Colored Minnows

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by SNAGGED, Dec 14, 2006.

1. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Will minnows turn colors if you would dump food coloring with them? Has any one tried this? Which color works best. Thanks

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I don't know for sure, however a local bait store round here uses some sort of additive to their tanks that turns the water blue and the minnows seem to take on a blue tint.
    Some folks around here are of the opinion that the blue tint makes them inferior to wild caught.

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    In most cases the more natural a bait is the better it will work.
    As for dying minnows, give it a shot and let us know how it works. I would try red or yellow and maybe green.

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    The blue additive that they use is suppose to suppress the ammonia levels, as well as a few other things to keep them alive/lively.

As you said, it is of opinion that they are inferior. IMHO the reason why domestic VS wild is inferior is because they were farmed raised & never had to fear predators, thus not making them a nervous as a wild one, which because of prey drive initiates more strikes:roll_eyes:

5. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Just to add when I bought minnows with the blue tint in the water they lasted far longer than the ones that werent. Nice to have minnows 3 hrs into fishing without them floating on top of the water.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
  7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "The blue additive that they use.."

I'll buy that for a dollar! Though I have not really noticed a big difference myself.
    Thanks for the info, I never got around to asking. I am generally trying to get out of there and to the water as fast as I can. The folks there are friendly and will talk your leg off if you let them.

I'll also second Snagged's comment. They do seem to last longer with the additive.

As for the marker, I think I may now have seen everything! LOL!
    I may have to get one just to make my fishin buddies laugh!

Come to think of it, it does make a certain amount of sense. I often have noticed that crappie will want different color jigs on different days or even hour to hour sometimes. Same spots, same conditions, go figure.

Wonder how it sticks to the slime?

8. channel 27

channel 27 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i think i'll stick with good ol fashion minnows and maybe just change my shirt