Colorado River 5/9-5/10

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by plumbertom1, May 12, 2008.

1. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Started out from Ray's house at the beach around 1:00 pm on Thursday thinking we would get to Blythe around 6 that afternoon. Traffic wasn't too bad heading out and soon we cleared the Basin and were heading across the desert.
    When we were approaching Desert Center Ray got a wild hair ticking hm and took a notion that a night fishing Havasu at his favorite campground Black Meadows Landing would be a good stop. So we turned north on Rice road. About 10 miles north of the I-10 we were cruising along when Blam! thump, thump, thump, Ray's RV blew the rear left inside tire. He moved onto the shoulder and we had the fun of changing a tire on the side of the road in 90 degree heat. But we got it done, put every thing away and headed into Parker Az. where We stopped to fill the boat fuel tank and our bellies.
    We headed back over the river for the trek up the California side to the camp when we hit a road block. Traffic was backed up about 1/2 mile and people walking back from the closure informed us that there was a chlorine spill up the road.
    Rather than wait an unknown time for Hazmat to do their thing we turned around and headed south on Ca. 95 to Blythe where we stopped for the night at about 11:30 pm next to some hay bale stacks.
    Just after sunrise we headed into Blythe proper to find a replacement for the Blown tire (got to have a spare driving around on desert highways) and located a open tire store on Hobson Way.
    While Ray took care of the tire I spent the time making up some steak fajitas and huevos rancheros for breakfast.
    Once that was out of the way we drove south on Intake Blvd to McIntyre park on the river paid for overnight and launch. But they didn't have river stamps at the little store and it had slipped my mind when we were in town getting a tire so we went back to north of town to B&B bait so we could get gold fish in addition to my needed stamp. B&B Had the stamp but their bait truck was running late and wouldn't be there until 1:00 pm so we ran up to a spot that has been productive in the past for tilapia to give it a shot. For some reason the fish weren't there so we headed back to the park and put the boat on the water.
    We ran up river to the Oxbow on the Az side and fished along it for some sunfish. Didn't catch any until we got to the end by the pumps where we caught 3 fair sized Green sunfish and Ray caught a 4pound channel cat on a 1/2 inch long piece of crawler while fishing for bait. He was challenged by that cat because he was only using 4 lb line but he got it to the boat where I netted it. About his time we both realized we had left our cameras in the RV.
    We worked our way back down the oxbow fishing at any likely looking spot and picked up a couple of more sunfish to go in the bait tank, along the way I caught several undersized large mouth.
    We turned back down river to the launch point and while I went in to make us some carnitas tacos and beans, Ray went up the oxbow next to the launch ramp and found 3 more sunfish for bait.
    After dinner we went back up the rive to try some spots that we had seen during our first run up. The river was Up and flowing with a heavy current. We fished first one spot then another. At our second stop I caught a Striped Bass about 5 lbs or so and missed another when the fish ran up river past the boat. I thought I had him hooked when I felt the fish slide out of his mouth and the line went slack. When I pulled it in I saw that the circle hook had gotten turned so that the point was buried in the bait.
    Never had that happen before. Oh well, we fished a while longer there with no action so we moved to some other unproductive spots and fished until morning then went in to camp for a rest.
    About 9 am we got up and while Ray made the boat road ready I made us some chorizo and eggs with refries for breakfast. We loaded the boat and headed up the road to Mayflower Park for another nights camp and launch.
    On the way we stopped at B&B for some medium sized goldfish in case we didn't find any more sunfish. We launched and ran up the river fishing for bait at any spot that looked likely. We went up to the dam and fish in the drainage that runs off the CRIT reservation into the river but found no willing biters, so it was a good thing we got the goldfish.
    We went back to camp and Ray fired up the grill and cooked up some bratwurst and a couple of rib eyes for dinner, then we went inside for a nap.
    About sundown we went relaunched the boat and headed out for another nights attempt to catch a flathead. The river was high and flowing fast.
    We anchored at several places during the night But between the current and the grass catching on our lines fishing was difficult. about 2 am we gave it up and headed in to camp.
    In the morning while Ray packed away the boat I cooked up a breakfast of carnitas, eggs and refried beans, then after eating we got on the highway headed home.
    We didn't get to the drainage ditches in the Palo Verde area as we had originally planned so those will have to wait 'til the next trip.

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I just wanted to say how much fun it was driving all the way down to Blythe with Plumbertom.....:wink:

It was worth it... time and gas money... and the injured stomach that resulted from the hot food.... :0a30:got to sleep in.... some... not sure when we did it....

:001:.......maybe mostly in the boat.... Tom said he could hear my snoring even with his hearing aid out, or turned off.....or in Toms case, he can even tune out....

