colorado river

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by SSgt Fishslayer, Jan 14, 2009.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    anyone having any luck out of the colorado right now? or should i try and hit up the canals? i am down here in yuma and want to head out in the next week or so and was wondering where i should be targeting. thanks for any help.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Good to see ya back Joey.... got to talk to Mr. tofish to get the local stuff.... I thought I'd come down that way this weekend.. but going to stay local and hit the ocean... going to be on the canal for superbowl weekend.... at glamis, and then feb... 16--20 i'm off and comming down that way... maybe we can hook up...

bayrunner ray

3. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Depending on what part of the river your talking about. North of the 10 Fwy the water level is very low, I mean low! almost can walk across the darn thing. South of 10 fwy closer to Az the water is low but very fish able. Most canals are empty except the main feeder canals. Weather has been cool at night and warm during the day. The wind has been an issue the last couple of weeks. It was really blowing. I don't know if your fishing from boat or shore. I gave up on fishing due to low water and cold weather. In a few more months I'll be back in business.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i went out yesterday above imperial dam for a few hrs. still no bites. tried all my old faithful spots, but lockjaw is still working against me.
    gary

5. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Flatheads might be slow but the channel cats are full speed on shrimp along the aa canal.Was out there over the weekend and caught several to 10lbs.During the day no less.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Woodchucker... Thanks for the post on the canal.... where were you fishing on the canal....

Thanks, bayrunner Ray

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Think I'll be headed out this weekend to check things out, all the canals should be full and the water has been up to enough to get the boat out by the looks of the flow charts http://www.usbr.gov/lc/region/g4000/hourly/yester.html , may try some canal fish n, em shrimp my ol favorite:wink: think I got about 4lb's of it here in the freezer:big_smile::006:

8. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Hey Ray,
    I was actually fishing along drops 3 and 4 along hwy 98 .About 35-40 miles west of yuma.
    Heres one of the larger fish I caught that day,maybe not quite 10.I dident put it on the scale.So Ill say 7-8lbs.It was thick and fat.Ripped me up on the 10lb setup.

[​IMG]

9. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Thats a good looking cat you got there Woodchucker. I never fished that far south. Sounds like I should plan a trip some time.

10. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the info gents. might head out there this weekend and see what i can come up with as far as the canals go. i will let you know how it goes.

11. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    Nice goin woodchucker. I like using shrimp in currents. Tight lines.

:cool2: