COming to Indiana

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by centralcalcat, Nov 1, 2005.

1. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    Well it is official, I will be heading out to Valparaiso IN, Feb 16th. I just got back form my trip out there and it went geat. I am looking forward to the move.

-brian

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Brian,
    Welcome in advance to Indiana. I lived in Valparaiso for 5 years in the late 80's / early 90's. It's a nice town. Be sure to have a hot turkey sandwich at the Strongbow Inn and the best bar in town is the Franklin House. Rough around the edges but there used to be a great crowd in there. I still come up there occasionally, might see you one day...W

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Can't wait till you get here Brian! We'll definately have to get together and do some fishin!! Glad to hear everything went well with the parents ;) Take it easy.

Ryan

4. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    thanks guys.

Ryan,

We will deffinately have to get together.

baitfish,

i grew up in Alaska, snow is no big deal, shoveled it before and am sure i can do it again.

-brian

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    welcome to indiana brother. valpo is about an hour west of me and hoosierpolecat. if you want to poke some holes in the ice this winter drop us a line. may you have a safe and uneventfull trip across the states.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    and flathead next summer too. lol

tim

7. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

We will have to do that, it has been about 7 years since I was ice fishing.

-Brian

8. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    I didnt want to start a new thread for this, but im comin home (Indiana) for the weekend. Any ice on yet(whiting, south bend, Michigan city..anywhere up there) I will also be near indy for a day, ice on up there? Anybody fish prarie creek or summit? I nail the big cats up there right before ice on. At prarie creek I used to catch blues n flats n the 20's right under the second bridge on the main lake side just off the channel edge(where most people fish for crappie). Ill be headin up thurdsay, be good if i can get a heads up on water/ice conditions....Might even head up to Saugatuck Mi. for some walleye fishn...

9. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Baitfish Prarie creek is in Muncie(or at least close to it). If u crappie or walleye fish, Ice out is the time to go man. Most people wait til apr for the crappie there but by then they get smaller. I go as soon as the water is open under the bridge(usually there are still people ice fishin at this time) man u get some slab crappie. For the walleye i fish on bottom with nightcrawler on a carolina rig with a large chartruese(?) or flo orange floating jig head(small chubs work well too. If u go there u can see pics of me with some huge fish at the Lighthouse baitshop there. As far as the big cats in that lake, they hardly get any pressure so their easy to find if ur a catman. Summit lake is south east of muncie , i dont remember the town but its a fairly large lake. Its known for producing blues in the 20s. After ice out i used shad guts hooked through the gizzard or big chubs. Both produced some nice fish. I dont know if u are familiar with Westwood which is close to anderson or new castle i forget which. Its got some nice cats that people sleep on. Being that blues are cold weather fish(especially in lakes as weedy as westwood) Of course thats when ull get the big boys... Most people dont even know that there are blues int the 20s n that lake, Ive had a few on this site to challenge me saying that before...But a few catmen know what to do out there when....All in all, before ice on, and right after ice out, I can personally vouche for these three lakes which are reasonably close enough to you that you should try em.. Oh yeah, chubs right at 5inches curled up on a 4/0kahle on bottom @westwood(just go in throught the eye then curl and out by the tail)...Hope this helps man...post results if u get out there...Ill probably try prarie creek. Im bringin some menhadden to try...cant wait.

10. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    OH, north of indy, we used to get some good flathead n the wabash river near lafayette in the dead of winter. It would take time to find them, but once we found them they were always in good numbers holed up..small pumpkinseed seemed to work best (back then..3yrs ago)

11. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Well, i did manage to get out to prarie creek res. sat for a few hours. I caught about a dozen 1to3lb channel n blues @ the second bridge on sonny's regular and one 8lb blue on cut(frozen)menhadden. I also caught 15or so decent yellow perch right at the bridge pilings on minnows(baitshops closed so i bought rosy reds from a petstore) It was cold as Heck, but i had fun..I was the only person i saw,lol..

12. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Welcome to the Hoosier state! I live about an hour south of you. I know you like fishing but If you like racing you have come to the right state too.
    Bill :D

13. Mr Phatkat

Mr Phatkat New Member

State:
    Charleston sc
    Im plannin another(week long) trip back to indiana in march(about the second week). Ill be spending half of it in the Indianapolis(muncie) area and the other half in the Chicagoland(whiting, merriville maybe Michigan city) area. If anybody will be doin any fishin within an hours drive of any of those places at that time, give me a holler.

14. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX

I will be about twenty minutes south of Merriville. I don't know the area too well, but I am sure we can find a fish somewhere.