Comments on Fish Finders or one's you use

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by DeerHunter01, May 15, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    This section will be for members that want to post comments about there fish finders or about another one, All questions should be direct to this fourm that covers fish finder questions.

Thanks
    BOC Staff

Any question posted on a fish finder area of this forum will be removed and re-posted by staff in the question area.

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    pacathunter

Tom Julius Join Date: Feb 2006

Ref: Eagle® FishMark™ 320 Fish Finder

i just got this unit and so far i am greatly impressed. it shows alot more than i thought 150 bucks would. recommend this to anyone just starting out--very easy to use and understand. also on eagles website you can use a model of it and learn how to use each feature in a rile life situation

great great unit

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    LarryW

Larry Wakefield

Ref: Eagle 320
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one on my boat and like it real well

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'll just make some general comments regarding my experiences.I started with one fishfinder back in the 80s and I think it had about 9 pixels total to go with 4 watts of power.The thing that annoyed me was at night it wasn't backlit but had a little light that came on outside the unit .We were forever holding the lantern or a flashlight on it to see it.The first Lowrance unit I looked at was internally backlit and showed up beautifully so I never looked back.Often our choices are dictated by simple things like that.Lowrance to me is still the unit all others are judged by.I can own ANY unit regardless of cost and still chose Lowrance.What keeps me there is the website.Did you know that if Lowrance introduces a new capability to any units software they publish the upgrade free on the website?That is a powerful tool for keeping older units updated without having to buy new.Did you know that if you have a good idea or suggestion you can submit it to the enginners and if they agree the will make the software change.I have done that twice.It took me two years and finally had to write Mr Lowrance himself but now you can turn off that annoying FASTRAC flaher bar on the right of the screen on the 111cd and others.Yup that was me.There are plenty of good finders out there but Lowrance seems to lead in new technology introductions year in and year out.They offer the best all around package of good equipment excellent service and fantastic web support.Hard to beat that combination.Not trying to steal anyones thunder just offering advice based on over 20 years satisfied use.::big_smile:

5. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    Jim I know we sound like a bunch of salesman buy I wholeheartedly agree. I bought my first Lowrance and haven't bought another brand since. I own a Hummingbird that cam on my boat and I like it but if I had to choose, only one finder gets my vote, LOWRANCE. I will add that they have maybe the best customer service in the industry.

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I have been in the market for a while, trying to learn what I could. I called Lowrance for a comparison between two models. One higer priced, but on sale. They asked a few questions and told me the smaller one was better for me. Higher pixel, but one inch smaller screen. They said the larger color screens are very expensive which was basiccally the difference in price. I was impressed with this customer service and have ordered an Lms-334c. Now I am studying up on how to use it before it comes in.

Jim

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Has anyone tried the shoot thru aluminum transducers I broke the mount for my Lowarance transducer again and was looking at these I think they are made by Vexilar.

8. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would just like to say that i got a email from this compant stating that a "brand new fishfinder that i have never used and is brand new in the box, is only worth a $40.00 trade in on a new $200 fishfinder , when in fact the fishfinder i have , costed $299.89 plus tax. i have sent them a email stating that they could atleast stand behind their product and let me have a trade in value of $200 on a fishfinder that`s around $470 or more, and if they could not then i would take my business to another company that would stand behind their product!! so a message to all , when you all are thinking about getting that $200-$900 fishfinder make suer the company is going to stand behind their product!!!

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Now read what you posted, And then think. If you bought a new car, But it was parked and never moved. Do you think the company would give you what you payed for it?
    Well No they would not. And I will say I have been using Humminbirds for a lot of years. Got the first one in 1987. And they have always stood behind there product.
    Like you I have a unit that had never been turned on. But its been laying around from 1981. Theres no way I would even think of posting a post like that about them.
    I would say your lucky to get them to Even offer you $40 for it.

If it were me, I would put in in the classifieds here and see about selling it.

Have a great day. And try to see there point. Yes I have a List price $2000 dollar unit. Guess I should have gotten them to take the other 5 units I have in on trade. But I for one would not even try that. And post about the bad Company not standing behind there product.

Also in no way am I picking on you for the post. but try one of the other company's your thinking of buying a unit form. Bet most of them will laugh at it.

