Colorless,tasteless orderless,edible oil for hooks.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by peewee williams, Mar 3, 2008.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Colorless,tasteless,orderless edible oil to keep hooks from rusting.Also good for metal food prep items such as knives and grinders.The product?The cheapest Mineral Oil or Petroleum Jelly you can find at any drug store.Now it works best with your hooks kept in a container so nothing else gets oily.Some old things still work well today.I wish I was one.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for a great idea. Reps to you.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
  4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Or you just buy high quality hooks.

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    peewee thanks for the info. Is that water soluable?

6. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    do not think its water soluable. I like to use flour on the hooks

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Nope!

8. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Alfred, we used to keep scalpels, needles and injecting needles in an old Vaseline jar filled with heavy mineral oil on the farm. Never rusted, came out like new.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Well first,it is nice to be a well heeled fisherman as we now know you are.I know as I have been well heeled and poor heeled.

I bought the high quality tinned and Stainless hooks for years when I could afford them.Then I found out that not only did they not RUST OUT in a fish,they can lay around for thousands of years just waiting to foul hook something.

I have many thousand out there in the Streams,Creeks,Rivers,Lakes,Bays,Oceans and Seas that I have left in a lifetime of fishing.I never thought or realized that it could be irresponsible.I now believe it is.I wish I had learned it 55 years ago.

The same goes for BRAID in lines in my belief if it is 1/2 as durable as they say it is!

The two ARE NOT environmentally friendly if left in the water in any manner.

I have heard that braid is far worse than mono on outboard motor lower units.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    So did my grandfather and me later on.Everyone also oiled and greased their fishing reels with mineral oil and vaseline.

I also bet you have greased your arm to your armpit with Vaseline a time or few to save a horse as I have!

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    No matter the amount of grease on your arm those horses can break your wrist or forearm in a second.

Alfred, what to you think of cosmoline for greased bearings. Haven't seen that posted here or missed it. John.

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If your storing them for awhile wax works good.Just dip them in hot wax and it protects them from rusting until your ready to use them.

13. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yep.The average pet owner has no idea how dangerous a vets job can be and is.They seldom have animals

My father was in the Army Engineers building the ALCAN highway until he got his lungs frostbitten in WW2.He said they used it on 5th wheels,large,slow friction bearings,exposed sliding surfaces of wood and metal in warmer weather simply because they ended up with a lot of it though everything else was often in short supply or they were completely out.Even burned it for heat.Apparently someone back in the states decided they were secretly going to be preserving millions of rifles while they built the highway and made sure they had enough cosmoline to do so.He said it came in drums with nothing but "COSMOLINE" stenciled on it and they had no Idea of how,where or when as there also was no paperwork he was told.They figured some top secret firearm preservation unit waited in vain for their Cosmoline to jungle proof weapons for the south Pacific and sent out rusty guns instead.

I would think it would be a little stiff for small high speed bearings and it is not rated for it's lubricating qualities.I have never used it for such.

I like to rube in well,just a little bit of fifth wheel grease on my long term storage & Harsh Conditions" guns and then rub in a marine grease 24-72 hours later.I believe this seals the metal.They seem to hold up better in storage,rain,mud and saltwater where I litterly hose my guns off with fresh water.Also they were sometimes exposed for a week at the time to fresh and salt spray when sleeping in boat and coastal islands.They and also I stayed damp for days at the time.Now my stocks were sealed with wax or tung oil.I like "Lucas" 5th.Wheel and Slider Lube.Any good marine grease over it.Turtle waxes for the varnished and the synthetic stocks.Tung Oil for the oiled wood stocks.Thompson's Water Seal soakings for slings and leather boots.(Dry well for 2 weeks before wearing)With everything sealed,the weather has no affect on your point of impact either.The bores were wiped before firing and re greased afterward.I never reloaded the shells I used in these guns like this as the brass will stretch in a oily chamber.

14. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Paraffin wax is great but unless you clean all of the oil off of and out of your metal,it will not stick as well and will sometimes flake off if it gets cold and bumped.At least mine did.I want to try mixing it with colman fuel(naphtha).I believe it will dissolve in it and the naphtha will evaporate and leave the wax.I do this regularly with naphtha and grease and dip,soak or spray on metal.It gets everywhere and the naphtha evaporates and leaves a well lubed and sealed object.Now if the metal is hot,it will mix and stick better with just wax alone as it is a petroleum product too.

I love you Brothers And Sisters.peewee