Commercial fishing and other regs?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARKANSAS TALK' started by Grits, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    I was going over the regulations and limits for fishing the Arkansas River. I only saw one blip about commercial fishing. This is something I should know but is commercial fishing still allowed?

Also, I interpreted the limit on catfish to be ten. If fishing on the Arkansas River you are allowed ten channel catfish under sixteen inches in addition to your limit of ten. I thought I saw you were allowed one catfish over a certain length but I could not find it again. The length was something I would throw back anyway but what is the length? Am I clear on the regs?

My favorite way to fix catfish is to pan fry a small one whole so that is all fine with me.

Thank you to everyone for your help. I am having a very good time.

Grit

2. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    10 blues over 12inches plus 10 channels under 16 inches that's it unless they changed it again. Yes you can get commercial fill out application pay money take test in little rock.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sam, I can't find anything in the regs about a minimum size on any catfish. And yes, the limit is normally 10 channels, but more specifically, any combination of 10 channel, blue, or flathead catfish. Not only are you allowed an extra 10 channels under 16" on the Arkansas River, but you are allowed an extra 10 channels of any size on Lakes Erling and Millwood. There is no limit on channel cats on Lake Chicot. The regulation about having only one fish over 34" only applies to waters that share a boundary with the state of Tennessee, whick has that reg for the whole state. And the TN F&G WILL check you on this.

4. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    Am just curious about commercial fishing. I have not interest in commercial fishing. I was interested how limits apply to them.

I see buffalo and drum for sale occasionly which I could care less about; however, I hate to see any kind of gamefish in a market.

Grits

5. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    iI may be wrong but I don't think catfish are clasified as a game fish comercially. Bass,crappie, trout and several other have to be released by com. fisherman.

6. Grits

Grits New Member

State:
    Arknasas
    I think you are right. That needs to be changed. I will find out.

Grits