colorado bend s.p.

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by slimepig, Aug 19, 2005.

1. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    anyone fished at colorado bend state park lately? Im plannin of goin soon and camping and fishing off the bank there. need reviews and tips please.

2. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    I've never fished the state park, I hear that the yellows are good on Throw Lines, Jugs and TrotLines. Too expensive for me though.

I fish "BareFoot Fish Camp" and do quite well! (I tried tp post pic but it wouldn't work)

"Sulpher Springs Fish Camp" Is a nice place to take a family but the fishing aint that great.

I live in Lampasas so it's only a short drive for me :)

The river flooded last week so there should be new/fresh fish in the river now, They seem to move holes every flood. My last trip was Father's Day and the water was already 84deg and I had a hard time keeping my perch alive.

I probably won't make it back out there until the Spring, Barefoot closes down for Deer Season.

Attached Files:

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    thnx fer the info. where are these fish camps yer talkin bout, and do they have websites?

4. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    I found the fish camps on the web. ill have ta drive over n check em out. where did you catch the fish in the photo? Bank or boat? trotline or pole? also, in yer picture it looks like yall are standin in front of a pretty good lil bank. Im handicapped and walk with a cane, so need to know if it will be too hard fer me to get to that spot.
    Thanks

5. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    I'm at the campsite farthest up river, There are easier access about 100yds downstream. I caught most of those on Trotline and a few on Jugs & throwlines. Almost all Yellows were caught on Live Perch (Which you can usually get at the Bend Store for $5-$6/Dz) and the channels and 2 Yellows were caught on cut shad.

Hope this helps & good luck~!

6. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    Latest Fishing report at the Bend SP, Fishing is excellent, Lots of rain up in the San Angelo area dumped several inches of much needed rain in the watershed and the cooler fresher water has turned the Yellow Cat bite RED HOT!

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    wouldnt it be nice if the park did some improvements? Its a shame that 90% of that great fishing bank they have is unaccessable because of the 8-10 foot weeds and johnson grass. dont have a boat, then you are pretty much outta luck fishin from this park unless you like competing with the water moccassins for what little bank access there is!

8. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    Have you tried BareFoot Fish camp? Thier crew does a pretty good job keeping the camp areas mowed. I not saying anything bad about the S.P. but you may want to give BareFoot fish camp a try...

9. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I talked with a guy in the barber shop last week. He had been fishing at the Pecan Bottom in Barefoot. He caught several yellow cats in the 20 to 30 lb range. This was a few weeks ago probably after the rise from the rain on Pecan Byou. We fished the state park and on down stream in that same time span. We were jug fishing with cut bait and didn't do much good. Normally catch some pretty good Blues. We stayed in the RV park at Barefoot on the 4 th of July. The water was hot we caught three yellow cats that were just barely legal. As noted Barefoot is closed during Deer season fishing should be good after it reopens in January. We fished the lower end of the river above Buchanan yesterday with floating Jug lines set 7 ft. We caugt 21, one 7lb mostly 3 lb Blues one Channel. Several years ago one night a guy was bank fishing right next to the boat ramp in the state park. He fished all night and had a really good stringer of yellow cats. Caught on crawfish.

10. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    Crawfish are slim pickins right now. I've loaded up & headed to Barefoot this weekend. Hoping this sudden cooler weather will make them agressive to get thier body weight up for winter. >< Crossing my fingers.....

11. Shank

Shank New Member

State:
    Killeen, TX
    Well, That was a Flop! 94 baits in the water & came up with 4 yellows, 3 of which I had to measure to make sure they were legal! 2 Bass, 2 undersize yellows, a Gar & a Turtle. Think this area is fished out until the next flood. People have been fishing it hard all year and no floods to bring in new fish.

As you can see from my Avatar, this was the quality of fish we caught.

Trying to plan an expedition far up river through 2 sets of rapids to a hole that may or may not produce some good fish. Keeping my fingers crossed if I can just find a sucker, I mean victim... er.... Partner to go with me!

12. Txboy

Txboy New Member

State:
    Hewitt , TX
    Ive only been to Colorado Bend SP once and that was with my scout troop we did a hiking/fishing trip during the white bass run but i remember going down to the fish cleaning station and seeing some nice catfish . Man i would really love to go back down there one of these days beautiful place to go camp at