COMFORT VS. WAHOO STATUS

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 24, 2010.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    LAST NIGHT MY BUDDY HAD HIS 209 SETUP WITH HIM... I PLAYED WITH IT A LITTLE BIT AND REALLY LIKED THE FEEL OF IT VERSES THE XP452L I HAVE SITTING IN ITS BOX WAITING TO BE SHIPPED BACK TO THE SELLER,,,,,

UP UNTIL THIS POINT I WAS GOING TO BUY A 309 BUT THOSE 5 OZ'S HAVE TA ADD QUITE A BIT MORE STATURE.....

AFTER WE LEFT THE DOCK I ASKED HIM IF I COULD BORROW THE REEL TO PUT ON MY POLE JUST TO GET A FEEL OF IT...

ITS NICE :) I THINK HAVING THE 309 ON THERE WILL BE A BIT BIG FOR MY TASTE....

THIS NOW LEADS TO ASK ABOUT WHATS BETTER IN A REEL... THE POWER OR THE COMFORT...

I LIKE TO HAVE THE REEL IN MY HANDS AND BE ABLE TO FEEL NIBLES(LIKE SOME ON HERE)... RATHER THEN HAVING 5 POLES OUT AT ONCE...... WAITING FOR THE CLICKER TO GO OFF ......

I PLAN ON HAVING 10 LBS OF DRAG OUT OF THE 209 OR 15 LBS OF DRAG WITH THE 309..WHICH LEADS ME TO THE OTHER THING ABOUT HOW MANY REELS (HIGH DOLLAR) DONT EVEN ALLOW YOU TO DO THAT....

I THINK 10 LBS OF DRAG AND A SUPER STIFF POLE WILL BRING A 40-50 LB FLATHEAD UP WITH FEW PROBLEMS....I JUST DONT WANT TO BUY A 309 TO FIND OUT IT AINT THE REEL FOR ME :(

THOUGHT / OPINIONS GREATLY APPRICIATED

LeRoy

2. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I MEANT THIS POST AS IN THE FACT THAT I DONT LIKE ABU REELS NOR DO I LIKE TO PAY LOTS OF MONEY FOR A REEL.....(WHAT EVER COMPANY)

I THINK THAT PENN AND OKUMA HAVE A HIGHER DRAG RATEING THAN MOST REELS SUCH AS ABU'S (NOT KNOCKING THEM BUT THEYRE NOT MY CUP OF TEA)

SO HAVING A WENCH FOR SOME IS BETTER THEN HAVING A TINY CASTING COMBO LIKE ABUS AND VISE-VERSA)

LeRoy

3. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    The 209 is the reel you want. Like said in the other thread you have, the 309 is HUGE. 10lbs of drag is a lot of drag. 10lbs of drag with a good line of at least 30lb test will handle any catfish that you've going to land in North America. If you're going to drag them out of cover, crank the drag tight, use pliers to get another turn cranked, load some 100lb line on it and play tug of war. :laugh1:

BTW, didn't you sell a Penn 209 on the classifieds a few months ago?

4. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I GOT A OFFER FROM A TURIST HERE IN LHC OF 65$ AND HAD TO TAKE IT.... WENT FOR GAS,GROCERIES,SCHOOL STUFF, AND EVEN OIL FOR MY HARLEY.... DIDNT PLAN ON DOING ANY SERIOUS CATTING FOR A FEW MONTHS SO I HAD TO SELL IT (PARENTS GAVE ME THE CREDIT WHEN THE SEASON STARTED)

LeRoy

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    MY BIGGEST CONCERN WAS OVER STRAINING THE REEL.... PLANNING ON GETTING 100 LB BRAIN ANYWAY..... JUST WANTED TO SEE WHAT ALL THE VET'S THOUGHT OF MY PLAN...

6. Papa64

Papa64 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    ARDENT has a catfish reel out now that has either 34 or 36 lbs of drag on it. They don't hold much line though, but with that much drag you may not need it. The only problem I found was the $249 price tag on it. I have a 209 and it will deffinetly bring in a big one when I get somewhere to catch one.

7. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Nah, you'll be good to go with it. You're not going to hurt it.

8. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

For the way you,re fishing Leroy,I,d say the 209.Since you wanna go with #100 braid,I,d say the 309,simply for the extra line capacity.I,m mainly a line watcher,so I usually aint holding my poles til I see a little action.I aint worried about no wahoo status,it,s just that if you get hung up a couple times with a good bit of line out,that #100 braid goes down pretty fast.

9. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I wont lie the 309 and 330GT2 are huge reels. I prefer the size of my 320GT2 and 7000i, they are perfect. Only reason I went with 309s were to have 2 poles that I could leave out with big bait just in case the world record grabbed one of my poles and I wanted to be sure I could handle him. Leroy I'm sure the 209 with 80#PP or whatever line you choose should be adequate to pull a 60+ LB Flattie out of cover with the rod you're going to use. It will be more comfortable to use, easier to cast and less wear on your muscles after a long day of fishing

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What does drag ratings have to do with anything???? If you know anything about fishing then you should know that drag does not mean anything like you think. Just because I felt like it to make my point in hand. Also because I keep seeing you post about drag poundage. Here is the deal. I just checked how much drag I use for the first time ever. I run about 6 pounds of drag with 80 pound sufix braid. My reels are Shimano Tekota 600's. These reels have a max drag of 18 pounds. I may put more drag on the reel if fighting a fish but most the time I loosen it before I tighten it. :Happy: The rod does the work not the reel. If you are fighting a fish with the reel then you have a nick in your armor. Bottom line don't get hung up on reel stats or brand names. If you are looking for a reel with a good smooth drag get a Abu I series or Shimano Tekota. I don't know how the new penn reels are but I'm a big fan of the new drag systems out there. (carbon fiber, dartainium drag,etc..)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I was talkin to a guy a couple weeks ago about Avet reels, the new raptor double drag reels with magnetic cast control. I told him the cast control wasn't needed on them reels, and we were discussing drag, that size reel has 9 lbs on strike and 14 lb max, the next size up has 9 lb at strike and 19 lb max, he told me he could modify the reel to get 100 lbs drag. Maybe he can modify a 209 to increase the drag, if ya send a pm I will send his number if I can find it.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Drag rating means nothing to me..I have no problem landing 50-lb plus flatheads in river current on abu 6500's even with there weak drag setting.

Just go catch a big one, and dont worry about it...I hope you land many big fish this year on your reel of choice.

You fight the fish with the rod not the reel, the reel is just something that lets out and takes up line...

But I do prefer a very smooth drag, for when I have a flathead close to shore and he decides to make one last big run.

Another reason I like the newer abus, with the carbon matrix drag.

But you can catch fish with any tackle, just make sure it is in good working order.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  13. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    couldnt be said better. I dont ut too much drag on mostly just half way tight unless I'm fishing trees and I have to pull the fish up quick. I like to let the fish pull line, I'll pump the rod and use my thumb. I use tighter drag on spinning reels though since I cant thumb the reel

14. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    THESE LAST FEW POST WERE BASICALLY WHAT I HAVE BEEN AND PLAN ON DOING FOR MY CATTING.....

GOOD INFO EVERYONE !!!

MUCH APPRICIATED :)

LeRoy