Color of line

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Buddrice, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was running my noodles one night with a friend and I had Black line on mine and he had White line on his and he out caught me two to one and we were using the same bait.Does it really mater what color of line you use? Do you have a preference of color?

2. texasnitehunter

texasnitehunter New Member

State:
    NE Texas
    I use black line on mine, because that is what we have used for the past twenty + years on our trotlines. I have not used any other color yet, but after following ya'lls posting on fishing the red river thread, I have brought some green line, but haven't got around to changing any of them out yet. My plans are to change about half of my jugs to the green line. :0a22:

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have tryed green dyed, white and the black tarred lined. I prefer the black tarred nylon braid.

4. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I use the tarred black as well. It last a while and knots dont slip. I do a good bit of net knitting so its all i use.
    Im interested in seeing the responses to this question, i honestly never thought about it.

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Hot Pink Buddy!!!!

I use green braided nylon for all my jugs, trotlines, and limblines. Most of the times, I really don't think it matters, but........sometimes I think it does. Green line is the least visible line in the water compaired with black or white. This is my reasonin', and it works pretty good for me!

6. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have used all types and colors of line on my jugs over the years. I now use
    green dot Dacon braided nylon, the kind you would use deep sea fishing. I
    use 90 lb. test. This line has no memory, cuts well with scissors, doesn't fray,
    holds knots well, and you don't have to burn the ends. I also use this on trotline drops.
    Poppa

7. DoubleG

DoubleG New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I use White for trotlines, jugs have either Black or Red, Rod and reels have Green. I can not tell a noticeable difference from any of them. I think the cats bait of choice is the thing that matters..

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know that it really matters. I use black tarred twisted line for the main line on my trots, and green nylon braid for the drops. Once a guy that I was fishing with bought one of those white pre-made trotlines from Wal Mart, and I was poking fun about that. I said you can't catch a fish on white line. Well...he got the skunk. Not one fish. I caught several. I think it had more to do with location, but I woulda thought he would at least catch a channel cat, but nope.

9. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I've used white,green,and black.Caught fish on all of them,but I like the black tarred best.Hey Gooboy,I did make 2 short trotlines out of some floresant pink line one time just to see if color mattered.Baited it with deer liver and caught 4 nice channels.I believe it has a lot to do with location and not necessarily the color of the line.Just my 2 cents worth.

10. CatfishAngler25

CatfishAngler25 New Member

State:
    Prestonsburg,Kentucky
    No i dont believe the color has anything to do with it. When Catfish want to eat they eat it they dont get disturbed by the line. when the bait feels different or smells odd to them they will let the line go. Color i dont believe matters

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana

Another reason could be smell. Did you have hand cream on or some smell on your hands, he did not have on his????

Smell can easily transfer from your hands to the bait.

Just another idea, for an answer to your problem.

Like gas or oil, the smell stays.

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    True it don,t matter to a cat what color But your smell does

13. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i believe color only matters to an extent. i use mainly cajun red or neon green, but they all work i think its just the luck of the draw for the most part...RAT

14. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    cajun red becomes invisible to fish after 3 feet underwater from what I've heard catfish are not line shy so it really doesn't matter

15. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    While it is true red is the first color to filter out underwater...all that means is that the color of the line disappears.

It DOES NOT mean that the line disappears.

What you are left with is essentially a black colored line after that magic "-3 feet" level is achieved.

Put it into context...as the article below does....

You are diving underwater holding a red rubber ball...as you descend...the color fades out of view...but does the ball disappear?

No...it does not...it turns to what we perceive as black in color at that depth....but still plainly visible.

Red line...red hooks...they sure are pretty...but about all they...as far as color wise...truly catch is fishermen as they peruse the terminal tackle section of their local bait shop.

As far as whether or not catfish can become line shy?

Catfish are generally associated as being a "swimming toungue"...or that they sense electrical impulses inside their preys central nervous system.

These are valuable tools indeed to mr. whiskers...especially in dingy or muddy water...or...at night.

But...our catfish DO have VERY good eyesight...and they certainly do utilize that when possible.

In clear water...during the daylight hours...during which time they do in fact feed regularly...catfish are said to hunt exclusively by eyesight.

In my experience with the crystal clear strip pits we have here locally in se Kansas...line visibility does indeed matter.

Depending upon WHEN a guy tries to catch the channel in clear water.

During the daylight hours in clear water...line visibility plays a role in my success.

I have noticed that using a flourocarbon line greatly increases my odds...as the fish seem to notice that gaudy solar green big game 20 lb mono.

I have switched to a flouro carbon when I fish those pits...which takes on nearly the same refraction of the light in water...a 1.41 refraction index vs. a refractive index reading of 1.33 for water...which would mean anything 1.33 and under would be invisible.

In comparison...regular mono would be a 1.62 refractive index reading.

Using flouro under the clear/bright conditions...I have caught more fish after the switch...and have never looked back

Now at night time...or in dingy water obviously...I have noticed that line color or thickness plays NO perceivable role...when there is little or no visibility anyhow.

I have equal success with flouro, clear mono, solar, or even braid line during those times.

http://redfishriviera.com/blog/?p=196

http://www.riversmallies.com/guestart_tdixon1.html

16. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I've notice that while alot of fishermen were using their best homemade baits for catfish I was catching mine on nightcrawlers. Using the same bait don't always work & neither does the line. I've learned from patience that when fish wants to bite they bite & when they don't they don't. I can't change their minds.:sad2:

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    It's not so much that they bite or don't bite when they want to...but rather they are subject to their environment and it's propensity to change, which governs their "appetite".

The best thing we can do as anglers is to pay attention to these critical details...experiment with different techniques and offerings...and above all...remember what worked in the past...as well as what did not....and learn to apply these lessons to our future efforts. (A journal is a GREAT way to record this data)

At the end of the day this makes us all better fishermen.

18. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I've used all colors trot & limb lining and I've never noticed a difference for cats; but the river I fish is murky 24/7, that's probably why. I could see line color making a difference in clear water.
    I recently bought some bright florescent orange twisted nylon (first time for that color) to use for limblines this year for the sole reason of making it easier for me to find them when I check them. The thought never even occurred to me that the catfish might not like it. I suspect it won't make a difference.

19. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Iv alwaya used solor green but iv herd that the cajun red lightnen is vinvisible in as little as 3 feet of water. Is that true?

20. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Did you not read the thread before you posted?

There's alot of good info on this site...but ya gotta check it out to get the point.

Go back 5 posts...read it, check out the links...you'll find what you want to know. :wink: