Coming to Huntington - fishing opportunities??

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by gottafish, Oct 2, 2005.

1. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'll be in Huntington/Kenova during the week of 10 Oct on business and hope to throw in my fishing tackle. Don't have much time to really search out and find any good locations. Can anybody help a brother out and give me some ideas on that part of the river? What species are common? Bait? Availability? Location?(email is ok if you don't want to post location on the web - I promise not to divulge any info offered :) )

Thanks a bunch for any help! I would, of course, be happy to reciprocate for big James river blues here in Virginia below Richmond anytime ya'll are in the vicinity.

/Scott

2. jrm11

jrm11 New Member

State:
    Fairmont, W Va.
    LOWER OHIO AND KANAWHA RIVERS –The tailwaters of the lock and dam projects and other areas of current are great places to fish right now. Anglers targeting flathead catfish are doing well using live suckers, shad and skipjack. Channel catfish are being caught while using chicken liver, cut-bait and stinkbait.

White bass and hybrid-striped bass are being caught in current from power plant discharges on small jigs with white grubs.

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Great post . just what I was going to tell him.

4. gottafish

gottafish New Member

State:
    Chesapeake, VA
    Thanks for the replies. We'll see how it goes. Beats sitting in a hotel room in the evenings, that's for sure.
    /Scott

5. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Exactly what John said. I've not fished Kanawha myself, but hear it's the place to be. Have fun and good luck!