Coming up empty

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Veets, Nov 17, 2006.

1. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    :sad2:
    Well after 20 years of hunting on the same farm, sharing nearly 400 acres with my son and three friends, my son and I have been relagated to a two acre wooded lot. The farmer who had allowed us to hunt on his land passed away this year and his land was sold to deer hunters who were unwilling to share the land with anyone.

A friend of my son asked his mother to allow us to hunt on her land. She owns five acres but most of that is house and backyard. We sat all day today, opening day, and saw no deer at all. The property is not home to deer for bedding or feeding but appears to be a travel corridor with a lot of sign. However, none were traveling this property today.

In the words of an old song, "you don't know what you've got til it's gone." But we knew what we had and appreciated it. Hope tomorrow goes better.

For those of you fortunate enough to have good hunting land, treat your host well and enjoy yourselves to the fullest. Things don't last forever.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Kind of the same way when I'm in the bathroom looking at my toilet paper, I'm like 'Wow! There's toilet paper?' I don't know if we appreciate how much we have until its gone.

3. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    Day two, more of the same. Several hours of sitting in the cold without a single sighting of a deer.

4. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I feel your pain Jim. There's a piece of property (52 acres) that I have hunted on the last 4 years, which has been a great place to hunt, because I and whoever I want to bring are the only ones that hunt it. They put it up for sale for $325,000 and developers are fighting over it already. Looks like this'll be my last year there. I KNOW YOUR PAIN and it BITES.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hang in there Jim, you are in good company. Here in Indiana you can bait feed up to 2 weeks before the season, maybe next year? If you're on a corridor, there's a chance. My Uncle's got 200 acres here in southern IN that he lets me and one other hunt, but can't keep the poachers off. I went out Saturday, cold and cloudy, not even a tree rat moving. Very little gun fire for opening morning. I did some more scouting before I left and found boot prints, drag marks from bow hunters....who were'nt supposed to be there. So had lost the open morning edge. It's always a disappointment when you lose something. Luck to you and yours.

6. Veets

Veets Member

State:
    Illinois
    Third day and not one deer sighted.

Bootshowl, people complain to me about hunters and refer to the guys you talk about in your entry. I keep telling them those guys aren't hunters they are jerks that ruin it for the honest hunters.

One of the reasons that this farmer allowed us to hunt all those years was because he knew we were honest hunters and that he could trust us to respect his land and hunt ethically. The first year we hunted on the land there were as many as 20 guys to whom he also gave access. After two or three years it was down to my hunting partner and me. We gradually added my partner's son, then my son and most recently my partner's grandson. For the last fourteen years we were the only people allowed to gun hunt on his land. Local residents weren't real fond of us because we camped on the land the entire first gun season and part of the second season. Our presence kept some of them from poaching. We realized they still managed to do it when we found gut piles the day after a day none of us were able to make it out there during the second season.

:angry:
    It's too bad that these goofs give us a bad name and make farmers and other land owner wary of allowing anyone permission to hunt on their land. I wish I could afford to buy my own property but then I'd be faced with keeping poachers off my land as is the case with so many land owners in rural areas.

We'll be looking for another spot next year I'm guessing. But they are real hard to find now because of some of the goofs that call themselves hunters.

7. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hang in there jim. look at this way you was lucky enough to get to hunt the same place for 14 years. not many folks can say that. i know a fellow here that was leasing land from a landowner for 3-4 years and this year the landowner died but the lease had already been paid early in the year. well the land owners better half leased the land to someone else without telling anyone. well opening day wasnt a pretty sight. so it could have been worse. sorry you lost your spot but it happens more and more now days with all the bigger farms getting broke up and sold in smaller tracks. i only hunt on my 5 acres now and thats not a lot but you can do a lot of things to a small track in the right area to still make for good hunting just no room to roam like the big tracks. i seen 6-7 differnet bucks this week and seen deer ever day on 5 acres. thats not normal but it made for a great week of hunting. hope it works out for you.