colorado releasing water in the arkansas

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by bigcathunter, Sep 21, 2005.

1. bigcathunter

bigcathunter New Member

State:
    great bend,kansas
    someone told me the other day colorado released water into the arkansas river,a friend of mine watched it rise a few inces in a matter of minutes,he was riding his 4 wheeler on the river on the trails said the trails were covered up by a couple of inches of water,doe anyone know if this is true and how much water they are releasing and how often they will be releasing it,thanks

2. jrw

jrw New Member

i havent heard anything, but that would sure b great!!!!!!!! :D

3. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I just returned from Colorado last night. While there I was reading an article on the Arkansas River and the great trout fishing it was producing. They were releasing plenty of water to provide good fishing for several miles of this great river. The pictures reminded me of a smaller version of Keystone or Kaw, with nice current and great fishing. (although trout and Arkansas River don't seem quite right). The problem with the flowrate for this river is that by the time it reaches Great Bend it has been sucked dry by all the farmers in Eastern Colorado and Western Kansas. The recent legal decisions provided for a determined amount of water to flow into our state. This has been delivered on, even though Colorado isn't happy about it. But since Kansas politicians pretty much give farmer's free reign to take the hog's share of all the water in the state the rest of us taxpayers are just ---- out of luck.

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Where exacty do they release water from in Colorado? I thought the Arkansas river was pretty much a free flowing river from the Colorado mountains through Kansas into Oklahoma.

5. bigcathunter

bigcathunter New Member

State:
    great bend,kansas
    yeah the water is back down now,really sucks,used to be 3 times as full about 15 years ago,they should change it to arkansas stream,lol

6. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    The Arkansas River comes from underground at a site about 12 miles northeast of Leadville near a town called Climax. At its point of origin, you can step across it without effort.
    The Arkansas is fed from spring snowmelt from the many mountains that surround it. The highest peaks in Colorado are within 30 miles or so of it.
    Leadville is over 10,000 feet above sea level and it's downstream from the starting point. The state of Colorado doesn't "release" water into the Arkansas, it just runs in from many tributaries and streams formed from the runoff.
    I remember as a young boy fishing there with my dad in the many ponds formed by the beavers building their dams and houses and catching rainbow trout in abundance. I hope to return there someday to see the pristine conditions again!

Here is a link with information about what is being done at the headwaters area to improve water quality there:
    http://www.epa.gov/owow/info/NewsNotes/issue09/nne9.htm

7. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Mike, I can't recall what the name of the dam was that I saw pictures of in the Colorado paper, but they said it was on the Arkansas River. For 15-20 years Kansas has been involved in a lawsuit against Colorado to force them to allow more water from the river to flow into our state. Both sides have greed and political interests at heart and not the welfare of the river. The greedy farmers in Eastern CO want all the water for themselves and the greedy farmers in Western KS are trying to force them to release enough for them to use too. Kansas finally won the suit not too long ago and the government ruled that CO has to allow a certain amount of water to flow into KS. I don't know what the figure is and it doesn't really matter. Long before the river reaches central KS our greedy farmers have sucked it dry. The majority of water that flows into Kaw Lake from our state comes from the last 100 miles of the Arkansas River. From Great Bend south we have many nice sized rivers running into the Arkansas. The Ninnescah, Walnut, and Grouse Creek are just a few that come to mind quickly. From Great Bend to Oklahoma the Arkansas drains thousands of square miles of some of the best farm and prairie land in the country. I'd have sure liked to have seen it before plows were put to the prairie. I'll bet there was good flathead fishing all the way to Colorado.