Colors of Channel catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by RebelMan, Apr 29, 2007.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

I got a question for you guys about the color of channels. Where I live i catch alot of channels that are greenish/yellow and some blue. Why are they different colors? Male and Female? Help Me out :cool2::0a21: Thanks-Rebelman

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I was told by a park ranger that sometimes different catfish species will cross breed and produce hybrid cats and thats why some channels will be different colors.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    when they are little they will be blue on the back silver grey on sides with small black spots on side.as they get biggeh they get more green on back with silver to white on bottom.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was catching a bunch of small channels last week, and many of them were bright yellowish gold. Typically in the waters that I fish, the little ones are silver. these ones were the color of a yellow bullhead. Never seen this before, but they were pretty fish. Caught several large females that were bronze on the sides, and green on top, and males that are dark blue, or slate grey. Gaught a channel yesterday that was the same color as the blues that I caught, light blue and white. Water temp., age, habitat, and genetics I guess all play a role. Cool fish.

5. The_Mad_Catter

The_Mad_Catter New Member

State:
    Erie, Colorado
    In colorado the big females have a healthy yellow tint like in my avatar pic, The males are dark grey like in my profile pic

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am not sure why channels dont have the same color.

7. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just like with any animal species, the color can vary. Flatheads are another great example. They range from white, light yellow, dark yellow, brown, gray, to almost black. Some are solid while other are molted.

Things that can effect the color are, genetics, food source, pollution, stress, temperture.

The local Cabelas in Fort Worth has 3 flatheads that are between 40-60 pounds I think. All three are different colors.

Another great example, one that is very pronounced is leopard geckos. Go to something like www.leopardgecko.com and check out the 100's of different varieties and color patterns that have been selectively breed.

8. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I believe it has to do witht he water they are in too. I've fished clearer spots in different areas of different rivers and they changed. ones in red where I fish are blue green when small and the dark grey and stuff .

other spots produced brownish blue ones..

9. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have caught fish in many different rivers and most of the time they are different colors, I think it has a lot to do with what they eat, pollutants, river color, and genetics. I have a couple of fish in my aquarium that were from the river and they changed color a little bit when I put them in there.

10. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Most of the ones we catch on Lake Lewisville have the yellowish tint to them. We caught a few last weekend that looked just like a blue, but had spots and some with a greenish color as well. We caught some fish tha came out of the rip rap crevices that were really dark. By the time we got them out of the livewell, they lightened up and you couldn't tell the difference. I really like it when they turn light golden brown just after they begin to float.

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bobby hows Lewisville looking right now? I live about 45 minutes south of Lewisville. Last time we were up there, a few months back it was still 6 foot down. How are the cats doing there? They havnt been so good in Lake Grapevine. Fished 3 days since the heavy rains came in and only caught 3 cats.

12. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Jared,
    I sent you a PM. Don't want to hijack a thread.

13. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i read the spawning male channels will take on a blue color... all the channels i am catching right now are golden brown with a flaky crust. i am finding them with fries or tater tots too this time of year:lol: .
    seriously though they can take on a wide variety of colors. my wife caught one at a dam that was solid black, but definitely a channel.

14. king fisher

king fisher New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Where i live the catfish are certain color because the water color.