Colorado Bend State Park

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by CatfishBevo, Apr 12, 2008.

1. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Have any of you guys fished there?

I am wondering if limb lines work best or trotlines, or jugs?

Where do you get bait?

Best time to catch yellowcats?

Thanks for your help.

CatfishBevo

2. iviecatman

iviecatman New Member

State:
    texas
    I fished the Colorado River up and below the Highway 190 bridge between San Saba and Lometa for the first 35 years of my life. I was there every day that my parents had off and then after I could drive every day that I had available. I never did well on anything but trotlines in the river. I spent most of my time on what is the longest stretch between shoals along that part of the river for miles. You need a depth finder as you will find the biggest fish for the most part in the deepest holes. Areas by big rocks are by far the best although mud banks that are cut out underneath also produce fish as well. It's strange, where I fished most of the fish came on the first 3-5 hooks on the San Saba side of the river, but a few places were better on the Lometa side.
    One hole would produce fish right out in the middle of the river.

Best times to fish: #1 right after a big rise. The river needs to be up at least 15 ft above normal for 3-5 day where I fished to bring in the yellows. I sure that it would not take that long at Colorado Bend, it's on the head waters of the lake.
    #2 Dark of the moon/ signs beginning at the waist down to the feet on your calendar.

We tied bells to the limbs on which we tied our lines and listened from our cots on the river bank. We could take off the fish and rebait when we caught a good one. We used different sizes so we would know which line had the fish.
    I doing this we learned that the bite would come before the moon came up or after it went down. While the moon was up we rarely caught a fish. You would hear the bells ring from time to time as the gar stripped your line. If you go and the moon is up early and will set later in the night rebait your lines and be off the water just before the moon sets to increase your chances.

Favorite bait: Big pumkinseed perch, use an 8/0 254 series Eagle Claw hook.
    Attach your hooks to your stagging with a figure 8 loop to your hooks will turn into the fish. You will foul hook a lot of fish. Many times they are not hungry but are simply trying to run the perch out of their territory.

2nd bait: Seine some red horse minnow and depending upon the size that the river has at that time use 4/0 or 5/0 90 series Eagle Claw hooks. When I was young my dad had me up every two hour all night long to seine bait and run lines. Lots of fun to seine up a snake with just a little flashlight providing little light in those days.

We never tried to use shad. Bluegill are ok bait but do not live long in the warmer months on a hook. Green sunfish are a favorite bait with many people but I do not prefer these perch. Years of cleaning fish and seeing lots of pumpkinseed in the yellows bellies convinced me about this.

3. bd76

bd76 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Me and my brother are going down week after next. we usually stay at barefoot park, because the water is bigger and deeper. We will set a few trot lines baited with perch and goldfish. We will usually put out some drop lines, but not too many that it becomes too much work. we usually do pretty good on yella's up to 20lbs and channels. I ve' heard that if you go down stream from the state park using juglines baited with cut shad you can catch the heck out of the blues.

4. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas
    Where is barefoot park?

Please.

Thanks for all the info!

CatfishBevo

5. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
  6. bd76

bd76 New Member

State:
    Texas
    There are 3 parks at bend. The first one you come to is barefoot, then Sulpher Springs, and last is the state park. We prefer barefoot for catfishing, but the state park is more family friendly as far as the camping goes. either way all three are beautiful and nice to stay at.

7. olyeller

olyeller New Member

State:
    Kingsland, TX
    Bend is a great place to fish in the Spring. You can wade fish with a small jig for white bass; it's addicting. Just tie a stringer on your belt and have a blast. You'll get dunked a time or two stepping in deep holes. A buddy of mine just sticks his hands up and keeps reeling until he comes back up!:big_smile:

iviecatman has the right idea on the catfishing. I'd like to hook up with him sometime there. My wife and I are planning a trip this coming Fall, probably sometime in mid Oct.

I have an electrician friend who regularly fishes the upper end of Buchanan and up into the river. He catches the heck out of blues on minnows and cut bait.

Follow iviecatman's advice. I'd try some crawfish for bait too, just for the fun of it.

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i used to fish that same stretch between lometa and san saba off 190, at the rocky creek ranch. we used live carp, green sunnies, and big bullheads. there was a little rock island out there that was pretty fast flowing, and at the bottom was an awesome hole. it was all rocks and tree roots, and produced everytime we fished it. biggest flattie we ever pulled out of there was 53 pounds, but we got several 30's and 40's. i wish i could still go in there! if you can fish around the boulders try not to walk over them, it seems to run the fish out of there, at least at the stretch i used to fish.

9. CatfishBevo

CatfishBevo New Member

State:
    Texas

bd76
    How did y'all do?
    I wanted to go this next week, but my trailor broke.
    So, I guess I'll have to wait till fall.

C B