Coming up empty in west central Indiana

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by Wabash River Bear, May 2, 2007.

1. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Its not been a good season for alot of us in Vigo & Sullivan Co. Indiana. If anything could work against us, it has. Weather in early April jacked up the birds habits. Got disrupted by loggers in Greene & Sullivan St. Forest (way to go IDNR, turkey season is a great time harvest trees on public hunting property). Mushroom hunters tromping all around (I guess those big back and white signs on public land stating " Permit only turkey hunting till 1:00 p.m., property available for other use after 1:00 p.m. dont really mean anything). Birds gobbling their heads off till noon and not coming in, and when you get one to cooperate, then another %#$@&* hunter walks in on our setup this morning in the middle of working a hot gobbler, for the second day in a row ( hmmmm, wonder why that truck is parked next to that field and woods during turkey season? Looks like a good place to go......ruin somebody's day!!!!!). After spending days scouting, countless hours hunting 2 different properties 20 miles apart, my vacation and turkey season "07" is drawing to an end for me. I'll get to hunt a couple days next week due to my work schedule, but if it works like this week I might as well,,,, go mushroom hunting and cut firewood on public land!:ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah: :ah:

2. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I really hate to hear all the problems you had. I know how you and the rest of our brothers look forward to the season. Has anyone else connected (other than Wheatman)?
    As discouraging as it is thats what makes it a sport. Otherwise it would like going to Taco Bell. Like catt'in, turkey hunting nature needs to favor the critter to be a sport.

Keep the faith,
    Wooly

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sorry to hear your troubles Barry ,I hope things improve for you Soon.

4. quackingtim

quackingtim New Member

State:
    indiana
    That sounds like my season last year. This year the turkey hunting has been really good to me. A buddy and I doubled opening morning. Friday I called one in for my dad. Saturday I called one in for a 15 year old boy. This weekend I'm taking a 11 year old boy. I know how it feels to go through a season where everything goes wrong. Don't give up. The last weekend has always been good for me.

5. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Keep your chin up Barry. There are worse things that could happen. Look on the bright side. A bad day of hunting is better than a good day at work.
    Keep plugging away. Your not doing anything wrong. Good things come to those who sometimes have bad luck in the field. Say a lttle pray to St. Hubert, and he'll guide you along.
    Be safe!
    Sparky