Coming down to fish in early March

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by loanwizard, Feb 2, 2008.

1. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    A few friends and I are driving down from Ohio in search of a big Blue around the first of March. Having never caught a Blue, you can imagine my excitement when I read about Cataholic catching 25 fish, 4 over 40 and a 55.
    We will be hiring a guide (from here on the BOC).

Is the Days Inn in Chester decent? Any good restaurants nearby? Is it difficult to locate and castnet Shad?

Would anyone mind sharing techniques for this time of year such as drift or still fish. Eddy's, holes, structure etc...?

Anyone want to meet up with some brothers just to BS of an evening?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn

2. blacksheep

blacksheep New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a suggestion for you to check out this gentlemen as guide when you come down. He has put the clients on hugh fish. He fishes up river (captain Hugh Self). I am talking fish up to 80 lbs or better.
    Good luck on your spring trip

3. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Thank you. We've contracted Hugh. Looking forward to some great fishing.

4. justlearning

justlearning New Member

State:
    VA
    Note: All underlines are links....

Hugh's Catfishing Guide Service
    Hugh is also a listed with the BOC Catfishing Guide Partnership
    Captain Hugh is a top Catfishing Guide on the James River in Virginia he guarantees a 20 Lb fish on your fishing trip.

Here's a link to one of my trips with Captain Hugh:
    James River-A Day with Captain Hugh

Visual Films and BOC Staff while filming Catfishing America was guided by Capt Hugh and while on that trip for 10 days they captured the largest two catfish ever filmed in the United States on TV. This guy can put you on some fish.

The link below is to the page that blacksheep posted his pics. You will have to scroll down the page to see his post.

On 11/13/07 we caught 12 fish, total weight 441lbs. 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 38, 38, 40, 43, 45, 51, and last fish of the day 61lb wild cat.

Blacksheep's Report

or pics below:

45 Lb Blue

51 Lb Blue

61 Lb Blue

Jerry

5. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    I am going down febuary 17-21 will give you some info when I get back.The first time down I took chris harris as a guide he knew I had a boat and did not take me to alot of spots,but did show me the basic on how to fish the river are biggest was a 35lb fish but he was fishing on a cold front.Later that week in our boat we did get a 75lb and a few 30 to 40 lb fish.I have talked with chris eberwein and his clients down at the ramp the last few years and he is good always seems to catch alot of fish and big fish.If you are going to use a throw net I would get at least a 8ft net and practice with it if you don't know how to throw one before you go.To bad you are not going a couple weeks earilyer I could show you the river.

6. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Sounds like you guys are already hooked up pretty good. If you have booked Hugh Self your in good hands and have no worries.:big_smile:Chris Eberwein is also a great guide i see and talk to him pretty regular and he does put his clients on some hawgs. As well does Hugh.

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Shawn, I hired a guide when I went down there back in Sept. and we caught quite a few blues even though they were not hitting very well at the time. I went back down on Jan 5 and took my boat but I called before I went and when I got there he met with us, got us some bait and marked a map of some places to fish, we did catch some with the largest being 48lbs. I'm going back down there with my wife and daughter the last week of march. I met the other guide, Hugh while I was down there in Jan, a really nice person, he also gave me some bait to use for the next day. I hope you do well and catch a big one.

8. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Shawn, I will be thar from March 17-18, 2008 with the good Capt. If you are there a week or so earlier, do me a favor please. Don't let the Capt. put you on a seventy pounder. It has my name on it, I hope. Let us know all about your trip, because I have a feeling it will be a trip of a life time. I know mine will be. Mac

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Y'all couldn't be coming at a better time. March the river is full of fish moving around feeding on all the spawning Shad coming up the river. Only problen is the bite is so strong, the 20 and 30 pounders jump on baits before the big pigs. Have fun and I hope you get a bunch of 20 big fish days.

10. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    OK, I'll tell you what. We'll let all the 70's slide by on the depth finder. Captain Hugh, you hear that? We've now been told to look for 80's and 90's.

Honestly, I am psyched. This is the "trip of a lifetime". I always thought it would be Santee Cooper, Henderson, or Tennessee, but this one has my blood rollin. I read where one guy had a "bad" day with only 16 in the boat, a 16, 22, 32, 43, and a 55..... Even with 4 guys in a boat, I'd be thrilled with that.

I only hope we can castnet for Shad when the good Captain is not around. Although he has promised to help us out that way, I don't like to be dependent on anyone.

I do wish you and anyone headed to the "Holy" Land, "Mecca" to have the absolute best of luck!

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i am perfectly fine with 20-30 pounders! i just want the college boy who is a bass fisherman to have a good time! can't wait to see his face LOL...rollo

12. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Bringing this back to the top,would sure like to meet as many members from Va as we can while down there,maybe even get some pointers and teqniques for your area, hope to hear from you all

13. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I definitely enjoyed the trip and catching my first blue. Also got to meet Capt. Hugh, Randy Harris, Kevin Salmon and Don Sweet. They're all a great bunch of people in that area and willing to help one another out. So I don't think you'll need to worry about bait if Hugh said he'd take care of ya! I do wish all of you the best of luck and a safe and happy return!