Colorado river 9/26-9/28/08

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by plumbertom1, Sep 29, 2008.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    I got to Rays house around 5pm on Thursday evening ands we finished up a few minor details before getting on the road about 7:00
    The drive across L.A. and out to the desert was clear sailing with only a couple of minor brake checks.
    We crossed the Salton Sink on the west side of the Sea taking the better highway 86 from Indio to Brawley and on to I-8 where we stopped at Van Der Linden Road and pulled up on the canal bank for the night, thinking we might fish, but we were both to tired to put out a line as it was after midnight, so we just hit the rack for the night.
    In the morning we had to back track a few miles to Holtville and add a few gallons of fuel to Rays camper to be sure and make Yuma.
    When in Yuma we made a gas stop to fill the camper and the boat, then on to Mr. G"s for breakfast burritos (not as good as they should have been), then on to Albertsons for consumables.
    Finally Squaw Lake and we put the Boat on the water. While Ray readied the boat I made us some sandwiches while hiding from the heat in the camper with the A/C running.
    The combination of 100+ degree heat and very high humidity made it very oppressive to be out in.
    Then we went on the hunt for bait. We motored into Little Senators Wash from Squaw via a side channel and went to drop shotting crawler pieces along a rock wall. That produced a good number of Green sunfish and Bluegills in a size range from too small to almost too large and every size you could want in between.
    With a good tank full of bait we returned to our camp and ray started up the BBQ where he fired some pork strips while I steamed some broccoli and baby bok choy to go with it, while still hiding in the camper.
    After dinner, as the Sun went down, we headed out onto the river for the nights fishing.
    We set up at the upper opening to Little Senators wash and put out our bait. After about an hours wait I got a run on my hand sized sunfish and closed the bail allowing the fish to load my ten foot Kat King rod. The 10/0 circle hook did it's job and I had a fish on my 40 lb P-line.
    It only took a few minutes to bring in the cat and Ray netted it cleanly.
    I thought it was a flat head because it ate a good sized bait but on inspection it turned out to be a nice channel about 8 lbs. IMG_0001.JPG
    I re-baited and put out my offering again and less than an hour later I got another run, this time it was a small flat about 5 lbs. (no photo)
    We gave the spot a little while longer with no action so we moved down river to the opening to Squaw lake where we didn't get any interest for over an hour or two then called it a night about 2 AM.
    In the morning, after a fitful night trying to sleep in the heat, we started up the generator and turned on the A/C so we could sleep in for a bit.
    Breakfast was diced leftover bratwurst and pork strips scrambled with salsa and cheese burritos. Then I cleaned the fish and went back in the Camper to nap for a while longer.
    Around 2:30 we went back out to get more bait and hit up the same backwater as before although we did better this time in the back of a few overgrown coves.
    When we had a good supply of bait we went back to camp and Ray heated up the charcoals again while I prepared the T-bones. As Ray grilled the steaks and Mexican onions, I stayed inside under the A/C and steamed some Yellow squash to go with them.
    We chowed down like kings and then hit the river again.
    This time we fished in the California Channel at a couple of places with nothing happening untill we hit a hole we had been told about. Almost as soon as I got my rig settled I got a run that I missed and ended up hung on something. Broke off and retied.
    A short while later I got another run which I also missed and got hung up again. This time I retrieved a snag that weighed about 15 Lbs but decided that release was the best thing, so I let it go back into the water.
    Third run for this spot I hooked up solidly but broke off in the middle of my leader. When I inspected the leader and the line above it, I discovered it was frayed badly as if it had been dragged across either a rock or a sharp edge of some type.
    During all this Ray never got a run but when he tried to retrieve his line he found himself hung solidly. We gave it up in that spot and moved down channel to a couple more places with no further bites for the rest of the night. about 5 AM we headed in and rested as best we could untill we could start the A/c again.
    We upped camp around noon and went home.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Some of the bait that we caught looked like crappie or white bass with its side markings.... had a blue gill mark, but then a red patch by the blue spot..... the mouth was not like a crappie.... small at that, may have been some kind of hybrid.... "green sunfish" I don't know..... Last year we got some rather orange bellied blue gill.... got some radical looking bait down here..... Have to try the same spots, but use a different angle to the hole, as "Tofish" has expressed that their may be a car body or something in the hole..... he looses his rigs there to...... the general depth is 6-8 feet in this channel, with some shallow areas to go around or get stuck, but the main hole is to 18 feet ..... years ago i'd dive down to look at it... but I dont like doing that stuff now that I know better... might get stuck myself......

Bayrunner Ray

3. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Hey fellas,
    Yep...last time I got food from Mr G's I noticed a bit of difference in the food too....Last time I was out on the river, we got into some really big gills too. We thought them to be too big for bait but decided to keep them for cut bait if need be. We ended up using them live and I ended up with my pb for the year (so far)...amazing what a flattie will inhale with that big mouth!

Right now I am on the second week of the fall WTI class here at the base so I dont have much free time for anything other then sleep. I plan to get out this weekend though. maybe Saturday night/Sunday morning if I get Sunday off.

Sounds like you guys had a great time. Im going to try to get a cabin at Martinez Lake and fish from there....

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Thanks Tom for another great report. just like I was there:wink: Very nice report indeed.

5. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    That's a Real nice channel Tom wish you guys had gotten a nice flatty out there, maybe next time..good hunting

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a good time on the water, even if it had some frustrations, congrats and good luck with future trips

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "Very good report Tom"
    (As always)
    You two sure know how to do it "Good Food" & "Kicking Back".
    :wink:LoL:happy:

But It also sounds like that time of the year when the Bluegills go on the bite. I know that up this way they start biting about this time of the year & I know that you could get into a nice school of them about this time of the year.
    ("Nice One too"):wink:
    :0a23:

8. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the post Bert.... next time I'm down to Yuma, I'm going to take some pics of the varieties of "sun perch" that they have down here... some real wierd looking marking on some of them..... Might be down there next weekend.. (week after this one comming)

Bayrunner Ray

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I caught one a few months ago that was weird lookin. I want you to know that you guys eat far too good when you fish and I am disapointed that you didn't get lines out at that first stop. However..... I sure wish I could some to that special channel with you to fish it with some light lines and figure out what is needed. Glad you had fun and make sure you call me or message me if your coming this way...!

10. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    If you need company I would like to tag along.....

11. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Thanks for the detailed report, sounded like a alot of fun!

12. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Is that a peacock bass in your picture? And where did you catch that? I've seen fish like that on TV fished out of the Amazon. Beautiful fish.

Sean!

13. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Nice job illustrating your adventure. I like the way you put me right there with you. I know you didn't get what you were lookin for, but that was a nice lookin channel. Keep us posted on your future trips. Looking forward to meeting you guys in November. Take it easy.

Sean!

14. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    nice report

15. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    good report, so what was it

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    It sure is a Peacock bass. Wonder where it was caught? Nice bass azcataholic:wink:

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    bet he caught it in that mountain stream back behind his house. :haha:
    sure is pretty though.
    gary