Color vs gray

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by bushwack, Feb 24, 2009.

1. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Im looking at the lowrance x135 vs the x515,, same pixels and same power,, but the 515 is color ,,was wondering if the color is actually better,, I know the 515 has a df ducer(which I dont need) but have to step up to it to get the 4000 watts power,, the 510 only has 2400 watts,,, Ive read most of these post and see that DH has a x135 ,,, was wondering what his (or anyone elses) opinion was

2. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for all the help guys,,, I really appreciate it

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston

Jay,
    LOL, Your post is a bit confusing but I can tell you that DH would definitely say you needs the 4KW unit. Be sure you read the specs very carefully. Some units that offer high watts only do so with a specific transducer that sometimes has a very narrow beam for deep water use. Color is nice but not absolutely necessary. The main thing to consider is that with any unit you need to learn it very thoroughly and understand what it is showing you
    ...W

4. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Personally, I would favor the color over the gray. I'd have a hard time going back knowing what i do now about the color. The color will open up more detail over the gray.

Far as the X515, I know some guys locally that use them and they seem pleased with them. Far as comparing them to the X135 Can't help ya there. if you have a chance to step up the power I'd go for it. Just my opinon, though.

Sorry for being late. I never seen the thread before now.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    FWIW...I was just messing around in BassPro the other day, looking at depth finders. It seemed to me that the color machines were generally easier to see. That, of course, was in the store under artificial light...I have no idea how they might compare out on the water.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The color lcd screens are very easy to read in bright sunshine; much easier than grayscale units. They also make it a little easier to separate fish from structure or bottom, although there are occasions when I convert to grayscale or inverted grayscale to separate some targets, such as when larger fish are mixed in with schools of baitfish.

7. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for the replys,, and after further intense research i have found out what Metalman said is true,, the 200khz side of the dual freq transducer that comes with the x515 is only 12 degrees,,, while the single freq 200 khz transducer that comes with (like the x135's) is 20 degrees,, this means (from what iv'e read),, that in 30 ft of water the 12 degree cone will show a circle of about 5 or 6 ft of the bottom while the 20 degree cone will show about a 10 ft circle,,, so i guess ill have to sacrafice color to get the 20 degree cone,, unless i can get a dealer to swap out the dual freq ducer with a single freq ducer

8. bushwack

bushwack New Member

State:
    missouri
    And now i see that it looks like some of the x135's come with a 60 degree cone angle

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The dual freq is 12 degrees on the 200 khz, wider on the 50 khz. I have the df on one side of the boat (for backup) but purchased a separate hf and installed on the other side. Unless you fish very shallow water, it really isn't a big deal, but I like to watch my bait when I'm straight line drifting in timber, and the df wouldn't quite do it unless I switched to the 50 khz mode.