Commercial fisherman limits suck

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by fishstick, Jul 26, 2008.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i was fishing the red river in southwest arkansas the other day and was drifting around some good wing dams but not having any luck. two rather large boats came up the river and was running their hoop nets. i sat and watched one boat stop at every wing dam and on the upstream side in front of the dam he had a hoop net. i watched him run the net at the dam that i was fishing and he had a net full of nice catfish. i checked the arkansas regulations for commercial limits and found that there are no limits on the number of catfish that a commercial fisherman can catch. these people are killing us sportfishermen.

2. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I agree with you with that sort of commercial fishing hurting the everyday fisherman like you and/or I. I would have thought most commercial catfish were raised and sold from commercial ponds and not netted from rivers. I don't live by a commercial river, or at least where commercial activity goes on, so I don't really know the extent of fishing in this method and how much revenue it generates a company or a person.
    I do wish there could be a set limit on those nets. I will look into this by asking my congressman to forward this concern to the state game and fish agencies. I bet it has been brought up before, but it won't hurt to try or at least vent frustrations.
    ccat

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i don't remember exactly what the license requirements are for commercial fisherman are but i think it is $25 and $5 per net for a tag. but several commercial fisherman in a stretch of river can really wipe out some fish. when you think about blue catfish liking the swifter cuts of water and 3 or 4 hoop nets in that cut it will wipe them out. texas outlawed netting completely a few years ago and the sulpher river here close by my home has really picked up with lots of bigger fish to be caught by sportsmen.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Commercial fishing was stopped on the Missouri River several years ago, and the catfish fishery has absolutely taken off.
    And I'm not sure that limiting the sportsman's take of large catfish to one a day is enough. I'd support some kind of regulation that gave out tags for large catfish (similar to deer tags), allowing a person to take 2-4 big catfish a year.

5. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    why take anything over 10 lbs. there are plenty of small ones to eat

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i'm not against commercial fishermen trying to make a living but let's get rid of the nets. i've seen them floating in the river where someone lost one and be full of dead rotting fish

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It is good to see that I am not the only one that see's this as a problem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If the F&G officers would police the commercial fishermen, I wouldn't object to letting them take rough fish such as buffalo and carp. (Catfish aren't rough fish, no matter what your state regs say!) But I've seen snaggers take 2 or 3 limits of cats a day, totaling well over 100#, but have never seen any of them given a ticket. In the same location, if you go 10' past the limit line below the dam, you'll get a ticket so fast it'll make your head swim. That makes me wonder just how many commercial fishermen would illegally harvest catfish if they were allowed to have nets out for carp and buffalo only. Sure, I know that there are lots that would strictly abide by the law, but how many would break that law, if they were pretty sure they could get away with it?

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i dont much care for hoops. and some limits need to be there. no limits isnt good for to many animals.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Hoops For PETA. No Limits!!!!!!

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You would think that the same laws for sport fishermen would be in effect for comercial netters...but what do I know:smile2:

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    No, ALL *Catfish* NEED to be erraticated from public waters post haste - especially the invasive bass eating flatheads:wink: Commercial fishing without limit -The easiest way to accomplish the task!!! Catfish do nothing but harm to REAL sport fish... Bass fisherman unite!

13. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    I Think Ya Just Kicked A Hornets Nest Bill !!! Myself I Loves Them Flatheads,There My Bass Eatin Buddies, Go Get Um Mr. Flat(Bass that Is)
    J.D.

14. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Actually, Bill meant to say, "Bait fishermen unite"

15. PTDixieGal

PTDixieGal New Member

State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    If bass are so smart why do they go for lures? And why do catfish eat the bass that ate the lure? :eek:oooh::wink::eek:oooh:

16. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    That truly has to suck.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Well, darn it... me thinks people figured it out and didnt play along:sad2: :roll_eyes:
    Guess I can change my avatar back to the flathead now LOL!

18. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If ya think barrel nets are rough on a place:crazy: Wait till ya see hart and lead nets. They have wings coming off of them, not just an opening. I agree with the fact that stiffer limits need placed if not simply outlawing nets period. I also agree with Jerry that catfish ARE NOT rough fish like carp and buffalo. When i was a kid Ark. had a 16" minimum for commercial fishing. Not certain that applies now. Also below I 40, you can use baited fiddler nets with 1" mesh. Nothing gets past one of those things.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I AM SOOOO glad that don't happen around here, lord knows I don't need to see that... hope I never do, I'm way to much of a hot head, and I'm gettin' too old to be fightin' anymore! lol

20. snoman774

snoman774 New Member

State:
    fouke,ar
    where would i find the regs on commercial fishing
    game and fish site????