Coming up empty in west central Indiana

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Wabash River Bear, May 2, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

Its not been a good season for alot of us in Vigo & Sullivan Co. Indiana. If anything could work against us, it has. Weather in early April jacked up the birds habits. Got disrupted by loggers in Greene & Sullivan St. Forest (way to go IDNR, turkey season is a great time harvest trees on public hunting property). Mushroom hunters tromping all around (I guess those big back and white signs on public land stating " Permit only turkey hunting till 1:00 p.m., property available for other use after 1:00 p.m. dont really mean anything). Birds gobbling their heads off till noon and not coming in, and when you get one to cooperate, then another %#$@&* hunter walks in on our setup this morning in the middle of working a hot gobbler, for the second day in a row ( hmmmm, wonder why that truck is parked next to that field and woods during turkey season? Looks like a good place to go......ruin somebody's day!!!!!). After spending days scouting, countless hours hunting 2 different properties 20 miles apart, my vacation and turkey season "07" is drawing to an end for me. I'll get to hunt a couple days next week due to my work schedule, but if it works like this week I might as well,,,, go mushroom hunting and cut firewood on public land!:ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah:
  2. Wooly

Wooly New Member

I really hate to hear all the problems you had. I know how you and the rest of our brothers look forward to the season. Has anyone else connected (other than Wheatman)?
    As discouraging as it is thats what makes it a sport. Otherwise it would like going to Taco Bell. Like catt'in, turkey hunting nature needs to favor the critter to be a sport.

Keep the faith,

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

Sorry to hear your troubles Barry ,I hope things improve for you Soon.
  4. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

That sounds like my season last year. This year the turkey hunting has been really good to me. A buddy and I doubled opening morning. Friday I called one in for my dad. Saturday I called one in for a 15 year old boy. This weekend I'm taking a 11 year old boy. I know how it feels to go through a season where everything goes wrong. Don't give up. The last weekend has always been good for me.
  5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

Marlette Michigan
    Keep your chin up Barry. There are worse things that could happen. Look on the bright side. A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work.
    Keep plugging away. Your not doing anything wrong. Good things come to those who sometimes have bad luck in the field. Say a lttle pray to St. Hubert, and he'll guide you along.
    Be safe!