Commercial fisherman

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by davesoutfishing, Oct 23, 2005.

1. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    Press release from IDNR

FORT MADISON, Iowa - Four men pleaded guilty on Oct. 18, to illegally collecting game fish from the Mississippi River in their commercial fishing nets, then offering the game fish for sale.

John Gilpin, 59, and James Gilpin, 33, both of Dallas City, Ill., Joseph Gilpin, 52, from Pella, Iowa and Reggie Brannon, 50, from Montrose, Iowa, received a one year suspension from taking any aquatic wildlife, and a three year suspension of their commercial fishing license. The plea agreement was reached with the Lee County Attorney's Office.

Iowa Department of Natural Resources conservation officer Jeff Harrison and Illinois conservation police officer Mike Shell were investigating the individuals on April 20. Harrison had set up in an area along the Mississippi River to witness the operation and Shell was hidden nearby in a boat.

Harrison witnessed the men remove walleyes and other game fish from their 1,200-foot seine used to harvest rough fish under a commercial fishing license. The game fish were moved to a different net, sunk, then collected later and offered for sale.

"We had so many people come up to us and say it's about time they got caught," Harrison said. "They were difficult to catch."

The Gilpins forfeited a 26-foot boat, 200 horsepower motor, cooler, winch, pump, miscellaneous fishing equipment and the rough fish they had caught. The fines totaled more than $3,000. The forfeited property totaled more than $30,000.

The Iowa DNR cited John Gilpin and three other individuals in 1991 with 2,600 counts of illegally collecting crappies, bluegills, walleye, catfish and bass at the Eddyville Sand Plant, a backwater of the Des Moines River. Gilpin pleaded guilty to 10 counts; paid a $1,000 fine and $10,000 in liquidated damages. The State seized the boat, motor, trailer and equipment.

For more information, contact Iowa Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officer Jeff Harrison at 319-470-0788.

good job to the IDNR we was out that day where they was doing all this

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If he was jammed up 15 years ago on 2600 counts, why in the world is his license only being suspended again? I know losing the boats must sting some, but why not just pull their licenses for life after this one? They obviously don't learn......

3. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    man the wife and I was their in the am seen alot of jugs going down the river about 200 yards from the dam one guy was out putting the nets out he prolly stayed around for an hour after we got their talking to the other 3 guys that would be pulling the nets up we fished right at the dam then moved just below them and we seen alot of dead carp floating by from their nets all day this went on we left at 3 pm got thier about 6.30 am it is a shame some people think of money more then they do of the sport I agree with you take their fl. for life all 4 of them

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I would agree Dave, seems to me the only hit they really took was loseing there boat and some equiptment. Looks like that JOHN GILPIN guy being arrested before for the same offense they would have taken his privledges for life. I also see he is the oldest of the GILPIN'S and assume there all related. Just makes you wonder why they will be allowed to have a fishing let alone a commerical license again.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Charge them with a felony (no firearms of any kind) and no fishing privileges for life. That's all I've got to say about that. Vern

6. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Iowa must be pretty laxed when it comes to that crap. I don't know how much money fish bring like that. But just thinking about it 30k$ in equiptment probably is worth the risk of lossing. Unless it's just the thrill there after.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's rampet guys and only getting worse, paylakes need to stock big fish and they will get them however they can.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It kinda makes you wonder how many more are getting away with this kind of stuff. I don't think that you could stop these morons, if you took the fishing privilages away from their intire family for the next ten generations. It is a genetic missfire I think.
    And if they had done that in Texas they would have lost their truck, too.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    In Tn they can take the truck trailer, And boat. And anything else they have.
    But They don't check them much now. They fill one place up with gill nets. and there no more then 30 ft apart.
    Never see them checking them .
    Pete

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When any officials don't seem to want to do their jobs, the best way to get action is widespread public disclosure. This will cost someone votes, and they will quickly inform those officials that it's either look good in public, or get the axe. Try to get hard proof of the violations, such as pictures or videotapes, and pay a visit to your local TV stations or newspapers.

11. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    the wife and I went out this day fished all day(and I mean alllllllday) we fished below these guys and watched alot of fish floating by us around here eggs from sturgeon is a money maker I think they should never be able to fish again here is a post I made awhile back.....................Press release from IDNR

FORT MADISON, Iowa - Four men pleaded guilty on Oct. 18, to illegally collecting game fish from the Mississippi River in their commercial fishing nets, then offering the game fish for sale.

John Gilpin, 59, and James Gilpin, 33, both of Dallas City, Ill., Joseph Gilpin, 52, from Pella, Iowa and Reggie Brannon, 50, from Montrose, Iowa, received a one year suspension from taking any aquatic wildlife, and a three year suspension of their commercial fishing license. The plea agreement was reached with the Lee County Attorney's Office.

Iowa Department of Natural Resources conservation officer Jeff Harrison and Illinois conservation police officer Mike Shell were investigating the individuals on April 20. Harrison had set up in an area along the Mississippi River to witness the operation and Shell was hidden nearby in a boat.

Harrison witnessed the men remove walleyes and other game fish from their 1,200-foot seine used to harvest rough fish under a commercial fishing license. The game fish were moved to a different net, sunk, then collected later and offered for sale.

"We had so many people come up to us and say it's about time they got caught," Harrison said. "They were difficult to catch."

The Gilpins forfeited a 26-foot boat, 200 horsepower motor, cooler, winch, pump, miscellaneous fishing equipment and the rough fish they had caught. The fines totaled more than $3,000. The forfeited property totaled more than $30,000.

The Iowa DNR cited John Gilpin and three other individuals in 1991 with 2,600 counts of illegally collecting crappies, bluegills, walleye, catfish and bass at the Eddyville Sand Plant, a backwater of the Des Moines River. Gilpin pleaded guilty to 10 counts; paid a $1,000 fine and $10,000 in liquidated damages. The State seized the boat, motor, trailer and equipment.

For more information, contact Iowa Department of Natural Resources Conservation Officer Jeff Harrison at 319-470-0788.

good job to the IDNR we was out that day where they was doing all this

12. davesoutfishing

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    only advice I can give is SAFTEY alot of good commercail fishermen/ladies die each year

13. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    They should never be alow to fish again!