Pete

10. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    We've got a HumminBird Fishfinder "535" and are really impressed with it. It's pretty cheap, around $150. Picks up fish and structure great. I recommend it!

11. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I bought an Eagle Cuda 168 ( all I could afford at the time ). I mainly wanted something to show me depth and structure, which it does.. The only way I can get it to show fish is when set on the pictures of fish.. When I change it to the arches, I never see any arches.. Am I doing something wrong or did I get what I paid for...

12. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I personally would like to see posts on information using fishinders in many different types of waters, small resivoirs and large deep resivoirs ect. I think this would be great help to those who need info. like myself.:confused2:

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I know it's been mentioned in other threads, but Lowrance, in particular, has an excellent tutorial section http://www.lowrance.com/Tutorials/Sonar/sonar_tutorial_01.asp that covers many aspects of using sonar or gps, with really good explanations of how things work, how to interpret screen data, etc. I highly recommend taking the time to read through their information. The Demo downloads are a great tool, too.

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've been wanting a 135 pretty bad, so went to b/p store and found out that Basspro doesn't sell the x135 in the store, at least not in myrtle beach, so I ended up getting an x107c df, which has the features of the x135, but in color, and also has a speed sensor and a dual frequency transducer, which might come in handy for salt water fishing at times.

15. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    nothing can replace time on the water

if it has to do with the bait you use, the rod/reel combo you are tryin to get the feel for, the technique of workin a lure....

man. u just gotta get out ther an give it a whirl.

the cuda 168..i have heard great things about them...they give great depth and contour info....but you get what you pay for.

be glad for what you have....but put the time on the water no matter what and your investment will have returns

cyas
    rc

16. Shanadoia

Shanadoia New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I personally have looked at the Bottomline 5300 Sonar Unit for a long time now and finally bought one on ebay..I could have gotten a color unit i know but for almost the same price i got this one and what i was looking for mostly was the wide screen that this unit has..The width that it has can split for gps and sonar at the same time and have lots of room for you to read and understand each one..I am very proud to be the owner of this unit and have now moved my Fishmark 320 to the front of the boat..A day on the water with sonar is like having your own personal diver to tell ya where they are..Thanks to all electronics Corps. for the sonars!!:smile2:

17. L.A.Katracker

L.A.Katracker New Member

State:
    Lower Alabama
    I just had a 797 installed and it is awsome. I love this thing. This shows everything under the water. If I find a good honey hole I just mark it on the gps so when I want to go back there. I have found deep holes and dropoffs I never knew were there. I found a sunken houseboat the other day.

18. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a Lowrance LCX25C that I purchased on closeout from Cabelas last fall. Started using it this summer and within a month it would freeze up in sonar, change from raw data to fish symbols on its own and the depth reading would flash intermittantly. Sent it back to Lowrance. A week later its sent back to me with a new transducer. Wrong size transducer and no mounting bracket since it wont fit mine. Another week delay as the customer service rep sent it out regular mail. Tried three times to call Lowrance, once had to hang up after over an hour, second waited an hour and left a message per their instructions on the recording, they never returned my call. Finally after 45 mins got thru to a lady named Barb. Asked her to call me back if she lost me as I had been on hold for 45 mins and my cell battery was dead. She very rudely informed me they were busy and they didnt have time to return calls till after 5. To top it all off now that I have the new/correct transducer after 20 mins of use it does the same damn thing. Tomorrow I have to start this all over again. Lowrance isnt impressing me in the least....

19. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Just out of curiosity what did you do with the "left over" transducer cable?Years ago I had an Eagle and I coiled the cable up to make a neat installation and the finder did very much like what yours is doing.They exchanged the finder twice then finally called me and problem solved.Or you have something that is sending a signal out to freeze the finder,check how your transducer cable is mounted and if it is co located with some other electricl cables etc.:big_smile:

20. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    well i have a cuda 168 on one of my boats and it works great (I need depths as much as contours) I also have a hummingbird 535 on my tri hull the 535 seems to act up all the time sometimes it shows the right depth other times it drops to .08 or 1.2 or some other shallow numbers and my oar says its deeper than that I havent figured it out yet any suggestions