Combination baits...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by GoFish_Tony, Jul 5, 2006.

1. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I know this is probably a dumb question. But please understand I am VERY new to fishing.

I was fishing this weekend and was having no luck with either of my dip baits. I was getting near the bottom of both containers and decided to combine them (blood & cheese) on my Looper treble hook rig. Still no luck, so I did the same and this time added a small piece of Berkley Catfish Powerbait. Well, I wish I could say that was the magic combination, but I still had no luck.

Later I tried the same thing along with a piece of hotdog (left over dinner) and caught my first Long-nosed Gar. (Had no idea what it was until I got home and looked it up on the internet. Mine was 29” long and fought like a Northern Pike. What a STRANGE looking fish!)

My question to you all is:
    Is there a good combination of baits that you have tried?
    Have you ever thrown a catfish smorgasbord out, and did it work?
    _

2. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Frankly I have never had much luck at all with dough baits or dip baits.

Saying that, I have had good luck on worms, minnows (both bought and caught), bluegill, chicken livers, and fresh shad (never had luck with frozen).

3. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    For bigger catfish on dip baits I've had luck mixing Benny Roberts Sure Shot Punch Bait and Cattracker Baits Wicked Sticky. Have caught them up to near 14 lbs with this combo. God bless.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have never combined stink baits Tony.

I combine Chicken Liver and Garlic 99% of the time I use Chicken Liver.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Shrimp and a nightcrawler is a pretty good combo bait.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can't stand the stink and never caught anything with any size to it off stink baits.

7. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ill combo the baits up if they arent hitting. Bluegill tipped with nightcrawlers, chicken breast with crawler, chicken breast tipped with liver. Anything soaked in blood, it doesnt hurt to try something new.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "Is there a good combination of baits that you have tried?"

I am a cut bait man, so I can not speak about pack baits, but I do know that some cut baits work better on some days than others. Furthermore, I have had tons of bites on bream heads while the bream steaks were not touched, AND VICE VERSA.

Have you ever thrown a catfish smorgasbord out, and did it work?

I have added shrimp to cut bait, or a nighcrawler to cut bait, but most of the time that was in desperation and it ended up not working. Was it the bait or the bite? Who knows.

Some days are better than others, and some days some baits are better than others. It pays to have a good selection of baits on hand, and using a bait one time without luck does not mean it does not work.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I recently tried stuffing ground chicken livers inside of night crawlers and caught of all things crappie a bunch of them along with some big bream and a couple of catfish.

10. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The other night I poured some Chicken Liver juice on a little bit of Dip Bait I had left in one container. Caught a little Cat (about 8 inches) on it. Had lots of bites, but I was having trouble setting the hook and missed about 5 fish, or posibly the same fish 5 times:embarassed: I think the dip bait I was using was Hog Wild Original (from Walmart) I let my little girl talk me into buying the Hog Wild pink stuff. I think if I see a fish swim by I could maybe knock him out by throwing the container at him, but I sure have not got any bites off it.

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I never had much luck with hog wild but others around me say it works. I forget which brand it is, they may not sell it anymore but there was a brand they sold in a flat square chuck like 6 inch by 4 inch by 2 inch. They advertised that no fish could remove the bait. They were right the bait was as tough as rubber and didnt disolve in water. But we used shad and blood flavor on both rod n reel and trotlines and never got a single fish on it either. So maybe the reason it never leaves the hook is because fish dont like it ; /

Personally my favorite non natural bait is either danny kings punch bait when fishing under bird roost, or Magic bait dough balls for anything else. These bait are top of the list for me when I cant get fresh shad or perch.

12. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have mixed bait in trots and had bites. It can't hurt to try.

13. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    How do you mix the two?

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I dont think i have ever gotten a bite on any commercial dip daits...I usually just use cut and live bait..seems to be what works for me