Columbia/Snake River Steelhead

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by tricitycatter, Dec 23, 2009.

1. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I have been introduced to what I think will be a long & very expensive fishing experience...that is Pacific or Columbia River Steelhead. I recently moved to the Tri-Cities area of South East Washington, (I have lived in Eastern washington for many years) and have heard everyone talk about Steelhead runs, but untill this last fall I have never considered trying to fish for them thinking you needed a boat. I went to the local Sportsman's warehouse & asked a ton of questions & spent a ton of $$$ on 2 set ups to fish from from the bank. After putting in my 80 hours, as the local old timers say is minimum before you get a fish, I had multiple bites & no fish hooked or landed. I had an oldtimer tell/show me what I was doing wrong, and soon corrected my leader length, get the right size/color hook, and hook my shrimp correctly, then BAMMMM first fish on and it was a dandy. 39" and about 18lbs....but to my dismay it was a wild fish, not a hatchery fish (clipped adipose fin), and I had to release it. 3 months & countless hours and all I have is 3 on my catch card (hatchery fish/keepers) and 4 wild ones to claim as catches, 5 quick release fish right at the net to ponder over. Tons of hours logged fishing & less than 20 fish hooked, but I am hooked & untill you have caught a Steelhead you will never know the unbelievable fight, spectaculr airial shows, and gleaming silver & crimson of Pacific Steelhead.

2. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    PB010047_edited.jpg
    39" Wild Snake River Pacific Steelhead aprox 15-18lbs

PB290055_edited.jpg
    36" wild Snake River Pacific Steelhead aprox 10-12lbs

3. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fond memories of steelhead and salmon fishen with my dad in CA. I still remember the day he hooked a 22lb fresh sea runn steelehead and handed me the rod as a 10 year old kidd. I have my luv of catfish, spoons and stripers. But a part of me will always be happy for just fishen with dad for salmon and steelhead.