Commercial Fisherman Receives Punishment in Chickamauga Lake Case

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ShilohRed, Dec 19, 2009.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Its looking up. If and when they start catching more of these people keeping over the limit. Its going to help out a lot. We have them here doing this. But getting anyone to do anything about it is not easy..
    I plan on starting to watch and video them, thats the only way to stop them from keeping over the limit on the big fish. Had a guy 2 weeks ago tell me he was by one of there places they had a 60+ blue in a gill net they brought in as it was 2 much trouble to get out of the net there. So it was killed and tossed into a ditch.:angry:
    Pete

((Commercial Fisherman Receives Punishment in Chickamauga Lake Case
    Released on Wed, Dec 16, 2009 - 1:43 pm under Wildlife Resources
    DAYTON, Tenn. --- A Dayton, Tenn. commercial fisherman has pled guilty to three counts of illegal possession of wildlife resulting in arrests made by Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency wildlife officers on Chickamauga Lake.

William “Bill” Sligh pleaded guilty to the three counts in Rhea County Criminal Court. He was ordered to pay $970 in fines and court costs and was placed on 18 months of supervised probation. Sligh also must serve 100 hours of community service.

Acting on a tip, TWRA wildlife officers observed the violation of commercial fishing regulations including unlawful placement of nets, killing sportfish and possession of several catfish of more than 34 inches of length. Tennessee law allows the possession of one catfish of more than 34 inches in length.

Rhea County Wildlife Officer Brian Letner and Meigs County Wildlife Officer Chris Combs initially began the investigation. They were later assisted by wildlife officers Burton Capps, Jeff Bishop, and Phillip Earhart.

---TWRA---))

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    A step in the right direction for sure, but to me the punishment seems kinda lenient.
    Shows a blatant disregard for the law to me. His fiines probably wont even cove the wages of the officers who done the investigation.:confused2:
    Hopefully this opens some eyes up.
    Thanks for postin Pete.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I agree..I applaud the TWRA for catching the scumbag but the punishment is not near severe enough..Shoulda gave him 3-6 months of jailtime..

4. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for the post. Probably should have had a greater fine. You get peoples attention when you hit them in the pocket book.:wink: But this is a step in the right direction, thats what I love about this brotherhood, we are not just out to catch fish we are out to insure there will always be fish to catch, yes even when we are long gone.:big_smile:

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Awesome!!

Word spreads fast!

I am sure his buddies know someone is watching now!

:wink:

6. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    There are enough legal ways to harvest wildlife in tenn without doing it illegal, hope they learned thier lesson. Most of the regulations are put into place to help us have a good long term fishery, go TWRA!!

7. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Thats awsome,
    Been watching these guys for over a year now but never had proof to call the law...:angry:
    Puddle

8. WLG

WLG New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Puddle...was that the guy around seqouyah nuke plant with the foul mouth and usually has a woman with him in a small boat with no numbers on it?

9. festus

festus New Member

Yep, we have a big shortage of TWRA officers and unfortunately, the only time I see them is during the springtime. We have a big problem around the areas where I fish where poachers are keeping every fish they get their hand on--no matter if it's a 5" bass or a 7" crappie or a 10" muskie they catch in a cast net or rod and reel. Us law abiders need to keep the nearest game warden's phone # handy and turn in these people who don't respect the laws. I get sick of seeing some of these people carrying off 30 smallmouth bass with not a dern one of them legal keeping size. :angry:

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I watched the game warden release 6 at melton hill with buckets full of small bass. They all pleaded no comprenda and he just let them go then gave a white guy a ticket for no license.

11. festus

festus New Member

Well Frank, let's see if Hammer's has some green looking uniforms that look like game warden outfits and just wear them down there and run the no comprehende crowd off. :smile2: I know a fellow who works for the state at Norris in Forestry. Maybe I can get him to loan me one of his old uniforms. He's my age and about the same size.:roll_eyes:

12. festus

festus New Member

Hey, maybe the BOC can design some green uniforms that look like game officers' clothing? :roll_eyes: Maybe in green, brown, grey, or black, depending on whatever color is appropriate per state? With the BOC logo? :cool2: Also with a hat? There wouldn't be a thing illegal about it. And we can be "quick on the draw" with our cell phones. That might discourage the "no habla engles" crowd. :big_smile:

BTW, I need a 17-1/2 size shirt with 35" sleeves, an XL tall jacket, and waist 36" length 32" pants!! A 7-1/4" hat! :cool2: :big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  13. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Yup,
    Long skinny boat,, Seen him running Solo some also...:angry:
    Puddle

14. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    they need more laws on commercial catfishing maybe they are trying harder

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    YAY for that..... now what happens to their license?

16. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    My bet is he is out there fishing tonight...:eek:oooh:
    Puddle

17. Shamrock

Shamrock New Member

State:
    Knoxville,TN
    I wish we could get more fishermen to attend TWRA’s meetings to help limit commercial fishing.

18. festus

festus New Member

Where do they have the meetings, Jeff?

19. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Nashville