Columbia Locks and Dam

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by P. nasuta, Oct 27, 2006.

1. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hi Guys,

I'm new to the board and found an older post regarding Columbia Locks and Dam, so I thought I would start a new thread. I fish there in spurts, it's about a 45 minute drive, so if I feel like a ride I go, other wise I fish the river farther north.

There are plenty of skipjack there. However, if the gate next to the lock is open they tend to stay in that area, it is a really long cast. I have caught them on crappy jigs and small spinners while fishing for white bass. At times the big white bass can be amazing.

I have caught cats all along the rocks, from the dam on down. I like to use large threadfin or cut gizzard shad. Like all fishing, sometimes it is good there and sometimes it is slow. There are some really nice blues and flatheads there, although the blues are very dark in color. Blues further north on the river, Monroe area, are very pretty. There are very light in color, almost sky blue with silver sides, and a nice white belly.

If you have any questions about columbia let me know.

Take Care,
    P. nasuta

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    When you fish for skips which side do you fish on? The lock side or the outflow side?

3. P. nasuta

P. nasuta New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I always fish the west side of the river. There is a short walkway along the river followed by a couple of hundred yards of rip-rap. The skipjack are usually in the faster flow below the dam. The spilway is at the west side, then 3 or 4 gates, then the wall of the lock. The last few times I went all of the gates were closed and the main flow was coming over the spillway. White bass and skipjack were in easy casting distance for a light spinning reel and 5 foot rod. If the skipjack are farther out you can use a surf rod with a tandem of jigs and some extra weight at the end of the line and make the long cast.

Take Care,
    P. Nasuta