Coming to Alabama!

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by tbull, Jan 5, 2010.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey all, I have never givin myself a vacation of my own without the family, that being said myself and Riverking are headed down to Wheeler in May. I have never been there before, and am pretty excited. I am coming from Cincinnati, what town is near there for me to have an idea of how to get there? Also, I know these are series of bodies of water, are there a good deal of ramps to fish Wheeler, or do you have to lock through? What about the bait situation? Should I bring shad, skips, can you catch all of the above there? And how to you fish down there? Is there current like a river, or is drifting the ticket? Not asking for honey holes or anything, just trying to get a leg up, I have never fished a lake or resavuoir for blue cats, and just want to get the best out of probably once in a lifetime trip, and is Wheeler pretty loaded with bluecats? I just hate having to go into it blind, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, is Wheeler my best bet for blues? I fish the Ohio River alot for blues, but the lake situation is alot different for me.

Thanks in advance, hopefully I run into a few members down there. Will be there May 6th through the 10th. Last thing I swear, how much is it for a visitors license? Do you guys have like 3 or 7 day licenses available?

2. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama

Wheeler is the longest stretch on the Tenn river...the upper end is more like a river with current and the lower end is more like a lake with a lot less current if any....there are ramps everywhere on wheeler...as far as bait...that time of year you should be able to get all the skips and shad you want below these three dams...wheeler,wilson and guntersville...as far as drifting or anchoring....they both are good that time of year....wheeler and wilson lakes will be your best bet for a trophy blue....heres a link for the license....http://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/........

3. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    jason thinks he know it all lol :Happy: and does in some cases , but come on down . help you any way i can i know that . i live in the middle of wilson and only mins from wheeler

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks guys, if I headed to Rogersville would that pretty much put me in the Area?