Comment on trot lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by BEHITJ, May 1, 2008.

1. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I want to know what everbody thinks about people keeping all these BIG BLUES they catch on trout lines. I don't like to keep anything over 10lbs. to eat. I really big on catch and release especially big fish.

2. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Well, I feel like anything over 10lbs should be released to be caught again, and because the smaller ones taste better. However, I also feel like as long as a person is following the law and eating what they catch then thats up to them. I have a buddy who harvests fish of all size, but adhears to the bag limits. So, with that being said, I have no problem with him taking those fish.

I understand both sides of the arguement and as long as no one on either side tries to impose their will on anyone it's good to discuss.

:0a26:

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well im pretty much close to the last comment.

however i dont keep 30 fiddelers and throw back 3 10lbrs. ill keep the 3 10's and toss back 20 of the fiddlers.

cant be bigens if we eat all the little ones. jmo but if all the fiddlers are kept for snacks where do the 40's come from?

i do believe setting trotlines for the individule and he catches 9-10 fish over 20lbs keeping them all is to much IMO though. some feel its ok. if hes got a commercial liscense and gets paid by the lb ill leave that to him. but i set lines once in a while to have fun and put fish or turtles in the freezor.

and by my standards i aint cleaning 20 fish to get the same meat from 3. jmo. but once my freezor gets a good stock for winter i c & r fish too.

your gonna get alot of mixed feelings. between mine to CPR ALL FISH!!! its nothing but opinions. and i guarentee not every one on here has the same. the cpr only will come soon as well as keep em all if ya want.

as far as im concerned if hes not breaking laws its the states fault for not imposing restrictions. :wink:

4. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have eaten 1 big blue it weighed 23lbs with no belly meat and no guts...The belly meat was good but the filets were muddy like a bullhead...so i cpr the biguns....

I set my lines where i have never caught fish over 12 lbs .. or maybe i just aint that lucky..

I have found in the river that if i check my lines every 45 minutes to 1 hour, I catch more fish , and there are less bare hooks

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think Tennessee has a great law that allows a person to keep only one catfish over 34" every day. Makes me wonder about maybe having 3 or 4 tear-off tags for cats over 34". You want to keep a biggun? No problem. Tear off one of your tags and tag it. But when you run out of tags, you don't get to keep any more big cats that year. Works for deer hunting, doesn't it?

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Most of us are catch photo and release although I always keep some good eating fish when I go out. Good luck to you.

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    THE OTHER DAY I SET A TROT LINE AND CAUGHT 3 FLATIES AND I HARVESTED THEM THE BIGGEST WAS 15LBS BUT NOW THAT I HAVE A 2 MONTH SUPPLY I WONT KEEP ANYTHING FOR A WHILE
    BUT WHEN WE MAKE OUR TRIP 3HRS AWAY YOU BETTER BELIEVE ME FOR THE MONEY I SPEND ON GAS I WILL KEEP A FEW FOR THE TABLE

8. silsbyj

silsbyj New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I run lines fairly often when its warm out. Only once have I taken 2 fish over 20 lbs off the line in the same day. Other than that I cant ever remember catching a bunch of big fish....lots of 10lb and under though. I just hope people use good judgement when they are harvesting big fish. Dont take it if the meat is going to set in the freezer all year.

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if i am tearing up the 10 pounders you can guarantee the 20+ is going back after some pictures. if i have fish in the freezer, i won't be running lines except the ones on my rod! i try to maintain a supply of fish in the freezer for us to eat, but i don't give fish away very often if at all. i had a buddy at work who had cancer and used to fish all the time, then went bad. i kept him in the fish for a long time, but that's different.

10. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Since learning how to use circle hooks, I've cleaned far fewer fish over 10 pounds simply because the hook does not injur the fish deeply. If a fish is injured in the gill, he will die.

I personally keep quite a few fish under 10 pounds and release all fish over 10 pounds to grow up. The filets and belly meat go to feed my immediate family. When I get a few meals frozen in the freezer, I will CPR all of the fish caught... but I do occasionally supply a few messes of fish to family members in OKC and Tulsa.

I feel that if a fisher-person stays within the confines of the law, he can keep or release fish at his leisure with no bellyaching from me. I hate to see the big girls killed, but I recognize the privelege of the fisher-person to do so.:wink:

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I agree with you one hundred percent I think if they catch them big catfish they they orta throw them back and keep the smaller fish, they wont be many big fish if people keeps on keeping them without throwing them back.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there also wont be any big ones if we eat all the little ones. they aint born big.:wink: and fish do eventually die of age. so someone who tosses back that 60lb flathead will be the last to ever catch it and 60lbs of some of the finest fish meat spoils. thats why i dont have a problem with someone taking a few. just have to use common sense when doing it. trotlining or banklining 4-5 days a week and keeping 20 fish over 20lbs a week is to extreme in some waters. and i even dont agree with that. but 3-4 a year. i have no problem with that at all.

13. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Not quite sure I agree with u on the big ones Jeremy. They may die of old age eventually, but they may spawn a huge mass of eggs just once more or 6 times more before that happens. That can`t be considered a waste, IMHO.

14. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i guess i lucky i only caught up to 8lb on trotline, tho i do like running them lots of backbreakin work but fun none the less

15. BEHITJ

BEHITJ New Member

State:
    Wentzville
    I just want to thank everyone on there comments Ijust wanted to get opinions from different people.I know of some people that run trot lines every weekend fri,sat,sun all summer and they catch and keep every thing from big to small & it really bothers me & some other people I know. Put it this way we had a gathering at the river one morning about 10 boats there & these people I'm talking about they had Quite a few fish in the 30lb. range tie off the side of there boat on stringers thats sad.I just hate to see a bunch of big fish get taken because of the genes and good spawners you can get alot of eggs from a big fish.

16. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    people keep saying eat the big ones trow back the smallones theres alot more small fish than the larger fish it would be hard to dent the pop eating small fish some people need to learn conservation

17. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    Life style changes create CPR.When i was young and had five kids and needed to work the overtime and had about three weekends a year to get up to the Miss. and trot line i kept big and small.Now the lines dont even get used,i can get all the wife and i need just pole and line fishing and relaxing.So i guess what comes to mine is that everyone has a different outlook at sometime and as long as they dont waste the meat get what they want and good luck.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    As long as their run within the legal means of the law and checked often I have no problems with them. I don't run them anymore due to health problems but thats just me. I myself prefer to CPR the big ones but have no qualms what someone else does legally. Its their business, not mine!:wink:

I rarely catch any Trophies to keep but when I do they are CPR'ed. I do rarely (few times a year) keep some 3-10# Channels to eat but have never tried Flatties.:wink::big_smile:

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Some people should work as hard at their daily jobs as these guys do running a trot line. It is not all fun and games.