Columbia Canal?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Palmetto, Aug 23, 2005.

1. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    I just took a walk down to Riverfront Park here in Columbia. Have any of y'all fished that Canal?

I was just wondering about it- I don't know how deep it is, but it has sure been there a long time and certainly looks deep enough to house some cats.

The water was pretty muddy from yesterday's rain, so all I could see was a big carp prowling the grass around the edge. It is so convenient to downtown, I may at least try to wet a hook in there soon.

2. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    i fished there a good bit its awful fishing for some reason the water in the canal is 60 to 70 feet deep at the walk over bridge , i tell you one thing theres zillions of crawdads in the canal its unreal if you like eating them you can fill a trap slap full

its weird before the broad river hits the canal the catfishing is great in the canal theres nothing at all you only catch tiny ones

3. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    That is really strange. You would think if that canal is that deep, it should house some monsters. The over-populated crawdads also suggest that there may not be many predators in there as you would think.

I walked back down there yesterday, saw a gar and some nice looking redbreast bream around the edge.

I also saw some paths that led down to some interesting looking holes on the Broad, right near where I-126 passes over the River and Canal. There were lots of forked sticks and empty nightcrawler tubs, so somebody has been doing a lot of fishing down there. I hate when people leave their trash...

Hey, where are some good bank-fishing spots in or near Columbia for me to get some cats?

Thanks for your input, man!

Darren

4. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    the river side is good cat fishing, one good area is up there towards the begining of the canal right there where broad river road goes over the walkway , the best fishing is the other side of the canal walk you can see where people are parking to fish there its good there just walk down the trails there , remember its the oppsite side of the river walk

5. Palmetto

Palmetto New Member

State:
    Elgin, SC
    Hey, thanks- you are gonna laugh, but I think I am going down there shortly.

Do you live near Columbia?

6. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    hi yup i live about 8 miles from that canal , lemmie know what you get!

7. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    hummm i just noticed you live in elgin , thats where i store my fishing supplies , if you ever need rods or reels cheap look me up

8. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    hey did you ever try it in the canal????????????
    /

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    palmetto if you are in elgin try wateree river behind the dam. i fish there anytime i go to my in-laws. i only fish it when the water isnt wide open. you can always catch fish there 3 to 7 lbs. just dip up some shad cut and fish it bout 6 ft below a float. should be able to catch more than you want. mainly channels though. have cuaght some blues but not many the have come on live bait. saw acouple of flatties caught there but havent got one myself yet.

10. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    whichrod what kind of fishing supplies do you have.

11. whichrod

whichrod New Member

State:
    columbia sc
    pretty much shakespeare stuff ive got a huge selection

12. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    where are you located at?