Colors VS Conditions

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by Mickey, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    What colors do you prefer under what conditions,when crappie fishing. The cleared the water I like pinks and whites. Stained water I like green and chartreuse. The darker the water, I like the dark red and blacks. I know there is a mixture in between these colors. Do some of you use the color selector? What are your preferences are guidelines?

2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    whenever i select a color of a lure, i start by placing the lure just under the water (a few inches) if the lure puts off what looks to be a hallo of that color around it, i switch colors until i find one that doesnt. then i go from there. i keep switching up the colors until i start catching fish. to be honest my goto color for crappie in most conditions is white with some kind of flash to it. i think the silver flash does more than the color. i prefer to use live minnows most of the time so i fish them on a single hook with the weight about 8in above it on a slip float. i dont fish much in the winter months for them so i dont have to fish them so deep.

3. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Black and chartruse is the most popular,and i seem to catch on it under most conditions.red and white is also very good.had very good luck last year on orange and white and black and yellow in stained water.In the fall purple has very good to me.but i will try several colors to find what is working that day.:big_smile:

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm guessing what Mark is calling black and chartreause is the black/green tube? Anyhow that on a 1/16th leadhead does perfect for the crappie here to. Also get those pesky yellows to. :angry: Sometimes if the skipjack are around they'll hit the pink/white tubes.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I've only crappie fished once, and it was with a buddy from work who is a part time crappie guide on the lake here. We went shooting docks in the spring.......he could shoot that jig up under docks and they would come out the other side......I was just trying to get that down, let alone catch a damn fish.....I never much understood the colors, but he had all kinds of varieties, I know that day he switched from white to bubble gum, which was a pinkish color......

6. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Do any of you die hard crappie fisherman use the Color Selector

7. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Some really good info on this thread. thanks

8. cvbaitman

cvbaitman New Member

State:
    georgia
    no i dont use color chart , start withlighter colors in clear colors and darker colors in stained or darker water, i change colors and check to see what colors i get more fish on till i find best colors

9. festus

festus New Member

In clear water, I usually go with a pearl color 2" curly tail grub on a 1/16 oz leadhead. Maybe a larger leadhead if there is wind or current. Then, if it's stained a bit, I use chartreuse or a tri-color jig of chartreuse, yellow, and darker green. Will also use chartreuse and black. I start out with tandem jigs, one pearl and the other chartreuse and go from there. I also like the burgundy color grub, along with other colors such as black, white, yellow, or pink.

10. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Clear water, i like white, darker waters dark jigs, black or red, in cold water 40 or less pink and white are hard to beat

11. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for the useful post

12. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I have been hearing about a tube color called Halloween, but can't seem to find it. Does anyone have a pic, link, or description of this color?

13. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    wont let me post website

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i googled halloween color crappie jigs

15. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks. I followed your guide line and google. Went to Southern Pro Hot grubs and found out it is a grub in the color of pink head and body with a black tail. Interesting.

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    after buying and trying nearly every jig type and color for the past ten years i have settled on 3 colors that i use 99% of the time. nearly all my fishing is done in light to medium stained water. i use bass assassin lures "panfish assassins" 1 1/2" tiny shad in "pumkin seed shad", and "crystal shad" colors. for darker stained to light muddy water i use hot pink tubes. a 1/16 oz non painted jighead on 12lb mono and that covers about all my fishing situations.

17. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Billy it sounds like you have got it simplified. I fish several different waters and have to experiment with many colors. I may be over doing it. I always try to find a pattern in a pattern. This includes colors as well as locations.

18. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I mostly use chartreuse or white in stained water.
    Or green with gold specks.

19. MoHunt

MoHunt Member

State:
    Missouri
    I fish a 1/16th oz road runner, or stump jumper (Bass Pro's version of the same thing) with a red head (not orange) with a white maribu body 99% of the time. Gotta have it bump the bottom or just tick the brush. Crappie love it along with largemouth, whites, hybrids and an occassional flathead, channel and walleye.

I've tried other colors and weights, but always come back to the ole standby. The orange head is plentiful, but the true red is hard to find. I've even been known to paint orange heads with fingernail polish.

And always on 6 lb line.

20. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    Here the color that works about all the time is pearl or pearl with silver glitter head. I make most all of my rubber jigs so I can play around with different colors. One of my favorite for winter is black tail with brown head. When it is in the water the brown head has a red halo around it.