Kind of Pisses me off when his reel goes off:angry:....... buzzing and all that big run noise, :smile2:.......and I have to shake him up so that he can farm a fish, as he did one time when the fish took off upriver in 6mph water, and switched ends on the boat...... Maybe another striper

.....but he did catch the first stirper that was doing aerials while having to undertake the stress of Toms big rod... and 50lb line pulling it up some 50 yards down the river with some fresh salad attached....LOL:smile2:

Got my personal best channel this weekend..... no biggie, but the reel was my "gill rod" one that a buddy gave me.... (the drag is a piece of shit) so I(ll have to re shim it to make it work...... but the fish was running into log jams, and then back into xmas trees and all kinds of shit, and me using my bluegill 4 lb line and a #6 bait hook...... finally got it to the boat... and netted 5 lbs of fat female channel which was released ...... dead... after it fried in the dry live well

Bait at Blythe is scarce.....did not see any cormorants on the river at all........ got some good "goldies" from B/B.... but the gills we got out of the area out of McIntyre landing were awsome....Had to finesse them by drop shotting to get em..... 1/4 lb line with split shot off the bottom and "flip" a piece of worm into the tules or floating junk pile.....work the line with the free hand and feel and drag the bottom.....

Tom "speared serveral twigs" and had to retie some.....

.....but I'd just run the boat and place him into the piles we were checking out.....that way I could stay seated..... and place the boat....:cool2:

Sorry no pics..... but more to come as I'm thinking of gong down next weekend......

"Squaw Lake".... before the MM day weekend....Got any gas money Tom????

Might be better to clean the boat once like next weekend and skip the proces for this weekend.....:smile2:

PS..... dove hunting looks awsome..... is it season yet....

bayrunner ray

3. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Ray & Tom,

It sounds to me like you guys had an adventure, but good time while doing so.
    :wink:

"Nice stories fellows & I can't wait to be a part of that story this coming June in Blythe.
    :0a23:

Take it easy guys,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

4. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    PS..... dove hunting looks awsome..... is it season yet....

bayrunner ray

Ray,
    If memory serves dove season opens on memorial day weekend, least it has in the past. We get tons of hunters here in the Yuma area at that time that come down to do a lil huntin and fishin.

:cool2:

5. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Dove season opens Sept. 1 every year, no matter what day of the week it falls on.

6. doublehaul

doublehaul New Member

State:
    Wyoming
    What's the biggest CO river flathead you've ever landed?

7. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Many years ago while living in Yuma Az. I was fishing the river just outside of Clear Lake up river from Martinez and boated a 45lb flat.

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    good going rick from ohio

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I live in Blythe... Had a great night last night! 4 flathead and 3 channels.. largest flat was 10 pds and largest channel was 7. Nothing big but it kept us busy as we caught all but 1 within the first half hour of being there. If your making another trip maybe I can pre catch some bait..... send me a pm and we'll see what we can do. I've been having a hard time with the bluegill also there on there spawn beds and hard to find. There in odd places but I "have' found them. btw THAT'S ONE DAMN FIND SOUNDING MENU!

10. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    chris, gonna get with us all at mayflower this 6-7 of june? check the gathering section if you haven't read about it.
    gary

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'll check that out... I have no boat but I do have gear. Just so everyone knows I didn't do to bad tonight ... I got one 5 lb and one 20 lb. I'm pretty happy. I can say this ... last year it seemed I always caught a decent flat then caught another smaller one. This year I catch a small flat then they get bigger .. I can't wait to have a chance for an all nighter to see how big they get!

12. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Hey I looked at the calender .. call it a date! I'll be there you have any hours or phone numbers?

13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Chris,

Here you go: :wink:

When -- June 6th, 7th and 8th 2008

Location-- Mayflower Camp Grounds
    4980 colorado river road
    Blythe, California
    Phone # (760) 922-4665
    Camp Info-- Rv sites w/electricity $18.00 per night
    Tent sites w/water $16.00 per night, rate is for 6 people
    and 2 vehicles.
    Showers-- Boat ramp, no dock.
    How to get there-- I-10 exit at Intake Blvd ( HWY 95) north 3.5 miles to
    6th Avenue turn East ,go 2.5 miles, the road will make a
    natural curve to the left, drive 1/2 mile and the road ends
    at mayflower camp grounds.
    For those who are not into camping, there are a number of motels W/ac in town, about 6 to 7 miles from the camp ground.
    :0a26:
    SEE YOU THERE.

:0a23::0a22::0a20::0a17:

Take It Easy,
    Bert (Shania)

14. plumbertom1

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Chris, Bert and I plan to be in your area on the afternoon of the third and will most likely spend the first couple of days in the P.V. area before moving into a camp spot at Mayflower.
    Check your PM for my cell number.

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sounds good I'll give you a call later.