Colorado River channel - Educated flathead catfish?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA RIVERS TALK' started by tofish, Jun 11, 2007.

1. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've been fishing the same spot in channel just off colorado river by yuma for a few weeks now. keep hooking into big, heavy cat using 5-8" gills. but, keep getting wrapped and stuck in something on bottem of channel and breaking off. (can't see anything with depth finder). so, last night, moved up current about 40-50 yds and set up. sure enough, another run. picked up pole to let load up (i use circle hooks) and sure enough, there is that snag again. this darn fish seems to have learned how to eat and get away. i'm up to 40lb braided line, down to size 2 circle hook, and weight is on with only 8lb line so will break off. it still wraps the line up, i guess.
    any thoughts on this? i really want to catch this fish and at least get my 4 hooks back. :angry:
    gary

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would reccomend changing to a 10/0 king kahle hook on a slip sinker rig. Set the hook when he loads the pole. Something a little different might cause him to make a mistake or react different. Good luck

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    strap on your scuba gear and go down and get em. hes to smart to get him with a rod and reel so just go grab him, carry him up to your boat, change into dry clothes and take pictures. thats why they call it lieing, i mean, fishing.

4. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i used bigger hook before, and normally use slip sinkers. thinking of either treble hook next time, or stinger hook held to tell with rubber band maybe. i'm not giving up on this fish. every night between 8-9 it hits. might try smaller gill also and stop on shorter run.
    gary

5. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    gary i feel if you really want to land him and he doesnt seem shy at all, I would upgrade you gear for that one trophy. Try it one night and see, use atleast 80 lb braid, trebile or kahle hook and once he runs set the meat to him and pull him away from the structure. We do it all the time in san diego reef and wreck fishing. You have to give it to him hard and fast and dont let up. I mean you have obviouly tried all conventinal methods, so If it were me I would treat this as a fish I HAD TO CONQURE!!! Load up and get his A$$!!!:big_smile:

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i agree with get hooked, upgrade your tackle, so he cant get you wrapped up. cant wait to see the pics of this new az state record!

7. micah

micah New Member

State:
    Gilbert, Arizon
    I agree with the last 2. Iwouldn't waste any time. I'd go get yoursely some 100 # or even 150 # braided and go get that turtle. Or you could give me the coordinates of that hole and I'll go get him.

Micah

8. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Yes, Go to a treble and tight line it.

9. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    alright, will go with the senior knowledge. i have a heavier reel with about 90 lb braid on it. will go out and pick up larger hooks tomorrow. not sure when i can get back out there, but will be soon.
    gary

10. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I think you have everyone excited for you to dominate this fish!!!

Shall we place odds on this fish, and how many trips it will take?

ANd how big it will weigh? OH I cant wait for the post!!:crazy:

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've only shown two people where this spot is, and one lives in ca and only has my boat to get out there. other doesn't have poles for it and promised not to fish it or tell anyone. i've got a few weeks until i have to go to idaho for a month or so, so i've got a few days to try again. like i said, i'll upgrade on one pole, and treble on another. just hope it sticks around there for awhile. :crazy:
    gary

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Gary, up grade the gear and go get the beast.... keep us posted...

bayrunner ray

13. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    put me down for 2 trips and 46lbs .... lol

14. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    I have faith---FIRST trip and 49lbs!!

15. Kevin N

Kevin N Member

State:
    Georga
    Name:
    Kevin
    I have been bank fishing and found a few have bitten and taken bait only to lay on bottem in rocks i tryed setting pole down loosen drag some and waight it worked on two of the 13 i caught at canyon lake last week when they move again they will come out of the rocks and can fight them had to waight 20 min for one to move..!!! they seam to be getting smarter

good luck 3 trips 55lbs for me

16. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    Maybe try moving downstream a bit? Are you sure your gill isnt getting wraped up a little before the bite,and then your setting the hook into the snag? I found with big cats if you get there head moving upwards right off the bat,it keeps them moving rather than lodging down deep.I know its not always easy to move a big flathead,but with a short stout rod,it can be done!!Good luck!

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    if i move downstream, i'm out of the hole then. as for the bait tangling up first, only time i get snagged there is after the fish starts the run. it heads right for something. it's not gonna have any line to run with this time. i'm hoping to go out again tonight. maybe this trip?
    gary

18. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    If you go tonight, IT WILL BE THIS TRIP!!!!!!! I HAVE FAITH BROTHER, set the meat to him and just bring him home. You have fought him the conventional way and nothing---so just MANHANDLE him and see what happens. Show that pig who is boss!!! Best of luck I will be thinking of you tonight, with happy thoughts and prayers!!!

19. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    stuck it out tonight until 11:00. only one tiny bite. took maybe one foot of line. finally pulled in and found marks on gill about 2 inches up from tail. figure big one didn't want to play or something. first time it hasn't. hmmmm? gonna try again tomorrow or friday night. i'm not giving up.
    gary

20. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    DAMN, thought last night was the night. Keep us posted this is now a local soap opera of if you get it or not!! Good luck