Commercial fishing aarrgghh

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by wannafish, Oct 5, 2007.

1. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Last Sunday morning I took the kids down by the fairgrounds for some fun fishing and was so dismayed. 2 commercial cat takers were there , 1 on each side of the river for about 2 miles had the nets out .I know the law says that 1 can only net less than 1/2 the width of the river , well they each had 1/2 the river so nothing could get through .I caught their net not knowing it 2 times , scared the fish away from us , cruised pretty quickly right next to our boat .They were acting rude and didn't care about anyone else on the river. It was a beautiful day to be out there.Even the speed boats and yachts were slowing down and moving to the other side of the river from us ...now I know why no one likes them (besides taking the cats)

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Roy the laws are not inforced good enough. Wish they would start sticking them with every fine they deserve. As so many of them feel like they can get away with what ever they care to do anymore.
    Until TWRA Starts sticking them with fines and taking there license away for breaking the laws. It will not get any better.
    Pete

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I really have never been all in all in favor of banning it outright until the last few years. I now have come to believe the vast majority of them are lawbreakers and Pete you are right short of a total ban(probably wouldn't stop them from doing it either) the only hope is some stiff penalties and loss of licenses.

4. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well my lower end was done today so headed out sometime when most normal people are still sleeping. I am hoping not to run into any of them . I think if they want to sell cats for living , dig some ponds and raise them. The biggest thing that I didn't like besides over setting their nets was the rude behavior and non respect that we were there , my kids complaned first. I contacted the TWRA and they stated that too much area and not enough man hours , and now that deer season has started , it has compounded the shortage of available officers. That seems to be a normal response any more. They keep raising license fees and other things but where is it going now? I would like my kids to have what we now have , available to them ....feels good to vent ..well better get a cple hours sleep

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    These guys have no respect for catfish, it's just money to them..I say get another job, and leave the catfish for the catfishermen.

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    What happened to the proposal to ban commercial fishing on any waters where there were warnings about eating the fish. the guy that fishes my favorite spot puts out a 3 mile long trot line.

7. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I thought the same thing on the ban.We didn't see any today thank god

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Hey Roy do like I do. Be as nice to them as they are to you. I wait and see how they will act and I act the same way to them. It doesn't bother me one bit to get in their way and slow them down or hinder them from doing it their way.
    I had two tourney fishermen tell me and the wife about a week ago that we had to move Out of their spot because they were fishing for money. I ask him waht did he use for bait to catch money and threw out another line with a chunk of liver on it. Needless to say they went on down the river. They ain't going to whup up on me I can say that for sure.:smile2:

9. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I will have to try that , just wish my boat would turn fast so I could throw the wake back at them lol. That is how bad it was , looked like he was going to scream by us , about 20 feet away , then turned real fast throwing water at us , then stop and pull net up.And I had 2 kids with me . I think it made him mad when we didn't move.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    An old 3-ganger bass plug 'accidentally' stuck into him might shorten his day.

11. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    If the guys on these commercial (cat-netting) boats ever fished like us on here do they might have some respect. but all it matters to them is a big wad of money and taking fish that we have all of out fun catching how you are supposed to.

12. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    what puzzels me is the word proposal! is it not a no brainer to not allow toxic fish to be sold to the public? let alone the idiots that go getum!!! it really sadens me to think the people in power are so rediculously stupid!!!!! this state has the same problem with commercial idiots like that. indiana has a 10in min. now come on, who made that stupid regulation, nobody want fish under 10in. its like we have no regs at all on them in our rivers.

hang in there brother

13. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I dont care for the commercial catmen, got nothing against commercial fishing in general if restricted.

heres what bothers me about this post, what laws were they breaking.
    in the navigation rules, it clearly states thats give way is granted in this order 1. vessel not under command
    2. vessel restricted in ability to maneuver
    3. vessel engaged in fishing (commercial)
    4. sailing vessel
    5. power driven vessel

So other power boats slowing and giving them way was following the law.

The bozos on small power boats shaking their fists and cussing commercial craft (fishing, barges,etc) make about as much sense as PETA.

One must becareful in what he wishes to be rid of, for your group may be the next on the list .

14. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    When I lived out in Washington state, the rivers were all overfished by the indian tribes driving the salmon/steelhead populations in those rivers to the brink of extinction. When they run those nets, there seems to be a loophole in the laws about the distance the nets can run accross the river. They run the first net half way accross, and the next from the other side the other half way, but just far enough up river so a boater couldn't say he could not get around the nets. You're all right about them not giving a damn about anybody else. You are standing between them and their paycheck, and they ain't gonna back down. I've seen and heard of much worse behavior from them.

Boating rules aside, there's such thing as common courtesy and safety, and running boats that close to folks with kids in the boat is just despicable. I admit I'm not an expert on the laws, but I would think that a boat that is not under power would "not" be the give way vessel. Would the anchored/drifting boat not fit under #2? Those guys were no different then folks I run into on a daily basis who cruise 50' away from me in my bass boat with a 3' wake behind them sending a breaker directly over the side of my boat if I don't turn into the wave in time. The behavior is not restricted to commercial fisherman unfortunately. It seems to be the norm anymore.

15. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I have nothing against commercial fishing but it really bothers me when i go to a resteruant and they have whole catfish on the menu that may have been caught at the discharge from the neuclear bomb plant. It suprises me that the proposal to stop this just came up this year

16. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was listing the order in which one must give way. I agree that theres an amount of courtesy needed as well. I had a large sportfisher nearly swamp us once from his wake.

I guess rules aside, it boils down to respecting each other on the water.

Good fishing to ya'll

17. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    well we were about 10 foot from shore staying in 1 place w/trolling motor , he stopped about 200 feet from us pulled something up then headed straight for us and he didn't need to try and swamp the kids and I , my kids let him know.the end of his net was probably 50 foot from us.He was trying to make a point or try to scare us off.Next time I will get his twra numbers and talk to Jeremy about him. Maybe a visit from a gamey will make him think before doing something stupid again.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I wouldn't count on that. I had one do something about that stupid, then call the F&G officer AND the county sheriff. To top that, he was stupid enough to threaten to shoot me in front of both of them. What finally worked was his seeing me load a deer rifle into my boat the next time I went out.

19. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Just another day of fun on the water eh Jerry? :roll_eyes: Sounds kinda like those deer hunters in Wisconsin last year shooting at eachother over a deer blind.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah. It seems that the idiot was also a dope dealer; they put him in the big pokey for that.