Columbia area

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by harper81, Apr 22, 2008.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Going to be in Columbia tomorrow and just wanted to know a few spots I can get a line wet from the bank? Either one of the rivers or Murray it doesn't really matter to me.

2. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    You can hit the river right under the Gervais Street bridge... You can catch Striper, Catfish, and Bass.

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Like Joel said, I have caught channel cats right below the Gervais Street bridge. Years ago when I was in school in Columbia, that was a pretty riough area, though. Don't know now. I think they have a new park on the west side of the river - might be able to fish there. Lot of little stripers in that area, too, at times.

I have also caught channels right behind the Riverbanks Zoo on the Saluda. You used to be able to get to the river right belwo the rapids by going through the picnic area in the woods to the right of the park gate. When the river is low you can fish off the sandbar. Cast big swimming plugs or grub for stripers wihile soaking a bait for channle cats. If the river is up, that pretty much wipes out the bank fishing here. If you are out on the rocks or on the sand bar and the alarm goes off (to signal rising water), get out fast!