglaw New Member

If you want to know who's minding the laws, look on this board. I would suggest that someone contact a non-profit legal agency, such as the Sierra Club. Endangering fisheries is serious buisness, and we all have sufficient standing to raise a challenge in the courts. I am a law student, but I have way too much on my plate to do the research involved right now. My suggestions are as follows:

Contact the Sierra Club or a similar watchdog group
    Contact your state representative
    Contact game and fish
    I know there is a statute on the books in Arkansas that makes it a crime to impede the legal access to fisheries, just can't remember exactly what it is or how it's worded. Any Arkansas Criminal Code/Traffic Manual will have it indexed under "Fishing."
    I don't pretend to know what kind of an impact this sort of harvest has on the health of fisheries, I'm certainly not an expert. What I do know, however, is that evil exists in the world because good men let it. Start a petition, start calling representatives, call Blanche Lincoln. There are a lot of people who work to represent you, you just have to let them know how to do it.
    Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Paul>> Removed public e-mail to prevent spammers from turning loose e-mail harvesting spiders on the server to generate mailing list of active outdoorsmen to sell to online tackle shops.